Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Disruption: How SpaceX beat Boeing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 am 
great article on how SpaceX's push to become dominant in the launch game, became reality How Elon Musk's rocket company SpaceX beat Boeing

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:49 am 
Why would we want to go to Mars? There are no oceans for us to fill full of discarded plastics.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 am 
I worked at the "Lazy B" for most of the '80s -- managers then weren't rewarded for forming agile teams that could solve tough problems quickly -- the model for success then was the ability to convince the clients ( air force, NASA, etc ) that this was a big project requiring a big team and a long time. This kind thinking permeated the commerical side as well. My observation was that there was about a 50% "deadwood" factor -- people the either did nothing or it was better if they did nothing. The only people I saw get fired were the ones actively stealing from the company. The guy who running a mailing list service using Boeing computers for example. Rewards for high contributors were shockingly small someone could come up with an innovation that saved the company over $12 million and be rewarded with a 6% pay increase. By contrast when I worked at Microsoft during the '90s we fired people for being incompetent or lazy ( as well as the ones stealing) and I saw people that were high contributors get 40% pay boosts.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am 
Ski wrote:
Why would we want to go to Mars? There are no oceans for us to fill full of discarded plastics.
They calculated the moon craters would fill up to fast, if we used it as a landfill, and the reflection from all those bottles and cans would be irritating, so it was decided we need to scope out Mars for its potential as a landfill, as all that reflection would just make for a prettier "evening star". Musk needs to investigate shooting all our garbage into the sun. The only Real Solution and could be quite profitable for him. hockeygrin.gif

friluftsliv
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:17 am 
The only problem is if we shot all the garbage into space the earths mass would be reduced to a point that the oceans might all float away clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 am 
Randy I worked at Boeing for 37 years in many commercial and military jobs. My consistent experience was quite the opposite of your experience, or how Boeing was portrayed on Almost Live (which I loved, BTW). Lots of smart folks working hard. Failure to reward innovation and a 50% workforce would never have yielded the current bottom line nor unprecedented delivery rates in an extremely competitive global environment. This required years of innovation and hard work to upgrade technologies in the products and manufacturing systems particularly during and after the 80's. As regards convincing customers that contracts were harder than reality, the facts are exactly the opposite. Boeing consistently underestimated the cost and schedule of both commercial and military development programs starting in the 80's. Not a good thing either. We lost a few contracts for sure. But the only thing I can think of that's on par with the complexity and longevity of a Boeing airplane is a hydroelectric dam.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 pm 
Damian wrote:
Randy I worked at Boeing for 37 years in many commercial and military jobs.
Your experience is your experience. 37 years at Boeing -- how many years at any other company? I worked for Boeing for 10 years, ADIC for 9 months, a tiny company you never heard of for 5 years, Microsoft for 20 years and a consulting firm for 2 years.

Damian

Damian
PostMon Jun 04, 2018 10:17 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Your experience is your experience.
Thanks. I had no idea. Was I suggesting otherwise? Just pointing out the facts don't support your statements very well. clown.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 am 
Damian wrote:
Just pointing out the facts don't support your statements very well. clown.gif
I'm pointing out that your sample size is 1 -- If you've only worked at Boeing -- how can you compare it to working anywhere else?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am 
I'd say that his position a fair distance up the food chain at the Lazy B, plus the time put in and D's danged good judgement gives him a fair read on everything he's been in contact with. On the other hand, something has resulted in SpaceX eating Boeing space's lunch.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Damian

Damian
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:31 am 
Randy I've worked as a mechanical engineer at 4 aerospace companies and for a power utility. I am still working as an aerospace engineer. I'm curious what I said that indicated a sample size of one. I have a hard time with your 50% number as it strikes 10s of thousands of damn good people. I commend anyone that knocks off Boeing, including SpaceX. Others have done it too. Part of what I love about the industry is the competition.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 am 
Damian wrote:
Randy I've worked as a mechanical engineer at 4 aerospace companies and for a power utility. I am still working as an aerospace engineer. I'm curious what I said that indicated a sample size of one.
Your OP indicated 37 years at Boeing- In my response I asked how many years at other companies-- which you didn't respond with any data. Now you've indicated you've worked at 4 other aerospace companies and a utility company. Where the 4 aerospace companies subcontractors of Boeing? Or do you have 37 years with Boeing and how many years independent of Boeing? And you are still working? IME at Boeing as a software guy, I found that Boeing had a hard time retaining talented software people -- the top contributors were siphoned off by companies like Microsoft, Adobe and now Amazon. The interview process at Microsoft is quite intensive-- my own interview took a total of 12 hours over two days -- on the other end it I interviewed about 50 candidates for jobs at Microsoft-- three of which were actually hired. My Boeing experience was quite different- the interview for consisted of a phone call from the HR department informing me of the offered salary and start date. There was another guy who started the same day, in the same job title-- he had better qualifications on paper than I did, but was not only shockingly technically incompetent, but had personally issues that caused a lot of disruption-- but he was never fired. My second manager was an alcoholic and would either be asleep in the afternoons or absent once the Longacres race track opened. I recall running into my skip level manager socially a decade later and he confided that demoting my alcoholic manager was the toughest managment decision he had ever made. I've got dozen of other stories. My experience at Microsoft was widely different -- plenty of problems for sure, but technically incompetent people where more like 10% of the population and while much effort is made to help people develop competency-- people were fired when they didn't work diligently to improve their performance. I worked a handful of 60 hour weeks in my decade at Boeing, but no 80 or 100 hour weeks. 60 hours was a typical week at Microsoft -- I would usually have about 4 80 hour weeks per year and while working on xbox one did 3 months of 100 hour weeks. My Boeing experience was all in the '80s and all in software -- it could be vastly different now and off course in big companies different departments and divisions have there own flavor. I certainly hope it has improved.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am 
I said 4 total. No the others were not subcontractors of Boeing, though I'm not sure how that is relevant. In any event my case was based on observance of facts related to Boeing's current bottom line and significant improvements. I claimed no higher ground due to outside experiences, though I have plenty to compare to Boeing. And everywhere I've worked I've met disgruntled employees. No I no longer work at Boeing. Lighten up my friend. I respect your experience and views. After all, your experience is your experience. wink.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 4:01 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I worked a handful of 60 hour weeks in my decade at Boeing, but no 80 or 100 hour weeks. 60 hours was a typical week at Microsoft -- I would usually have about 4 80 hour weeks per year and while working on xbox one did 3 months of 100 hour weeks.
Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I worked a handful of 60 hour weeks in my decade at Boeing, but no 80 or 100 hour weeks. 60 hours was a typical week at Microsoft -- I would usually have about 4 80 hour weeks per year and while working on xbox one did 3 months of 100 hour weeks.
Is that supposed to be a good thing?
The context of the discussion was my "Lazy B" experience vs Damian's assertion that Boeing is hard working. Yeah working for MSFT was intense -- however I really liked how people that worked their butts off got paid substantially more and the slackers would get nothing extra. ETA -- I retired about a year ago -- I'm not yet 60 -- The dollar for dollar 401K matching to 15% I received was a good thing. Probably the same number of career hours worked than if I had stayed at Boeing and retired at 65.