Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Flat Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 5:33 pm 
Hmm attempt number three at posting this. Last week I took off and drove "two humps" over to the Columbia River and set up camp at the Kettle Falls official campground.
I like having a shower handy, not to mention a very nice bed. It was hot but cooled off nicely at night. In fact, I woke up chilly one morning. My trailer has no built in heat other than what the air conditioner does and this campground has no power. There is a trail that runs south through meadows, woods and now burned woods. It is a 4 mile round trip and goes from the K-falls campground to a picnic area that might be a beach if the water was higher, at Colville Bay. Note: The water was rising last week. Even though this area is run by the NPS, it is fairly dog friendly. Dogs are allowed all over the place but leashes are required.
The slighlly Used Dog and I took off. We'd been on this trail in what I will call the Pre Hoka days and I turned around on it due to foot pain. Now, shod with Hokas, it is an easy walk.
It looked like some controlled burning had taken place last fall? I'm thinking it was fall due to all the needles on top of the black ground. There were burned areas and green areas.
There are swampish looking areas with bridges over them. You will also find benches and a picnic table along the trail. The trail also goes through a group camping area and what I think is a swimming area because there was an outdoor shower there. There was no water in the swim hole. The lake was too low. It looked like the controlled burn became uncontrolled in one area. There were fried trees and a fireline around it.
Beetles were dining on the dead trees.
Did I say the water was low? We walked out over sand and pebbles to the water and since nobody was around nor going to be I released the hound so she could cool off.
There were even flowers on "the beach".
On the way back, we actually ran into two people and one dog. The dog was on a leash. I talked to some of the regulars and this campground is seldom full. It is too far from Spokane and way too far from Seattle. It took me a whole half tank of gas to get there. Colville is about 10 miles away. I also did a quick trip to check out an area east of Colville where we ran around like feral kids in the woods over 50 years ago. There were a couple of Pat McManus type activities done then. The lake was still there, the campground where we were going to capture a bear was still there. Trees had grown up in the open area where we camped. I'll have to haul my kayak up there and paddle a bit. The trip was relaxing and I shall return.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jun 15, 2018 11:54 pm 
Looks good. Thanks for the pictures.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 11:15 am 
up.gif that dog's only slightly used? how'd you get so lucky this time? wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 pm 
Ski, The Used Dog was advertised in The Shopper as free to a good home, 2 year old Chocolate lab. I was his third home and he'd been kept tied up for most of that time. He was a mess, and badly used. He was a quick learner and was a damn good dog, even though he was used. He did have problems with separation and it took 9 months of buying him toys to get him to sit in the pickup quietly while I was away for a bit. He loved stuffed toys though. He was my first used dog, the others I had were little puppies when I got them. The Slightly Used Dog was a pound puppy put in a foster home/rescue. She was 8 months old so less used. She is a work in progress. I've been lucky to have had 2 great dogs--they say you only get one during your life, and maybe it'll be three. Used dogs are good but they come with problems, even slightly used dogs. The current one is deathly afraid of brooms and vacuums and can easily climb over chain link fences. She does fit in the trailer better and I am hoping she lasts longer. It was arthritis that caused the demise of The Used Dog, and my first great dog. I do wish breeders would stop the process of breeding bigger and bigger labs. Their joints just wear out too early. Oh well. That's how it goes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm 
brooms and vacuums? that sounds a bit odd. dizzy.gif but then, my cat would sit placidly on the deck while I ran the lawnmower right by him, but if I got out the broom to sweep off the patio he'd take off like the Devil himself was chasing him. go figure. huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 pm 
Many thanks for the information and photos. It sure is handy to have a trailer to "camp" in. I have had 8 ft Alaskan Campers on my 3/4 ton pickups and my mtn climbing friends give me a bad time about being so soft as to use my Alaskan Camper to camp in at a trailhead. However, when the weather is not friendly, my friends gladly stay in my camper with me (barely squeeze 3 in) rather than camp in a tent.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:47 am 
I have toured the old Alaska Camper factory when it was in Chehalis. I believe they moved it to Winlock? Perhaps a tariff needs to be placed on them. biggrin.gif

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm 
hope that "slightly used" dog is able to give you years of good service with no hip problems! up.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 pm 
Nice trip. Glad Dog got a new Mom. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jun 17, 2018 10:55 pm 
Nice trip. Glad Dog got a new Mom. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!