Forum Index > Trip Reports > fall colors and goats on clark 9.27 - 9.29.16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 12:42 am 
A friend and I had planned a midweek trip to the Chelan Sawtooths but she couldn't escape from work. Not wanting to make the long drive from Seattle alone, but also not wanting to miss out on what looked to be a perfect forecast ahead of an impending storm, I headed for Clark Mountain. I had been thinking about doing a loop over Luahna to B. Butte but wasn't feeling that excited about a) lugging my full pack over two peaks or b) a solo, late season glacier crossing (with dog). I brought crampons & ice axe, intending to decide about the loop later based on timing and how the Pilz was looking. These ended up being dead weight. Ruby and I arrived at the roadblock on White River Road at about 11:30am Tuesday. A quad pulled in right behind me, paused until I began to unpack, and then turned around and sped away. Maybe making sure I wasn't going to drive through the closure? Creepy, anyway. We hoofed it up the road, only to find a Ford Escape parked at the trailhead. Well, at least they had their NW forest pass on display(?) A USFS status report at the trailhead noted that the Boulder Pass trail has been brushed out all the way to the Napeequa this year.
closed
closed
washout
washout
?
?
After stopping to ogle (me) and sip (Ruby) the river's milky blue-green water we continued up the White River trail. The river is so pretty, and the forest has lots of huge cedars and firs to keep you entertained. Including a bear-face tree. Lots of spiderwebs in the brushy sections though. We made quick time to the Boulder Pass trail junction, where I proceeded to soak both shoes in a rock-hopping failure getting to lunch spot on a sunny gravel bar in the river. shakehead.gif After lunch, we started up the soft trail. More spiderwebs. The upper Boulder Creek crossing is easily passable but has deep, wet mud between branches of the creek. I slipped into this muck on the way down. Entering the basin the trail becomes brushy, and then intermittently muddy, as it heads toward the pass.
white river
white river
bear face tree
bear face tree
frog in the river
frog in the river
We took the sheepherders trail from the upper basin, then headed NW off the trail just before it crossed a stream around 5760'. We followed another stream up to a basin at around 6400', and found a flat spot to camp at around 6550'. In fading light I identified "the notch" as I chowed down on packit gourmet tuscan beef stew with parmesan polenta (by far my fanciest backcountry meal ever). My willingness to get up at or before sunrise decreases proportionally with the morning temperature, so on chilly Wednesday we got a late start, which basically eliminated any chance at the butte loop. Since I was running low on fuel, I decided to move camp to the meadow campsite/toilet in case I needed to make a fire to boil water for dinner. We set off for the notch around 10am with a 2:30pm turnaround time. I knew there was a bootpath to the notch, but I didn't see it immediately so we just headed directly across the crumbly slope, sidehilling upward. After a couple hundred yards I saw the path below me and eventually intersected it. The path takes off to the right of a small rockfall path at about 6750'. The notch looked scarier in photos than it actually is. Past the notch, the route was pretty straightforward: up a grassy/rocky ramp, across a shallow snowfield for few hundred yards, then an easy walk/scramble to the summit from the SE.
heading to the notch
heading to the notch
climbers path
climbers path
first summit sighting
first summit sighting
Right after we exited the snowfield I looked up to find a large goat on a ledge guarding the summit. We had a brief staring contest before he wandered away. Permission granted, we made the final push to the summit. We arrived just after noon and I spent a good 45 minutes drinking in the views of B. Butte, Louis Creek falls and basin, the upper Napeequa, and the peaks beyond. And considering who I could persuade to join me on the Louis Creek HR next year.
gatekeeper
gatekeeper
looking southwest from the summit
looking southwest from the summit
glacier + luahna
glacier + luahna
walrus
walrus
butte-eeful
butte-eeful
thunder basin
thunder basin
across the napeequa
across the napeequa
Although I realized that we probably wouldn't make it to Luahna by turnaround time, I decided to give it a shot anyway. We headed down Clark's SW ridge to the gully at ~8450'. The gully exits onto a steep, loose slope, which I traveled across very, very slowly. In retrospect I would have been much better off going straight down to the snowfield at 7700'. Once we finally got onto snow we quickly made our way to the col of Pt 7970, but from there it was more traversing loose slopes. Slowly again. At 2:15 we were just rounding the SW ridge of Pt 7970 so I called it. We backtracked a bit and scrambled up to the top of Pt 7970 for a snack and a last look around before starting back at 3pm.
luahna from just below pt 7970
luahna from just below pt 7970
rare selfie
rare selfie
louis creek larches
louis creek larches
Instead of going back up the gully and over Clark, we stayed on the snowfield and crossed Clark's SW ridge at ~7600'. I knew it was possible to get from the SW to S ridge, and I had with me a GPS track of a dog-friendly route from a friend's previous trip. Still, the slope is quite steep and occasionally terrifying. I had to backtrack several times and take a higher path, but after a stressful hour-plus we arrived on the S ridge at ~7700'. Apparently Ruby was feeling stressed too; she immediately collapsed into a power nap. For a few minutes I gawked back at the slope and tried to pick out the line we had taken across. Then we continued around the S ridge, to the lower ramp, and finally the notch. A dozen or so goats were hanging out on the slope above the ramps in the late afternoon sun.
we crossed that?
we crossed that?
crash
crash
david, jonathan, whittier
david, jonathan, whittier
We were back to camp at 6pm with not enough daylight left to relocate. I crossed my fingers and fired up the stove, running out of gas just as my water hit boiling! Lucky. We headed out around 8:30 on Thursday morning, stopping often for photos, huckleberries, and to take in the fall colors. We were back at the car by 2:30, after passing a lone runner heading up White River Road.
yawn
yawn
fall colors
fall colors
basin pano
basin pano
More photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskHWdL5w Nagging question: why is it called sheepherder's trail and not shepherd's trail?? *edited to add/fix dates

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 4:11 am 
Why not the Shepherds' trail? Had to be more then just one.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 6:46 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
fall colors
fall colors
This image pretty much sums up why some of us migrate to the high country in summer. Excellent TR! I am so doing this next fall! agree.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 7:36 am 
Nice solo trip! My group also hoped for Luahna and possibly Buck, but we only got Clark.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:07 am 
Your pictures are stunning, especially the extras on the link. Thanks! Ruby is quite the climber. So are you!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
RichP

RichP
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:18 am 
Had you gone on to Luahna and dropped down to Thunder Ck on the way out, you would have experienced one of the most mind numbing bushwhacks the area has to offer. wink.gif Great photos up.gif

silence

silence
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:34 am 
Awesome! up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 am 
Great trip report and pictures, rubywrangler, including many beautiful ones on your Flickr link! Nice to see the fall colors still looking good up there. I wonder if they will ever fix that road, the damage looks similar to the Tunnel Creek PCT access road, only you can still drive up that one.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 10:00 am 
up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 12:31 pm 
Cool. Thanks for posting this.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 12:52 pm 
Great trip! Thanks for sharing. Ruby is a good sport!!

Kenji

Kenji
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 pm 
Nice colors!! Thanks for TR up.gif

iron

iron
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 2:41 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
My willingness to get up at or before sunrise decreases proportionally with the morning temperature
agree.gif my partners generally have issues with this rant.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 2:49 pm 
iron wrote:
rubywrangler wrote:
My willingness to get up at or before sunrise decreases proportionally with the morning temperature
agree.gif my partners generally have issues with this rant.gif
True in the Cascades. SO TRUE in Alaska....makes me cold just thinking about it! Brrrr!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Distel32

Distel32
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 3:24 pm 
up.gif