Forum Index > Trip Reports > Long Drive, Short Hike 6-5-2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 pm 
First of all, is it just me that thinks the aroma from this flower smells like a urinal mint or like a freshly cleaned sani-can / honey bucket? I can't be the only one
Seriously, every time I walk past and get a whiff, I look around, wondering, "who transported up a freshly cleaned port-a-potty" It has a strange and unique odor. Anyway. Long FS road approach to the trailhead. It took me more than a hour to drive the 18 1/2 miles. In that time, I could've been 75 miles further east on the highway and to my first choice for this days hike. I asked myself, "do I want to drive a short distance for a long hike, or, drive a long distance for a short hike?" I chose a short distance for a long hike ( it wasn't a long hike and I'll address that later ) Now, if we're talking distance vs time sitting behind the wheel, I should've chosen driving distance. It would have been a wash and I could've hiked my first choice. It takes me about 2 miles, or 40 minutes to an hour, starting off, before I get warmed up and into a hiking rhythm. This is not! what I want to start out on. Right at the get go and for the first mile and a quarter. Cannon balls and marbles.
Not soon after ascending up the trail, I started feeling, not so good. I figured it would fade after I got into my rhythm. I kept a eye out for the bootpath that exits the main trail. It was exactly where I was expecting it to be 2 1/2 miles up the trail. My physical condition wasn't getting any better but I chose to continue and hoping I could still make this hike a "all-dayer" I arrived into the Basin. Still remnants of snow. It's always cool to see wildlife track in the snow. I followed these for about 200 yards
Very appropriate for where I was Climed up out of the basin and into the clearing and located my gap between the cliff bands. I'm starting to feel worse but one of my intended destinations wasn't too far away. I carried on. Above the cliff bands is where solid snow started. Damn! West of the crest got alot of snow! Still 8 deep in the upper basin I soon arrived at. By now I'm feeling pretty crappy but the landscape was gorgeous! I pulled off my gaiters and layed them out on the snow to sit on. I was thinking maybe I need to put something in my stomach. First thing I ate was a small lunch size package of Peanut Butter Nutter Butter cookies. Guess what? I started feeling better. Go figure... But not good enough to continue. I looked up at my next objective, and, gave it the middle finger I decided to relax and enjoy this basin. Still wanting to kill some time, I went ahead and circumnavigated the lake. I think I timed this one perfectly. The lake in early thaw is absolutely beautiful combined with the snow and the surrounding landscape. I don't think I'd consider this destination in the height of summer. I've seen some pictures and it doesn't look that appealing. I'd consider it in the fall for sure. There was one car at the trailhead when I arrived. I never saw that person(s). That car was gone when I returned to the trailhead. I passed one car on my drive in and passed 1 guy on a dirt bike on my way out. I saw nobody during my travels. Just the way I like it. Ended up being a long drive behind the wheel for a short hike. 1hr 50min to drive 50 miles

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 pm 
Nice pics. Anybody wanna guess which lake this is?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:32 pm 
Looks a lot like Bear Lks......east of Bare Mtn. NFK Snoq headwaters.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 10:15 pm 
Those lake pix are cool!

I desire medium danger williswall.com
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 4:31 am 
Just the road description had me thinking North Fork. Even when that road is in good condition it takes for ever to get to that trail head. Thanks for the report, love that area.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 5:09 am 
Really good call Looper. Now that you mention is, I recognize that waterfall and the pass above Paradise lakes in one of those pics. BPG, you mentioned not wanting to do this hike in the summer. Its a piece of cake.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 5:16 am 
Did you catch any fish?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 am 
timberghost wrote:
Did you catch any fish?
No. I did catch a bear though. I followed these tracks
To this bear cave
Set out some spring loaded bear traps
and had my team fly in a live bear trap
I baited it with some of those Peanut Butter Nutter Butter Cookies. I went up to the lake to kill some time and waited to see if I attracted a bear. I returned to this
Now I have this
( fyi, we're reading Goldilocks )

nordique

nordique
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 7:49 pm 
Really, is it that hard to post a title of where you went, for your trip report? TR's need ID's! Back to WTA where we don't have that very annoying problem! Time for me to delete NW Hikers!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 pm 
nordique wrote:
Really, is it that hard to post a title of where you went, for your trip report? TR's need ID's!
See lopper's post above for ID.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 8:51 pm 
nordique wrote:
Really, is it that hard to post a title of where you went, for your trip report? TR's need ID's! Back to WTA where we don't have that very annoying problem! Time for me to delete NW Hikers!
What'sa matta? Jealous I caught a bear? Go find your own bear catch'n spot!