Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Lakes, Enchantment Basin, Little Annapurna - 2018-06-01
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 2:30 pm 
Not being a fan of overly popular areas with permit complications, I had never been to the Enchantments. But even hikers who have seen everything in the Cascades say it's really pretty, so with a cloudy forecast for the west-side and clear on the east-side I decided to finally day hike it. Not wanting to be judged by Harvey Manning, I did the Snow Lakes approach in & out.
Tweedy's Lewisia - There are a few beautiful spots with Lewisia along the trail
Tweedy's Lewisia - There are a few beautiful spots with Lewisia along the trail
Nada Lake
Nada Lake
Nada Lake from the climb to Snow Lakes
Nada Lake from the climb to Snow Lakes
Nada Lake
Nada Lake
Log jam at Upper Snow Lake with McClellan in the background
Log jam at Upper Snow Lake with McClellan in the background
I didn't have very high expectations of the Snow Lakes approach, but it's actually quite pretty. The section until Nada Lake has wonderful flowers, is not very dusty this time of the year, and the forest is very lush, pretty similar to forest on the west side of the crest. The trail gets a bit more rocky after Nada lake. Between Nada lake and Snow Lakes there are some boulder fields to cross where to trail is covered by presumably new boulders. The section from Upper Snow Lake to Lake Viviane is remarkably bad. Very eroded, often there is no clear trail and you just scramble up rocks, guided by cairns. This is probably the worst official trail I've been on. It's not suitable for small kids, if anybody can drag them this far into the mountains. I saw a few snowshoe hares on this section. They looked very cute in their mixed winter/summer coat. I normally don't see many because I always walk with a dog and they are alerted too early. There are some easy, flat snow patches from the approach to Snow Lakes until Lake Viviane, but nothing complicated (just mind the holes later on the day). Just before Lake Viviane there is some snow that is a little harder to cross if you can't kick good steps, but nothing too complicated.
Mountain Goat at Lake Viviane with Prusik Peak in the background
Mountain Goat at Lake Viviane with Prusik Peak in the background
Lake Viviane
Lake Viviane
Outlet of Lake Viviane
Outlet of Lake Viviane
Looking back at Upper Snow Lake
Looking back at Upper Snow Lake
Larch needles starting a new season
This tree at Lake Viviane has seen a lot
This tree at Lake Viviane has seen a lot
Lake Viviane starting to meld
Lake Viviane starting to meld
Prusik Peak
Prusik Peak
Lake Viviane is quite pretty. It looks like most people who have a core permit camp there this time of the year, probably because after Lake Viviane everything is snow-covered. It was a bit of a zoo there because of this.
Leprechaun Lake
Leprechaun Lake
Water slowly breaking through the snowpack
Water slowly breaking through the snowpack
Creek in the Enchantment Bain
Creek in the Enchantment Bain
Tarns, Prusik and The Temple
Tarns, Prusik and The Temple
Little Annapurna rising about 1500ft above Perfection Lake
Little Annapurna rising about 1500ft above Perfection Lake
Perfection Lake
Perfection Lake
Little Annapurna
Little Annapurna
It had been fairly cold the last night, with some fresh snow and icicles forming
It had been fairly cold the last night, with some fresh snow and icicles forming
Prusik Peak  and the Temple for Enchantment Basin
Prusik Peak and the Temple for Enchantment Basin
Dragontail Peak from Isolation Lake
Dragontail Peak from Isolation Lake
Witches Tower and Dragontail Peak
Witches Tower and Dragontail Peak
I roughly followed the summer trail to the top of the Aasgard Pass. It was pretty, but it's probably nicer when the lakes have melted out a bit more. It's currently mostly rocks and snow.
Lake Colchuck from the top of the Aasgard Pass with Cashmere to the right
Lake Colchuck from the top of the Aasgard Pass with Cashmere to the right
Dragontail Peak from the top of the Aasgard Pass
Cashmere from Aasgard
Cashmere from Aasgard
NW panorama from top of Aasgard Pass
NW panorama from top of Aasgard Pass
I was considering doing either Dragontail Peak or Little Annapurna, but from the Aasgard Pass the snow to the col looked pretty steep. I decided to keep it a bit mellow and go to Little Annapurna via West Annapurna.
Little Annapurna and West Annapurna from top of Aasgard
Little Annapurna and West Annapurna from top of Aasgard
Mt Rainier from the gap between Little and West Annapurna (Teanaway in the foreground)
Mt Rainier from the gap between Little and West Annapurna (Teanaway in the foreground)
Mt Adams (Earl in the foreground)
Mt Adams (Earl in the foreground)
Glacier Peak from Little Annapurna
Glacier Peak from Little Annapurna
How many Ptarmigans can you find?
The west ridge of Little Annapurna is melted out, and travel is pretty easy. The views from Little Annapurna were even better than I anticipated.
Enchantment Basin panorama from Little Annapurna
Little Annapurna panorama from Glacier Peak to Cannon.  Bonanza in the distance.
Little Annapurna panorama from Glacier Peak to Cannon. Bonanza in the distance.
Dragontail ridge
Dragontail ridge
From Little Annapurna, looking down to Upper Snow Lake between The Temple (left) and McClellan (right)
From Little Annapurna, looking down to Upper Snow Lake between The Temple (left) and McClellan (right)
Edward Mesa from Little Annapurna, looking over Prusik Pass
Edward Mesa from Little Annapurna, looking over Prusik Pass
Enchantment Peaks and Cannon
Enchantment Peaks and Cannon
From Little Annapurna: Enchantment Peaks, Cannon, Edward Mesa, Prusik Peak, The Temple
From Little Annapurna: Enchantment Peaks, Cannon, Edward Mesa, Prusik Peak, The Temple
Nightmare Needles from Little Annapurna
Mt Stuart from Little Annapurna
From Little Annapurna: Mt Stuart and the ridge to Dragontail Peak
From Little Annapurna: Mt Stuart and the ridge to Dragontail Peak
Teanaway pano from Little Annapurna
Teanaway pano from Little Annapurna
HiBox/Chikamin area over Hawkins
HiBox/Chikamin area over Hawkins
Earl, Bean and the Hardscrabble Creek drainage
Bonanza peak in the far distance from Little Annapurna
Bonanza peak in the far distance from Little Annapurna
Unnamed lake north of Little Annapurna
Unnamed lake north of Little Annapurna
Mountain Goat
Mountain Goat
Enchantment Basin panorama
Enchantment Basin panorama
After this the long way down from 8440 to the 1300ft trailhead ... Uneventful, and mostly a mental challenge. I saw an Osprey fishing at Nada lake, which was cool to see. Misc notes: - Brought snowshoes, didn't need them (it did soften up during the day, so it depends on how much it freezes during the night before - I guess snowshoes may be useful in some conditions) - Brought crampons and used them. Traction devices would have been fine. - Brought an ice axe and used it, but not really needed (obviously depends on what you plan to do in the basin). - I brought boots as well as trail runners for the long approach. I used trailrunners until Lake Viviane. This worked pretty well, except I somehow developed an epic blister on the way out. I probably didn't tape/tie correctly. - I was surprised how many backpackers were heading up to the core. I think there were at least 10 parties there, and several were big groups. I had expected the permit system to be more constrained on how many parties are allowed. Everybody was in great spirit and very happy to be visiting the area, so it was kind of fun to talk with people. - Time: started hiking at 4:30am, back at car at 8:30pm - The initial hour or so is very easy trail, and is fine to hike in the dark to do this later in the season when days are shorter and warmer. - Distance: 24 miles, 7800 ft gain
Snow Lakes, Enchantment Basin, Little Annapurna GPS track (24 miles, 7800ft gain)
Snow Lakes, Enchantment Basin, Little Annapurna GPS track (24 miles, 7800ft gain)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
General ****

