Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Human Barriers to Wildlife Migration and the Spread of Species
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm 
Got to thinking about the goat removal from the Olympics (which makes sense) and got to thinking of the opposite issue. Moose range is spreading in the state, but what impact would the I-5 corridor have once they reached it? If the spread of a particular species range is artificially blocked by human presence, what about human intervention to introduce them to areas they would naturally spread to otherwise? Not that they are waiting to cross I-5 right now, but it is a matter of time as their numbers and range are increasing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm 
You prepare for higher car insurance rates, and the highways people build tunnels under I-5 so the moose can get to the ferries.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm 
This is a major problem. They are currently building wildlife crossings over and under I-90 east of Snoqualmie Pass.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm 
if you watch enough of those Russian "how not to drive" videos on YouTube, you'll see a whole mess of mooses getting squished by drivers when they run across highways in front of cars. mooses are pretty fast (about 35 mph top speed) but they're not as fast as two tons of steel flying down the pavement at 60 mph. maybe this is just wild speculation on my part, but I'd guess that Interstate 5 would pose a bit of an obstacle to mooses as far as "migratory routes" go. squirrels, not so much. but only the ones who are capable of flying.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 2:33 pm 
Mmmmm. Road kill moose! I would guess that to be another "challenge"--dodging folks butchering the remains. Moose is tasty!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities