Forum Index > Trip Reports > Moraine Park MRNP 6.6.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 pm 
Taking advantage of this good weather for a combo hike/bike/trainer, I biked the Ipsut Creek trail and hiked to Moraine Park at 5700 feet. Looks like BrushBuffalo and I have been weathered out of our second scheduled climb of Little Tahoma this weekend, so it was really nice to venture into parts not yet traveled in excellent weather. Every year I bike the Ipsut Creek trail and it seems every year the higher end becomes cobblier. Some sections are not kid friendly but I managed to stay peddling over a long expanse of good sized rocks. However, I knew this would be only a mild detriment after hiking all day; there's nothing like biking downhill for the last 5 miles at the end of the day. At the lower Carbon crossing I ran into the NPS trail crew working on putting in the bridge, cutting trail across the slide area and doing general maintenance. After getting an email, part of my task today was to document blow downs and maintenance issues up to Moraine Park so they know what lies ahead. As it turns out, any blow downs were small and easily passed. However, I'm not sure what they're going to do for the crossing of Dick Creek as the creek has wandered past the end of the current bridge. I was able to position myself off side next to the bridge to leap to the far side and stay feet dry on the ascent, but I knew this would not work coming back as there was nothing safe to leap to (sure enough, I had to do a feet wet crossing here on the return).
Log bridge over Carbon AM
Log bridge over Carbon AM
Green in full swing
Green in full swing
Erosion continues
Erosion continues
Signs of spring
Signs of spring
A hint of purple
A hint of purple
Carbon Glacier Terminus 2
Carbon Glacier Terminus 2
Carbon Glacier Terminus
Carbon Glacier Terminus
Lower Carbon Glacier
Lower Carbon Glacier
Dick Creek wanders past bridge end
Dick Creek wanders past bridge end
Spukwush Creek washing over bridge
Spukwush Creek washing over bridge
Suspension bridge in good shape
Suspension bridge in good shape
Zachary and crew working on the trail
Zachary and crew working on the trail
Crew working on rock slide before Carbon crossing
Crew working on rock slide before Carbon crossing
Carbon River routed behind Ipsut Creek
Carbon River routed behind Ipsut Creek
Continuous snow above 5100'
Continuous snow above 5100'
Lunch Oasis
Lunch Oasis
Willis Wall ice cap
Willis Wall ice cap
Upper Liberty Ridge (left, climbing track visible)
Curtis Ridge
Curtis Ridge
Liberty Ridge
Liberty Ridge
A break from the snow
A break from the snow
Backlit
Backlit
Railing on bridge (PM)
Railing on bridge (PM)
Route over slide established (PM)
Route over slide established (PM)
Bike Stone Hell
Bike Stone Hell
Russell Glacier
Russell Glacier
Moraine Park
Moraine Park
Melt formations
Melt formations
Lunch oasis (much thinner snow)
Lunch oasis (much thinner snow)
Just like last week's sojourn to Klapatche Park, once I hit 5100' there was continuous snow, in many places well over 6 feet deep. However, it was well consolidated and I only post holed about 4 times later in the afternoon on my return in my trail runners and shorts. Under somewhat hazy white skies, I found a small oasis to sit and have some lunch in the considerably thinner snow in upper Moraine Park, deciding there was no motivation to continue another 200 feet up to Mystic Pass on steep snow. From there it was almost all down hill and I finally saw someone else heading down the trail at the suspension bridge, where I stopped for another snack but eventually passed the older gentleman (70's?) in jeans, which he also biked in. Chafe city, but HYOH. I was rather pleased to see the crew had established the end points of the railing on the bridge, and also cut trail across the slide area in the time I had been higher. I made sure to send a detailed report to Zachary with pix this evening, I hope it helps them out. Once I got to the lower parts of the trail I could let the steed run and soon found myself back at my vehicle at 5, making for a 25 mile day (10 on the bike) with 4400 feet of elevation, my legs telling me that was quite enough for this day's trainer in fabulous weather.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:46 am 
Thanks for the update, we have to make a trip up there soon for a memorial and spreading of ashes. This is very helpful and beautiful shots to boot.
williswall wrote:
Great shot in middle left margin of where you come through the cliff bands on to that face. I remember that view looking down well. . . . . . and looking up at that wall of dinnerplate ice.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message