Forum Index > Trip Reports > Edmonds to Mukilteo 05.15.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostSun May 16, 2010 10:26 pm 
Minus tide--time for a shoreline sashay from Edmonds to Mukilteo.
hobo pigeons
hobo pigeons
Edmonds ferry, heron
Edmonds ferry, heron
geese chix
geese chix
Canadians with heron
Canadians with heron
languid lounging lady tree
languid lounging lady tree
beacon
beacon
rocket
rocket
camo kelp
camo kelp
chicken (of the sea) skin
chicken (of the sea) skin
beach access
beach access
BNSF coming
BNSF coming
BNSF here
BNSF here
Meadowdale Beach--correction: Brown's Bay-where is everyone?
Meadowdale Beach--correction: Brown's Bay-where is everyone?
one reason to stay off Brown's Bay
one reason to stay off Brown's Bay
ole whatchamacallit (Haines Wharf)
ole whatchamacallit (Haines Wharf)
under ole whatchamacallit
under ole whatchamacallit
vacant moonsnail
vacant moonsnail
repurposed moonsnail
repurposed moonsnail
moonsnail inner beauty
moonsnail inner beauty
moonsnail collar
moonsnail collar
North Meadowdale Beach
North Meadowdale Beach
rock kelp in formation
rock kelp in formation
orange kelp
orange kelp
airshow flyover
airshow flyover
seafood buffet
seafood buffet
missing something?
missing something?
mussel shell
mussel shell
approaching Sunset Bay camp
approaching Sunset Bay camp
north side of Sunset Bay
north side of Sunset Bay
high density tidepool
high density tidepool
barney stone
barney stone
mmmm....Ivar's
mmmm....Ivar's
purple martin
purple martin
martin and chick
martin and chick
Picnic Point
Picnic Point
a project for the Kalakala Foundation
a project for the Kalakala Foundation
sunning seastar
sunning seastar
shy seastar
shy seastar
caramel anemone
caramel anemone
fat anemone with braids
fat anemone with braids
sekrit beach compound (Humpy Hollow)
sekrit beach compound (Humpy Hollow)
Mukilteo Beach
Mukilteo Beach
Mukilteo ferry
Mukilteo ferry
mmmmm Ivar's !!
mmmmm Ivar's !!

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun May 16, 2010 10:35 pm 
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7515/meadowdalebeachempty.jpg This is actually Browns Bay and right by my neighborhood beach access where Perrinville Creek pours into the Sound. Meadowdale Beach is beyond the wharf. I walked from here to downtown Edmonds today. Edmonds to Mukilteo, that's a truck. Good job, nice photos.

Let me stand next to your fire
realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostMon May 17, 2010 7:29 am 
I spent a portion of my youth waterfront on Meadowdale Beach,lived about 5 houses south from the wharf. Ol' Whatchamacallit'..was Haines Wharf,then Laebugtens(sp?),then Meadowdale Marine,then pretty much shut down and not able to open now.Last I heard some foreign investor bought the place and Edmonds isn't allowing restoration. The "Haines" were my next door neighbor and I spent some of my very young youth pushing rental fishing boats around the pier/lift and cleaning fish between 4am and 9am during the summer months. Brown's Bay used to have a boathouse there also.I think it was torn down probably about 1960 or so.Norma Beach(some other name now?) is the third one in the line up towards Picnic Point beyond the park at Meadowdale Point. Meadowdale Point at one time had a 'Country Club' with a large lodge,a couple swimming pools,picnic areas,and more than just the park today.Unfortunately the access road kept washing out and they went bankrupt during the 60s.. I spent my high school years skimboarding Meadowdale Beach and some night times drinking,partying at Picnic Point with the rest of the local gang at Meadowdale High.The police made a regular habit of blocking the dirt road getting into Picnic Point,getting on the bullhorns, and citing the partiers that drove there..Heck,I just walked home down the beach. lol.gif Walking on the BN tracks..not a wise thing to do anymore!They are handing out trespassing citations left and right and also have added the local police departments to promote their ticketting..The Meadowdale Wharf access area has been closed down and a large fence put up,lots of No trespassing signs added to prevent people that own waterfront property from even accessing their own tideland property..except from Edmonds,the top end of Meadowdale Park by way of Lund's Gulch(a few miles),Picnic Point's overpass,Humpy Hollow(the small beachside community before mukilteo) or Mukilteo...only where you can officially drive/walk under or over the tracks! I found out the hard way about the trespassing.I was walking back from the point walking one rail all the way like I used to do as a teenager..and the officer was sitting at the wharf driveway waiting for me.Fortunately it was the early phase and they were only giving out warnings.Since that day,the wife and I have had to give up afternoons of sitting/swimming on the beach at Meadowdale Point playing cribbage and drinking tupperware margaritas. frown.gif Anyway..thanks for the TR..brought back fond memories... up.gif

