Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ham Radio in the wilderness?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:11 am 
I know this was covered a few years back (2010 is a few years to some of us), but wondered if there were other Ham Radio fans out there who carry their handi-talkies with them. I recently got my Technician license and a very nice Yaesu radio (most important factor: waterproof). Went for a hike on the Middle Fork trail and managed to hit the PSE Rattlesnake repeater for a fair ways. Anyone else carry a Ham radio with them? What frequencies do you usually monitor? Do you tune in on the National calling frequency of 146.52 MHz or just stick to the closest repeater? http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2013/05/3295/ Anyone ever call for help via Ham Radio? What was the response and how did it work out? HikerJohn aka KI7RAW

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 10:55 am 
I have occasionally carried my radio, but it hasn't been a regular thing for me because my actual HAM radio is a 2-lb brick. A few times I've monitored the Rattlesnake repeater. The other times it's been 146.52. Listening on 146.52 can be fun because sometimes the Summits on the Air (SOTA) folks are on there trying to make contacts from the top of a mountain. I was on Granite once and responded to a call. It turned out to be some friends of mine that had climbed one of the nearby mountains!

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 am 
Hadn't heard of SOTA but I'll tune in on that.. BTW, the radio I got is a Yaesu VX-6R-- weight 9.6 oz, Tri-band, and SUBMERSIBLE (which I won't test, but I figure at least it will be more rainproof than a Baofeng disposable...

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
Hadn't heard of SOTA but I'll tune in on that..
Seems like a great way to combine peak bagging and ham radio. http://www.pnwsota.org

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm 
This couple always posts about SOTA. I don't know if their reports are available outside Facebook, but anyway: https://www.facebook.com/tim.nair

christensent

christensent
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 7:24 pm 
I have my license and used to carry my radio. I stopped because 9 times out of 10 when I might need it, I'm not in direct line of sight to another person with a radio or a repeater. I now carry a PLB instead. The only time I'm tempted to carry one is on something like an off-season solo climb of a higher peak where you're not going to see another human for days and are completely screwed if something goes even a little wrong, and spend a significant period of time as well as the riskiest section with view of the entire horizon for hundreds of miles. Anything else I see it as pretty much dead weight. Now if it's for fun/hobby then go for it! Personally, I got my license as a tool and have no interest in listening to people on the trail or trying to bounce off repeaters for enjoyment.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat