Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > LNT.ORG issues new "social media guidance"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:49 am 
https://lnt.org/blog/new-social-media-guidance
Quote:
New Social Media Guidance Boulder, CO: There is little question that social media plays a role in the promotion of various outdoor locations, and in some cases, has led to significant resource and social impacts. It’s logical to ask, “Would this place be as impacted as it is now had it not been for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or Pintrest?” Social media, like any tool or technology, can be a force for good or it can have the opposite effect. What if every social media post also included a message of stewardship? Think how different things would or could be if this were the case. Leave No Trace isn't black or white, right or wrong. It's a framework for making good decisions about enjoying the outdoors responsibly, regardless of how one chooses to do so. If outdoor enthusiasts stop and think about the potential impacts and associated consequences of a particular action, it can go a long way towards ensuring protection of our shared outdoor spaces. To that end, we encourage outdoor enthusiasts to stop and think about their actions and the potential consequences of posting pictures, GPS data, detailed maps, etc. to social media. Furthermore, we urge people to think about both the protection and sustainability of the resource and the visitors who come after them. When posting to social media, consider the following: Tag thoughtfully – avoid tagging (or geotagging) specific locations. Instead, tag a general location such as a state or region, if any at all. While tagging can seem innocent, it can also lead to significant impacts to particular places. Be mindful of what your images portray – give some thought to what your images may encourage others to do. Images that demonstrate good Leave No Trace practices and stewardship are always in style. Give back to places you love – invest your own sweat equity into the outdoor spaces and places you care about. Learn about volunteer stewardship opportunities and get involved in the protection of our shared lands. Encourage and inspire Leave No Trace in social media posts – given the millions of social media users in the world, think of the incredible potential that social media has to educate outdoor enthusiasts – first timers to seasoned adventurers – about enjoying our wild lands responsibly.
Seems reasonable enough to me but I suspect not all agree...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markweth

markweth
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 pm 
I think these guidelines are supremely reasonable and am rather pleased that they seem to reflect some of the themes of the proposed 8th Leave No Trace principle.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 pm 
I'm all for it, but.... The question is how does that message get conveyed to the innumerable online sources of information about destination sites, like this recent blurb from Bartell Drugs?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 2:52 pm 
I think we need to challenge any group that is ramping more folks onto the trails to match that with educational activity to ensure that the newbies know what good stewardship entails. I've just today challenged the admins of WH&C to strive for such a balance, given their group's relative impact (and offered to help if they want that).

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 2:55 pm 
It took a while to shift the norms from pine bow beds, campfires, and bash burn and bury. I think it will also take a while for social media behavior to mature in a way that makes the net impact clearly positive.

huron

huron
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm 
You must be Joking. Yeah, burn the maps so nobody else can be a seeker of our secret places. The topic comes up here often and it is disgusting.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm 
Huron wrote:
You must be Joking. Yeah, burn the maps so nobody else can be a seeker of our secret places. The topic comes up here often and it is disgusting
I don't see in the article where this is mentioned or alluded to...?. And did I call it, or what?! embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
huron

huron
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 pm 
The primary suggestion and first bullet point the article made was to avoid tagging a location and to refer to it at the level of "state or region, if any at all". For members of a hiking oriented web site with a trip report section to suggest this is at the very least hypocritical and if put to practice yields a TR that serves only to brag rather than contribute to the enjoyment and benefit of others.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:09 pm 
Trip reports here aren't the same as Instagram yoga poses. The examples are region or state. You can use any tags you want. Narrow it down to the township and range, watershed, nearest trail, nearest larger lake, or a point on your GPS. The choices are endless and they are yours. Their use of the words and phrases, "there isn't wrong or right," "framework," "guidance," "stop and think," "consider" "urge to think about" "be mindful" don't sound to me as if they are dictating to anyone; indeed, they can't. Leave No Trace is an organization putting out guidelines they hope people will consider before hopping onto social media and posting details. If, after a person considers potential, and then does it anyway, well, the message was successful. The person considered potential impact. One good result of thoughtful consideration was WTA's decision to stop their popular Hike of the Week posts on their blog. It was creating too much visitation on the featured trail for weeks afterward. The first change was featuring only hikes with a large parking area, and an hour or so outside of Seattle. Then they eliminated the Hike of the Week altogether. They considered impact, and made a decision. They didn't eliminate Trip Reports, however. You can find reports, including photos, on any trail a volunteer chooses to submit a report on. Another example is on this site; we misspell places on purpose like Buthtab Lakes or, reverse the spellling to thwart search engines - at one time there was a feature in the edit buttons to reverse words. Yet another consideration and resulting change is Washington HIkers and Climbers' policy against posting photos from inside of ice caves. So considering impact is not new, not at all. And Leave No Trace is an organization, not the law. Do what you want, no one will stop you. Enjoy your summer. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 9:19 pm 
Well put Kim.

huron

huron
PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Do what you want
That's not what the article and OP are suggesting. There is an attempt to "shift the norms" to "mature" social media behavior by shaming those who would dare disclose a location or encourage others over broadly accessible media. If folks don't want to share their hard won secrets, that's fine. Talking in code, spelling in reverse and intentionally obscuring details in public is - ok, my "disgusting" description above is too strong a word - but it is certainly not polite. For those who do want to share, they should be free to do it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 am 
joker wrote:
"I think we need to challenge any group..."
I agree, and for that reason I wrote a little note to LNT.org earlier today and cc'd it to Bartell Drugs. I am curious as to what (if any) sort of response I get. === Huron, nobody is suggesting that anybody start burning maps or stop posting trip reports. The effort by LNT is to plant the proverbial bug in people's ears (or rather their eyes when they're reading those TR's or ogling the yoga selfies on Instagram or Facebook.) The objective here is to make people think about the effects of their own posts on various types of social media:
LNT.org wrote:
"...we encourage outdoor enthusiasts to stop and think about their actions and the potential consequences of posting pictures, GPS data, detailed maps, etc. to social media."
Granted, there are people who are incapable of thinking. Hopefully the message will get out to a majority of the rest.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 am 
Good points, joker and Ski; commercial enterprise is contributing, and like all of us, at first unwittingly. But like all of us, once someone plants a seed in our brains about possible impact, we may change what we do (as in examples given above). Some may feel it is "shaming," (an overused word if there ever was one [but nowhere near the word 'amazing.']), it seems more about suggesting we reconsider they way we think about the impact of our actions; which we do every day, or should. OFten, a communications person in a corporation or not for profit, tosses up a picture of a pretty lake (Blanca is a true example) with a pinpoint on a google map in order to sell something or get donations. From there, every follower of the page tags two or three friends, saying "Let's go!" but they may completely ignore the actual message about the product or the donation. On the other hand, perhaps the Corporation sold 500 jackets, or the organization got $500 in donations. What's the cost, and was it worth it? The Leave No Trace messaging is asking people to think about that. Sharing with friends on your own page, or posting trip reports is one thing; Instagram hiking is a whole 'nother ball of plastic jackets. I may share photos and details on my own Facebook page that I wouldn't share here. Perhaps a Trip Report here may leave off certain details I included on my own page. That's what Leave No Trace's message is about. Back in the day, hikers buried garbage. There's a short blurb in an old Signpost magazine from the 1960's that discusses that practice and that because more people are getting out into the mountains, it's no longer the best way to handle garbage - they were running out of empty pits in the back country. It was suggested then that we pack it out. This was before any organized Leave No Trace ethics were developed. So the concept of changing from the old ways, if they are no longer appropriate isn't new.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 11:54 am 
<edited for brevity> The hurdle to overcome is getting the message out to a broader audience. It’s not enough to target the “usual suspects” like Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. That message also needs to be part of the package being sold by those whose business reaps the monetary benefits of the outdoor industry – the REI’s, the Dicks Sporting Goods, the Patagonias, and all the other players who tap into the “outdoor” demographic looking for their little piece of the pie. As the whole “outdoor” thing becomes more trendy, and as the population increases, the number of businesses seeking to gain market share increases proportionately. As an interesting coincidence just yesterday I stumbled across this little blurb from a local (Washington State based) retailer that I never previously would have imagined being part of this game: Bartell Drugs. (see here: https://www.bartelldrugs.com/hello-summer/bartrails/ ) The larger question, then, is how to get the message across to those looking to make a buck from the “outdoor” demographic that their sharing in the responsibility of conveying good stewardship ethics is in their own best long-term interests.
Ben Lawhorn, Education Director LNT.org wrote:
"... I agree with your sentiment, and we are actively reaching out to our industry partners (and beyond when we can) to help them be part of the solution. There is no doubt that it’s more than just individuals posting to social media that are driving more and more people to the outdoors, and our ultimate hope is that all who have a stake in them work to protect them."
I don't think there's any question that commercial advertising is a contributing factor. Consider the number of players selling jackets, tents, sleeping bags, yoga pants, and any number of other things one might possibly take into the outdoors. (see Bartell link above) As for "shaming" - to a degree that may well be the case, although if approached in a more diplomatic manner I don't see any reason why a commercial enterprise would not support good stewardship ethics and LNT principles. There may, of course, be instances where "shaming" might be perfectly appropriate. (Where's that story with the color photos of the off-leash dogs next to some local alpine lake that included the advice about how to avoid getting cited?)

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 am 
I think the "tag thoughtfully" bullet point could be more precisely written, and clearly make a wider degree of discretion apparent. Certainly not having lat/long tags on photos is a good idea in a great many cases, given the hammering that specific photo vantage points tend to get. But there are many cases where getting quite a bit more precise than "state or region" is just fine. But, then, the more general admonition to "tag thoughtfully" would yield that same conclusion, wouldn't it? So while I could join in an editors' quibble about the exact wording, I still buy quite fully into the spirit and am a bit disappointed to see (both here and on WH&C discussion) some riveting in on that single point to trash this new guidance apparently in its entirety. I don't see this guidance as suggesting that those of us in the know start keeping the outdoors a secret, or that we cease and desist from encouraging more folks to get out. Just last weekend I posted both here and on WH&C a few pics of Mt St Helens flower fields with the mountain in the background. These got LOTS of views and likes on WH&C and I am fairly sure from all the shouts out to friends in the comments that I'll have generated some more traffic to the trails out of Johnston Ridge in coming weekends. But I'm OK with that. On one of those posts I made a comment that it was so tempting to wander out into the broad fields of flowers to shoot from a better vantage point, but I stuck to the trails as is required in that area (thus following one of the bullets of the new guidance to include some LNT-ish comments in posts, even though I hadn't seen this new guidance :-) ). There's a huge paved parking lot with painted lines and clear trails with many signs tellilng folks to stay on trails and plenty of ranger staff etc so I feel fine about having posted these photos with info letting folks know where I was. If anything, it will get some folks to venture beyond I90 to a place that can certainly handle an increment of added traffic. But there are other spots from which I wouldn't even post photos w/o location info given what I believe a spike in usage would do there. I'm more fine sharing pointers to resources that include some info about these spots along with many other spots (Beckey's guides for instance, which include useful "approach" info that even non-climbers like me can benefit from) because these info sources will help spread increased usage out much more so than will a pretty "insta-worthy" photo. Thoughtful posting. It's what I think this new guidance is imploring. Certainly a good step in the evolution of the still-young use of social media by outdoor enthusiasts in a still growing world of humans. As a repeat from above, here's the LNT.ORG preamble to the specific bullets:
Quote:
Leave No Trace isn't black or white, right or wrong. It's a framework for making good decisions about enjoying the outdoors responsibly, regardless of how one chooses to do so. If outdoor enthusiasts stop and think about the potential impacts and associated consequences of a particular action, it can go a long way towards ensuring protection of our shared outdoor spaces. To that end, we encourage outdoor enthusiasts to stop and think about their actions and the potential consequences of posting pictures, GPS data, detailed maps, etc. to social media. Furthermore, we urge people to think about both the protection and sustainability of the resource and the visitors who come after them.
When I take the bullets in that context, I'm still finding them to be fine.