Forum Index > Trail Talk > Boundary Trail Conditions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostThu May 31, 2018 5:13 pm 
I am considering doing a one-way east-to-west traverse of the so-called Boundary Trail from Irongate west of Loomis across the Pasayten to Ross Lake in early September. From reading up in "Trekking Washington" (and on an old trip report on this site that I can no longer find), I gather that the route has a lot of blowdown, fire and routefinding challenges, especially if you use the Castle Pass- Lightning Creek exit. The trip report I can now no longer find actually made the whole ordeal sound like a bit of a nightmare, and I want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into. I am wondering if anyone has recently traveled the area and can provide an update as to trail conditions. I am planning to do the basic Irongate-Horshow-Apex Pass-Cathedral Pass- Ashnola River route. Then to Bunker Hill and down to the Pasayten River and upsteam to three forks. It seems there are options for exits at Three Forks: Slate Pass, Woody Pass or Holman Pass. Or maybe Castle Pass-Lightning Creek (if it's been maintained more recently than my intelligence suggests). I'd greatly appreciate any advice as to this trip, recommended routes, side-trips, and whether or not it seems realistic to start it on September 8th and to complete it in eight days hiking.

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu May 31, 2018 8:02 pm 
Not sure if this will help you....from 2014 but the parts of the Boundary Trail we were on then only presented a few problems at creek crossings and a few washout areas. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8012499&highlight=pasayten+wilderness

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Perry

Perry
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:50 pm 
At this point I don't think anyone knows how much damage last years Diamond creek fire did.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 12:19 pm 
I hiked part of the boundary trail with my son last year shortly before the Diamond Creek fire broke out. The trail was fairly easy to follow from Sheep Mountain to Bunker Hill. There were some blowdowns but not too bad. West of Bunker Hill the trail gets hard to follow. There were a few miles where we had to be on our toes looking for any sign of trail. As you approach the Pasayten River, it becomes easier to follow again. We didn't follow the boundary trail across the river. We went up the valley to the Hidden Lakes. There were about three miles of the worst blowdowns I've ever hiked through. There were large sections where we were just stepping from one log onto another.