Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crystal Peak (MRNP) and Summerland
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:10 pm 
When you plan a trip months in advance based on the busy participants' schedules, it isn't uncommon that when the date finally arrives, the weather doesn't. Or rather it does! Just not the weather you had hoped for. We wanted to climb Little Tahoma. I've summited Rainier 20 times by various routes, and several of the others had climbed the Big White as well, but none of us had ever been up the Little Brother, including MRNP master williswall. So when we saw the steadily more ominous forecast for rain all weekend (June 9-10) and snow down to 4,000' on Sunday, we changed plans. I don't really enjoy several inches of wet snow on top of hard snow on a steep slope, which would have been our fate up high on Little T. Besides, when we had a ultra-comfortable cabin to hang out in at Crystal Springs, we didn't relish the thought of camping on Meany Crest in a storm. Getting soft in middle age, stage 2? You bet! What to do? Since the trail to Crystal Peak is just 4.5 miles up US410 from the cabin, and since none of us had been up it (not even WW), we headed up on Saturday. Our party included Marty, Katy, Lydia, RJ, Jack, Steve (williswall), and the brushbuffalo. This trail is splendid, with a gentle but steady gradient and nary a rock or root, except at the start and along the summit ridge. Although new wet snow was accumulating on vegetation, on this west-facing slope we didn't hit old snow until we were at about 5600',and the single 100' snow slope was so mellow that most didn't even unpack ice axes. A slip would merely land one on the huckleberry bushes below, and it was simple to kick bomber buckets in the soft snow.
Williswall and Jack
Williswall and Jack
RJ and Marty
RJ and Marty
Christmas trees
Christmas trees
the sole snowpatch on the Crystal Peak trail
the sole snowpatch on the Crystal Peak trail
red is real
red is real
williswall at the ridgetop cornice
williswall at the ridgetop cornice
It is interesting that the former lookout (I only found two corner blocks, another bit of concrete, and some of the grounding wire) was not on the summit but at the end of the final north-trending switchback. We reasoned that this slightly lower location provided a better view of the White River valley, and the lookout could run up to the top in two minutes to look for smoke to the south.
last bit to the top
last bit to the top
no view today on the top
no view today on the top
not much evidence of the former lookout
not much evidence of the former lookout
Crystal Creek
Crystal Creek
Since the hike to the peak was easy we strolled up to both of the Crystal Lakes from the junction 1.3 miles from the trailhead. Old snow began near the lower lake and was nearly continuous as we approached the upper lake, but the trail was easy to follow. Although Lower Crystal was melted, the upper lake was mostly still frozen. A word of caution: don't be tempted to shortcut down to the lakes from the peak in poor visibilty, as I was briefly tempted for us to try.There are cliffs and also intervening steep snow patches until probably at least midsummer.The trail is longer but generally much less mentally taxing.
our two doctors, Lydia and Katy :whaambulance:
our two doctors, Lydia and Katy whaambulance.gif
Upper Crystal Lake
Upper Crystal Lake
foggy Sourdough Gap (middle distance)
foggy Sourdough Gap (middle distance)
On Sunday williswall, Lydia, Katy, and the BB wanted to go up Shriner Peak to the lookout, partly because it had been my final hike with my brother in 2006 and I had repaired part of the catwalk railing and wanted to inspect it again. But alas! Highway 410 was gated right at the junction to White River entrance, so we ended up hiking to Summerland. The trail was nearly snow-free until about 4800' and almost completely covered after the log-bridge crossing of Fryingpan Creek. The snowy switchbacks up the north-facing timbered slope were steep and since we had all omitted ice axes, not thinking we would need them for Shriner, we were happy to descend from the Summerland shelter via a wide avalanche track to the west of the trail. This slope would be avy prone in early season but under the present conditions we thought it was safer than descending in the steep snowy forest without proper gear.
Fryingpan Creek
Fryingpan Creek
WW points to Panhandle Gap
WW points to Panhandle Gap
"  I AM standing  straight. You're [i:30b39ef28d]looking [/i:30b39ef28d]crooked!"
" I AM standing straight. You're looking crooked!"
a little snow-ballet, with willis wall defying gravity
a little snow-ballet, with willis wall defying gravity
"Winterland" today
"Winterland" today
:confused:
confused.gif
So the moral is always have a Plan B, and in the case of our second day, Plan B option 2. Thanks for a fun weekend, my friends!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 7:23 pm 
I had a splendid time hanging out with this eclectic group, reminding me that going solo most of the time isn't necessarily necessary. I am grateful that BB invited me along. Here's some pix I snapped along our merry way.
Snow towards Panhandle Gap
Snow towards Panhandle Gap
Snow below switchbacks
Snow below switchbacks
Snow above 5000'
Snow above 5000'
Rare sunbreak
Rare sunbreak
Lydia enjoying winter route to the bridge
Lydia enjoying winter route to the bridge
Fryingpan Creek bridge
Fryingpan Creek bridge
Endrunning the switchbacks
Endrunning the switchbacks
Upper Crystal Lake
Upper Crystal Lake
The Girls
The Girls
South slopes still clear
South slopes still clear
Snowing at Lower Crystal Lake
Snowing at Lower Crystal Lake
Snow line
Snow line
Lydia at Upper Crystal Lake
Lydia at Upper Crystal Lake
Color coordinated (Upper Crystal Lake)
Color coordinated (Upper Crystal Lake)
Brush Buffalo eating pizza on Crystal Peak
Brush Buffalo eating pizza on Crystal Peak
After hike dinner
After hike dinner

I desire medium danger williswall.com
BigBubba

BigBubba
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 pm 
Thanks again for the invite! A great crew as always.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 pm 
[quote="BigBubba"]Thanks again for the invite! A great crew as always. Welcome to the forum, Bubba.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still