Forum Index > Trip Reports > Buckhorn Pass via Tubal Cain: 06/02/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:28 am 
Grabbed the last spot in the parking lot at 10am. A few rhodies have popped, but the rest probably won't put on a show for another two weeks.
Someone vandalized a tree alongside the trail. :-/
After a few miles, I took the steep side trail up to the Tull Canyon plane wreck. Didn't stay too long as there were a number of people already checking it out. Here is a website with more information about the crash.
Headed down and then up again to Tubal Cain Mine. The mine seems to go on forever. I turned around before reaching the end.
Then it was time to head up to Buckhorn Pass. Flowers are starting to pop along the high trail.
The views kept getting better the closer to the pass I got. The pass was quite beautiful.
P1100526-Pano
P1100526-Pano
On the way down from the pass, I decided to take the side trail to Buckhorn Lake. The lake was better looking than I expected.
Headed back to the main trail, pointed my boots downtrail, and let gravity do the rest. Back at the car around 8pm. 16 mi RT with about 2600 gain. Another great day in the hills!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 7:36 am 
Great photos, and looks like a great day overall! (thanks for the photos of the surrounding hills too, definitely helps to know what conditions to expect out there)

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
evergreen199

evergreen199
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 2:40 pm 
Nice photos! I did almost the same trip starting about an hour ahead of you (I continued up to Buckhorn Mt, but did not check out the side trip to the lake and I didn't go as far into the mine as you did). From the main trail I didn't think the lake would be very nice, but your photo makes me think it might have been worth it. You did a great job capturing the day!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 2:58 pm 
up.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 4:01 pm 
evergreen199 wrote:
From the main trail I didn't think the lake would be very nice
Having looked down on it from Buckhorn Mt a few years ago, I wasn't expecting much. It wasn't too bad, but you didn't miss out on a whole lot smile.gif

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 5:39 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Nice TR! But about that "leaf face"... Late August 2016 I did a solo hike up the Skokomish down the Duck, with a loop around Hart Lake, etc. For the first several miles, and then a few times later, I came across many faces, which kept me in good spirits. That wasn't you was it? up.gif up.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:40 pm 
If I recall correctly, those holes in the leaves are the result of hungry insects, not people. There were several of them along the trail, none of which were crafted by my hands!

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 pm 
Thanks for the report from one of my favorite areas. I think I need to head up there in a couple of weeks when the rhodies start blooming.
fourteen410 wrote:
If I recall correctly, those holes in the leaves are the result of hungry insects, not people. There were several of them along the trail, none of which were crafted by my hands!
This was bantered about here back in 2007. Bruce laid claim to making them, some of them anyway. I have even seen some salal leaf faces on Green Mountain in Kitsap County.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir