Forum Index > Trail Talk > Eagle Creek Fire, Columbia River Gorge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Sep 02, 2017 11:46 pm 
"When the fire ignited about 4 p.m. Saturday a mile up the Eagle Creek Trail from the trailhead, it left more than 150 people stranded."

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 am 
eek.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 7:12 am 
I read it was started by boys shooting off fireworks.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 7:17 am 
Fireworks should be completely illegal off reservations.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 7:24 am 
That's a stupid, criminal shame. For a fire that pops up at 4pm, two miles up the trail, I was thinking a cigarette butt. Fireworks as a cause is just nuts.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 7:42 am 
That's the first fire, the Indian Creek fire, on upper Eagle Creek, that's thought to be from fireworks. It started July 4, and there are photos of the very early stages on oregonhikers.org. My first thought on this one was cigarette butt. I've seen a lot of smokers on those popular Gorge trails. Of course that's pure speculation. EDIT, later, 9/5--well, I was wrong, both fires from fireworks. I understand the hikers in there are going to be walked past the Indian Creek fire zone and out via Wahtum Lake. There are SAR and USFS folks with them, and supplies were to be dropped in last night. It's gonna be a long hike for the many in flipflops who were playing in Punchbowl Falls! In the meantime, the new fire is reportedly burning towards Cascade Locks. The local media are, of course, sensationalizing all this (great headlines on the evening news), so I'm taking their reports with many grains of salt.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 8:35 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
...so I'm taking their reports with many grains of salt.
For your Margaritas? hockeygrin.gif Yeah, ok, that was dumb.... lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 8:38 am 
It appears that Cascade Locks is being evacuated. Ouch.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 2:45 pm 
Quote:
The news interviewed a guy who said they heard a loud bang "like a firework" just before encountering smoke and beginning flames. Tell me there's not someone stupid enough to really be setting off fireworks in the woods, let alone in these conditions.
Quote from a discussion on oregonhikers.org.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm 
Quote:
A new fire, the Eagle Creek Fire, was reported Saturday afternoon at approximately 4:00pm in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. The fire grew to 3,000 acres overnight and is now approximately 1/2 mile from Cascade Locks, Oregon. Public safety is the number one priority in the Eagle Creek Fire. For their safety, 153 hikers had to shelter in place near Tunnel Falls last night as the fire had cut off their return access. A National Guard helicopter dropped supplies to the hikers while local search and rescue will be assisting in leading the hikers out today. The Hood River County Sherriff put evacuations into place last night in the community of Cascade Locks. A Level 3 (Go) evacuation notice was given to residences south of Interstate 84 and all residences north of Interstate 84 are under Level 2 (Be Set) evacuation notice. A Red Cross Shelter has been set up at the Skamania County Fairgrounds, immediately across the Columbia River in Stevenson, Washington. The Eagle Creek Fire is human caused but specifics remain under investigation by the Oregon State Police.
From Inciweb.

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm 
The fire is now 10,000 acres and has spotted across the Columbia into Washington. I-84 is closed.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:08 pm 
gb wrote:
The fire is now 10,000 acres and has spotted across the Columbia into Washington. I-84 is closed.
Yes, lots of trucks on our White Pass today.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 pm 
Wow. This is insane. mad.gif Per this report in Oregon Live the Eagle Creek Fire started on Saturday from kids throwing fireworks into the forest. Quote: A woman who was hiking in the Columbia River Gorge on Saturday afternoon says she happened across a group of teens who were lighting fireworks and throwing them into Eagle Creek Canyon, igniting the now 10,000-acre Eagle Creek fire. Liz FitzGerald told OPB radio that she is “pretty sure” she heard the teens giggle as one threw fireworks into the bone-dry surroundings and another video-recorded the act. “I saw this kid throw a smoke bomb — just lobbed it and dropped it down into the woods,” FitzGerald told Oregon Public Broadcasting. “… I saw him throw something that was on fire. Then we all looked over the edge and saw smoke. I said, ‘Do you realize how dangerous this is?’” FitzGerald said she was hiking to Punch Bowl Falls to get some relief from the heat when she encountered the teens. But shortly after seeing them, she turned back around and ran to her car – warning other hikers along the way. “It was billowing smoke. I could distinctly smell fire,” she said of the site where the fireworks were thrown. “It smelled like the fire in my fireplace. It was very clear that this was not the smell of a firecracker.” FitzGerald said she found a U.S. Forest Service employee and reported what she saw. Videos posted online by other hikers show police interviewing two boys who appear to be teenagers, near the Eagle Creek Trailhead. The boys – one wearing a tank top and shorts and the other shirtless – are next to a minivan in the parking lot, along with two adults who witnesses thought might have been their parents. Videos and more photos in the article. In this accompanying article Oregonians grieve on social media about the loss of trails and landmarks in the Gorge. Sickening to think it was caused by such idiots. Multnomah Lodge is threatened. frown.gif ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm 

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 pm 
The Multnomah Co. Sheriff is now posting Level 1 evacuation (start packing) of Troutdale east of 257th--only a mile east of my house! However, I'm on the WA coast to escape the smoke, or most of it, and have no intentions of going home! I let friends, family and neighbors know in case the boundary is moved further west. Friends who live in Corbett have already been evacuated (Level 3). Even if they don't arrest those kids (I personally hope they throw the book at them!), they and their parents will be enormously liable to civil suits.