General ****
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 5:32 pm 
Really appreciate your trip report, and your photos are spectacular!

The General primarily backpacks solo.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 5:47 pm 
You sure got a clear day. I enjoyed the Teanaway pano.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 pm 
Nice detail, as you are inclined to always give. Your report will be useful for folks who haven't been up there. For those of us who have been there, it is fun to vicariously experience it again without the sweat.
mbravenboer wrote:
It's not suitable for small kids, if anybody can drag them this far into the mountains.
Your little hiker will do it in just a few more years, I betcha! smile.gif
I love the lighting in this picture. At first, before enlarging, I mistook the cloud shadows for a very large body of water! Whaaaattt?🤔

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 6:22 pm 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 7:46 pm 
up.gif I saw 2 ptarmigan in each picture, am I missing some?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 7:49 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
On Monday I climbed Earl from Bean Creek trail, then followed the ridge to the base of Bean Pk (didn't climb it though). It's shocking how melted out everything south facing is compared to the north slope in your pic here.

christensent

christensent
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 8:02 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
Between Nada lake and Snow Lakes there are some boulder fields to cross where to trail is covered by presumably new boulders.
That was like that last summer too, but has not always been that way. I think there was a massive rock fall event in either 2016 or 2017.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm 
Most people do this from the higher approach. That's a heck of a day all the way up from the lower end and then walk out that way too.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:48 pm 
Thanks all for the nice comments!
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Your little hiker will do it in just a few more years, I betcha! smile.gif
I do hope so smile.gif. Now I have a little hiker I find myself making notes on the exposure and general obstacles for kids all the time. It's not super well documented in guide books, probably the general assumption is that kids don't get very far anyway (kid-friendly often simply means short).
RichP wrote:
Most people do this from the higher approach.
Yeah, that's what the Manning reference was about wink.gif. One of the paragraphs from the book (and the less offensive paragraph!)
Manning wrote:
A wilderness-mature adult ascends ritually and respectfully from the picturesque lower basin to the austere upper basin and at last to the cold snows and stern stones of Aasgard. To start with the ice cream and work through the meatballs and potatoes to the soup is not esthetic. Coming to the Enchantments by way of Aasgard is in very bad taste.
I wouldn't put it like that, but the 'ritually' and 'respectfully' was definitely a little bit my motivation for going via Snow Lakes. Just reading about all the Aasgard madness doesn't make me want to go there. Having done the Snow Lakes approach now though, I'm not sure if I would do it again if I would be aiming for peaks on the west-side (I'd like to do Cannon one day). For visiting the basin, I think it's quite nice.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
It's shocking how melted out everything south facing is compared to the north slope in your pic here.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing judging from Teanaway reports!
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I saw 2 ptarmigan in each picture, am I missing some?
Not that I'm aware off wink.gif. I guess it was a little too easy, at least knowing there are Ptarmigans in it.
christensent wrote:
That was like that last summer too, but has not always been that way. I think there was a massive rock fall event in either 2016 or 2017.
Ah thanks!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:23 am 
mbravenboer wrote:
RichP wrote:
Most people do this from the higher approach.
Yeah, that's what the Manning reference was about wink.gif. One of the paragraphs from the book (and the less offensive paragraph!)
Manning wrote:
A wilderness-mature adult ascends ritually and respectfully from the picturesque lower basin to the austere upper basin and at last to the cold snows and stern stones of Aasgard. To start with the ice cream and work through the meatballs and potatoes to the soup is not esthetic. Coming to the Enchantments by way of Aasgard is in very bad taste.
Harvey would really have ratcheted up his disdain for us "wilderness-immature" trail runners. agree.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
silence

silence
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:55 am 
As always great report and awesome photos up.gif up.gif up.gif I'm shocked at the number of parties you saw up there this early We went in via Snow Lake as well ... camping at Perfection and wandering the lower and upper basins for 2 days. While I've always wanted to return via Aasgard, esp with some snow on the ground (early or late season), I don't regret our first time choice. It was incredibly scenic, in spite of the wildfire we experienced (waking up in a smoky whiteout the first morning) But, we went high that day, found clear skies, and had the whole upper basin to ourselves (later found out because they had closed the Pass). Next day the lower basin had cleared of smoke and a lot of campers, so it was pretty sweet. Plus, being Oct, the larch were in their full glory.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
neek

neek
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:48 am 
I like the larch needle shots. In 3 short months they'll be starting to turn... That Manning quote is hilarious. For those doing the loop, the right answer to which way is "both", since each offers a unique experience.

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 5:16 pm 
Spectacular report, many thanks!

Timbertoes

Timbertoes
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:22 pm 
My father took me and two older siblings into the upper Enchantments in 1963 when I was 7 years old. Twenty years ago I repeated that trip with my own 7 year old son. All it took was patience and trail mix. Lots of trail mix.