Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cabins Along Franklin Falls Trails (Snoqualmie River)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NolaZag

NolaZag
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am 
Took my young daughter hiking on the Franklin Falls trail this weekend and noticed a lot of cabins on this trail at the beginning. There are several very cool looking cabins right on the edges of the South Fork of the Snoqualmie River. Does anyone have any information about these? Are they privately owned? I am assuming these were built before this area became a national park. I could not find any sales records. Would love to know if any of these cabins in the National park are available to rent or stay at.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:45 am 
National Forest, not Park land; but yeah, they are private land and if rented for recreation, would be done via private landowner. Franklin Falls sure is pretty, isnt' it!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
NorthBen

NorthBen
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 6:49 am 
My understanding is those cabins along the South Fork are all long term "99-year" leases on Forest Service land. Rather than being private property that predates the creation of Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, they're part of the Forest Service's Recreation Residence Program that allowed for people to "own" (through a long-term lease) a cabin that is situated on Forest Service property. See the National Forest Homeowner site for some more info on the overall program. I'm not positive but don't think rentals are allowed as a condition of the lease/special use permit.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jun 08, 2018 10:18 pm 
And it's not a recent program ... 1932 - Summer Home Sites along the Sunset Highway

pipedream

pipedream
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 12:41 am 
Does anyone know the history behind the decaying cabin on the north side of the S. Fk. Snoqualmie River above Franklin Falls & below Fall-in-the-Wall? There used to be a bridge across the river to it from the Denny Ck. Rd.

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostSat Jun 09, 2018 6:34 am 
I’ve looked at it up close, there’s a sizable foundation and chimney left from what it looks like it might of been a small inn from the early days of the Sunset Highway