Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dunn, Hoodoo, Bodie, Chopaka, Juniper Point - 2-3 June 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 pm 
Mike C, Craig W, and I spent the past weekend in Eastern Washington once again checking off several T200 prom peaks. Temps on Saturday were mild with a thin overcast at times, making for pleasant hiking. Sunday was a bit cooler with a stiff breeze on the summit of Chopaka. On cue, it was raining lightly as we crossed back over Snoqualmie Pass into Western Washington. We left Issaquah at 6am Saturday morning and by noon were on the summit of Dunn Mountain (5360+ ft; P1760) just southeast of Colville. A road reaches to the benchmark .2 miles SW of the summit. Nice views from the top to Chewelah. Our next objective was Hoodoo Mountain (5158 ft; P1878), which we initially approached from the east via Nancy Creek. We found a large washout that has completely taken out the road after 2 miles (~2,000ft), so this approach seems no longer suitable. Fortunately another road 3.7 miles north via Deadman Creek got us within about 2 miles of the peak at ~3,200 ft where we started hiking. If determined (and if you had a hand saw to clear a few blowdowns) you could drive another mile to ~3,600ft. From the end of the road we followed the steep wooded NW ridge to the open and rocky summit (5.4mi RT and 1,800 ft elevation gain; some brush). Views from the top were outstanding in all directions. Our last peak of the day was Bodie Mountain (5,739 ft; P1899) which is located north of Republic. A long series of forest roads gets you to the final 1.7 mile Bodie Mountain road to the top where there are several DNR repeaters. This final road is deeply rutted down low so we opted to walk up to the top in the twilight, arriving at 10pm (3.4 miles RT and 729 ft elevation gain). Bodie is a former fire lookout and due to its prominence has some great views in all directions, including fine views of Bonaparte and Moses. It was a shame to be there in the fading light but also cool as we could see the lights of the Buckhorn mining operation off to the northwest. After walking back to the car we decided to head over towards our Sunday objective finally finding a place to car camp outside Loomis at about 1am. A long day for sure! Sunday morning we had a delightful climb of Chopaka Mountain (7881 ft; P1811) via the snow free south ridge (3.2 mi RT and 1,600 ft elevation gain) where the summit offered great views West into the Eastern Pasayten Wilderness peaks. Following this we made one more stop on our way out to visit the Juniper Point lookout site where we found some neat old relics of this old lookout location (1.3 mi RT and 200 ft elevation gain). I look forward for Eric W to visit this location in the future and document its history on his outstanding Web site. With our main objectives for the weekend accomplished we decided to head back to the west side early. All in all another great weekend. Some pictures follow:
Dunn Mtn BM
Dunn Mtn BM
Mike and Craig on Hoodoo Mountain summit
Mike and Craig on Hoodoo Mountain summit
Bodie Mountain old lookout footings and steps
Bodie Mountain old lookout footings and steps
Mike and Craig on Chopaka summit
Mike and Craig on Chopaka summit
Copaka BM
Copaka BM
Original US and Canadian Boundary Survey Mark
Original US and Canadian Boundary Survey Mark
Tiffany group from Chopaka
Tiffany group from Chopaka
Windy Peak from Chopaka
Windy Peak from Chopaka
Horseshoe Basin peaks from Chopaka
Horseshoe Basin peaks from Chopaka
Mike at Juniper Point LO ground house remnants
Mike at Juniper Point LO ground house remnants
Juniper Point LO remnants
Juniper Point LO remnants

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm 
This was a fun trip, covering a lot of mileage in north-central Washington. My favorite location visited was Chopaka Mountain. My favorite moment was finding a large moose paddle (antler) during the hiking approach to Hoodoo Mountain. My least favorite moment was a tie between getting bit head-to-toe by mosquitoes on Hoodoo Mountain, versus getting bit head-to-toe by mosquitoes on Chopaka Mountain.
Dunn Mtn Summit
Dunn Mtn Summit
Nancy had a deep flow
Nancy had a deep flow
Glad Mike could not see this!
Glad Mike could not see this!
Hoodoo, In The Distance
Hoodoo, In The Distance
Ascending Hoodoo, North Ridge
Ascending Hoodoo, North Ridge
Hoodoo Mtn Summit
Hoodoo Mtn Summit
One of Bodie Towers
One of Bodie Towers
Bodie BM
Bodie BM
Not my greatest selfie
Not my greatest selfie
Mike and Paul, going off-trail...
Mike and Paul, going off-trail...
Mike and Paul, heading up...
Mike and Paul, heading up...
Chopaka, In The Distance
Chopaka, In The Distance
Paul nears the summit...
Paul nears the summit...
Chopaka Mtn Summit
Chopaka Mtn Summit
Mike and Paul, heading down...
Mike and Paul, heading down...
Are you sure this is a road?
Are you sure this is a road?
Seriously, this is a road?
Seriously, this is a road?
OK, I can see the "trail" now...
OK, I can see the "trail" now...
Mike and Paul at Juniper Point LO site
Mike and Paul at Juniper Point LO site
Mike near Juniper Point LO wreckage
Mike near Juniper Point LO wreckage
Selfie near the wreckage
Selfie near the wreckage

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 7:42 pm 
Well you guys sure had a busy few days, awesome! Especially hitting Chopaka up. This summer I'm going to try to get a sunrise glow pic of Chopaka from the BLM land on little chopaka in the valley.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 am 
👍🏻 Chopaka looks interesting.

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 am 
wildernessed wrote:
👍🏻 Chopaka looks interesting.
There's enough to do just in that area to putz around for a couple of days. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8024723

Paul M

Paul M
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am 
Yeah, we agree with all of you... Chopaka is located in a very nice area and looks to offer great early season hiking opportunities. You start high and can quickly get above tree line to roam as you see fit. We saw a healthy black bear just before reaching the trail head and some deer on the drive in as well. We also had plans on doing Little Chopaka after but we were a bit tired from the long Saturday so left that for a return visit...