soreyes

soreyes
PostMon May 17, 2010 10:45 am 
Great post. I wanted so badly to get out and enjoy a long tide hike. I was stuck in the yard between trips to home depot working on some projects. I live up the street from Browns Bay as well. Hi neighbors. It was disappointing to see they put up that huge fence blocking the tide beach access. The culvert access within Meadowdale park was closed for most of the winter.

rebooting
silence

silence
PostMon May 17, 2010 1:20 pm 
great one ... i've always wanted to do that .. up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon May 17, 2010 5:49 pm 
Nice report. I had never thought about going north from Edmonds during low tide. I always go to Richmond Beach and then go south. I'm going to have to give the north route a try.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostMon May 17, 2010 10:05 pm 
Great history Realityguy. Meadowdale Marine was still open when I moved here in 1991 and must have still been open until maybe 1997 because I remember walking out on the wharf when my oldest was about 3 or maybe it was with my nephew in 1993. Anyway, it's definitely closed now and falling apart. I keep thinking the next big storm will take it all except for the hulking metal behemoth portion. I remember the Edmonds Museum had an exhibit on the Puget Sound boathouses. There are still pilings on Browns Bay by the Perrinville Creek outflow and also by the Lynnwood wastewater treatment plant. Good advice, don't walk the tracks. The passenger trains are very quiet and they move fast.

Let me stand next to your fire
furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostTue May 18, 2010 6:02 am 
Reality Guy and Stones, your info is much appreciated! Makes me want to do the tour again. Do either of you (or anyone else) have the scoop on the beached ship past Picnic Point? As I was shooting, an agitated guy ran out yelling, "Get away from the wreck, get away from the wreck!!!"...and I was no where near it. Really piqued my interest--wonder what's in that thing? And Humpy Hollow! what images that brings to mind. Those homes are skin to skin with the RR track, the bluff rising immediately behind. How the heck do they get down there? A couple was playing cards on their porch, but oddly, I felt like I was trespassing in their private world and hurried by. (Maybe afraid they were going to start yelling, "Get away from our house, get away from our house"). Wish I had stopped to ask.

silence

silence
PostTue May 18, 2010 6:07 am 
btw .. you should read harvey mannings "walking the beach to bellingham" .. you would enjoy it ...

furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostTue May 18, 2010 6:16 am 
I have!! Was wondering if anyone would mention that. I love the picture of Harvey on the book's dust jacket. Disheveled, with old grease stains on his shirt. Loved his section on Edmonds, drinking a 6 pack of Rainier (of course, he wrote), reminiscing about Oly Mtns trips. After his 4th Rainier, he wrote, "The present is a night-haunted misery, the future belongs to the fools and villains who are making it. All I want is the past, a ferry-boat, and a can of beer."

silence

silence
PostTue May 18, 2010 6:43 am 
yes .. it's a great read ... those with any connection to the beaches along this stretch will totally enjoy .. living in both edmonds and picnic point over the past 25 yrs .. and walking the beaches myself many times i certainly did .. yeah harvey did like his rainier .. btw i try to get over as much as i can and visit with betty his better half .. a dear friend now .. she has lots of great stories .. anyhow the first time i visited their little cabin on tiger mtn .. a forest oasis in a sea of upscale monster homes .. there sat harvey's bug .. filled with his old retired boots .. it made me cry ;(

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostTue May 18, 2010 9:19 am 
Quote:
Do either of you (or anyone else) have the scoop on the beached ship past Picnic Point? As I was shooting, an agitated guy ran out yelling, "Get away from the wreck, get away from the wreck!!!"...and I was no where near it. Really piqued my interest--wonder what's in that thing?
I don't recall the reason they were beached(storm?) but think they were actually barges and I think two.At that time I was about 10 so my recall isn't very good.Later in my high school years(66-69) they were pretty demolished by then..Years ago you could crawl inside the things..nothing really inside but the wood sides were more intact and you were walking on sand. The book..I have it somewhere..and read up to about Everett I think before getting distracted with hiking and other outdoor stuff.I'll have to find it and finish the book.. I think I recall from the book that the location of the pilings south of Picnic Point were actually an old ferry landing. The house I used to live in..once you get past Brookacres on 76th Place west..the first point of seeing the beach at Meadowdale..The Haines lived down the first driveway that angles back towards brookacres..I lived in the square flat roofed two store house that is now the third house on the waterside as you come down the small hill.I know the retired lady well that still owns the house(she bought it in 1969 at $33K),see her about 2-3 times a week around town, and occasionallyI still work on the house doing repairs.I don't miss mowing that gawd awful huge lawn but about 1/2 of it down in front was left natural and always muddy back in the 60s with a creek flowing down a wooden flume on the south edge,then across the bottom into blackberry bushes that are no longer there on the north edge of the property(old right of way). The beach side has some old concrete steps(only ones there,you probably saw them) put in years ago by my uncle(?) who originally owned the house..my mother rented,then my dad bought(the two were divorced) and remodelled it from a one bedroom house with a peagravel basement into a 5 bedroom house. I lived there twice..for a spell when I went to elementary school(Beverly) and later through my high school years(Meadowdale,opened in 1965)until 1969 when I moved to Hawaii. When we were kids,we used to sleep in the cold uninsulated front enclosed porch area that went across the entire front of the house..that had big sliding window panes..I still remember the panes rattling whenever the trains went by. lol.gif About 1968..there was a landslide that dropped a section of the road about 1' from the other about 100feet north of the house,blocking access to the northern section,other than down the hill from 164th.The area is built over slick blue clay and a moritorium was placed on building in the area for 20-30 years.Large sums of money and high property values eliminated the moritorium so it looks like it does today with a lot of new larger homes going in.A couple of the huge houses across the street and a tad north are backed by clay banks where we used to shot 22s for target practice. I wouldn't want to live in those two houses knowing the history I do...They may end up under mud someday. eek.gif If you eliminate all the newer houses down in that area,it was a nice quiet place to grow up and we did spend quite a bit of time swimming,skimboarding, fishing for flounder and perch around the pier(now they glow in the dark with pollutants lol.gif ),digging clams..horse,butters,and steamers..and we were forced to eat too much crab in the summertime(again!?.. waah.gif ). lol.gif

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue May 18, 2010 11:49 am 
Many years ago, a cousin and I were down there putting pennies on the tracks and decided to sneak into that abandoned wharf. It was dark, creaky, and looked like it hadn't been occupied in ages. But somewhere in there we heard music playing, so we followed it. Way, way, waaaay in the very back there was a lone guy standing under a single light-bulb. He had a small counter where he was gutting fish while listening to the radio. We talked to him for a bit and he gave us a couple pieces of salmon to take home. So every time I see a photo of that place, I get hungry for seafood.

silence

silence
PostTue May 18, 2010 11:52 am 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Many years ago, a cousin and I were down there putting pennies on the tracks and decided to sneak into that abandoned wharf. It was dark, creaky, and looked like it hadn't been occupied in ages. But somewhere in there we heard music playing, so we followed it. Way, way, waaaay in the very back there was a lone guy standing under a single light-bulb. He had a small counter where he was gutting fish while listening to the radio. We talked to him for a bit and he gave us a couple pieces of salmon to take home. So every time I see a photo of that place, I get hungry for seafood.
angry hiker ... there is a poet lurking inside of you wink.gif

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue May 18, 2010 1:27 pm 
Nah, it's just the cheeseburger I had for lunch.