Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pickets: Chopping Block, Terror, Degenhardt, West Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am 
Dates: July 18-22, 2009 Destination: Chopping Block, Terror, Degenhardt, West Peak Party: Matt, mntmmike, Dicey, ErinB Note: This trip is from 2009. The 2008 report is still incomplete. The 2010 trip will begin Friday. We planned this trip as an 8-day south-to-north traverse of the Pickets over the Ottohorn-Himmelhorn col. It ended up being 5 days climbing some of the summits around the Crescent Creek basin. Day 1: Goodell Creek to Terror Creek to Chopping Block Camp Terror Creek Approach to the Pickets Terror Creek is the shortest but steepest approach into the Pickets. With 6000 feet of gain and 8-day packs, I was afraid I’d be exhausted, but a slow and steady pace got us there. Segments of the route were: Goodell Creek Abandoned Road (600 – 1600 feet): Four miles up the abandoned road, brushed out at the start, then alternating between clinging brush on the flatter parts and good tread on the uphill parts. Goodell Road to Terror Creek Logjam (1600 – 2100): A rough steep track zigzagging sometimes around obstacles, sometimes through them, sometimes just lost. At the Terror Creek log jam, the big cedar log was split, but still solid for now.
Quality Terror Creek travel
Quality Terror Creek travel
Climbing over Dicey’s “crux tree” (taken on the return trip)
Climbing over Dicey’s “crux tree” (taken on the return trip)
Terror Creek log crossing (taken on the return trip)
Terror Creek log crossing (taken on the return trip)
Terror Creek to Ridge Crest (2100-3500): Crawling almost straight up the hillside with a few diversions around mossy rock bands, almost at the limit of being able to hang on and step uphill steeply enough. I consoled myself with the (false) promise that at least I wouldn’t have to come back this way.
Somewhere on the hillside
Somewhere on the hillside
On the Ridge Crest (3600 – 5400): Better travel on the ridge crest with occasional rock outcrops, still strenuous, but we could actually walk upright most of the time.
Looking down 4000 feet to Goodell Creek from an open spot on the ridge
Looking down 4000 feet to Goodell Creek from an open spot on the ridge
Looking across the Terror Creek divide to Roper’s Roost
Looking across the Terror Creek divide to Roper’s Roost
Final Slopes to Chopping Block Camp (5400 - 6400): Fine slanted hillside of heather meadows and granite slabs, tired at the end of the day, but drawn upward by wide views and the promise of camp on the crest ahead.
Cool veined rocks
Cool veined rocks
Mike coming up the slabs
Mike coming up the slabs
Taking a break on the slabs
Taking a break on the slabs
Looking up toward the end of The Barrier
Looking up toward the end of The Barrier
Evening at Chopping Block Camp We set up a camp on the ridge connecting The Barrier to the Chopping Block
Fast women setting up camp while I’m still hiking upward
Fast women setting up camp while I’m still hiking upward
Chopping Block Camp, with clouds capping Triumph & Despair
Chopping Block Camp, with clouds capping Triumph & Despair
The pointy Crescent Creek spires played hide & seek in the clouds.
Light slanting below the clouds above lower Crescent Creek & Jasper Pass
Light slanting below the clouds above lower Crescent Creek & Jasper Pass
Himmelhorn wrapped in clouds
Himmelhorn wrapped in clouds
East Twin Needle barely escaping the clouds
East Twin Needle barely escaping the clouds
Sunset lit the clouds.
Sunset clouds above Trapezoid & Big Devil
Sunset clouds above Trapezoid & Big Devil
Sunset clouds above Baker
Sunset clouds above Baker
Sunset clouds wreathing West Peak
Sunset clouds wreathing West Peak
Day 2: Chopping Block, Crescent Creek Basin Camp, Terror Late Attempt Day 2: Chopping Block, Crescent Creek Basin Camp, Terror False Summit Sunrise At 5:10am, I got up early to watch the sunrise. Then everyone else was still asleep, so I went back to bed. So much for an early start.
Colonial & Roper’s Roost
Colonial & Roper’s Roost
Sunrise neatly highlighting the summits of Hagan, Mystery Ridge, & Blum
Sunrise neatly highlighting the summits of Hagan, Mystery Ridge, & Blum
Sunrise at Chopping Block Camp (note Barrier’s shadow on Chopping Block, and then Chopping Block’s shadow on the left flank of Despair.
Sunrise at Chopping Block Camp (note Barrier’s shadow on Chopping Block, and then Chopping Block’s shadow on the left flank of Despair.
Chopping Block 6819 (7:30am – noon) Around 8:30am, Mike, Erin & I went to climb The Chopping Block. Carla had already been there, so she went to climb Point 7137 at the base of The Barrier on the other end of the ridge. We took the SE face route, which turned out to be a simple scramble except for a couple spots. We followed the ridge crest to the corner of the Chopping Block, traversed a ledge left to the below its south ridge, scrambled up to the ridge crest, then walked easy terrain to the top. On the scramble between the ledge and the crest, there was one class 4+ move midway, and one class 4 move getting onto the crest, otherwise it was all class 2/3.
Hiking to the base of The Chopping Block
Hiking to the base of The Chopping Block
Routes on the right looked unpleasant
Routes on the right looked unpleasant
A green ledge led left to the corner
A green ledge led left to the corner
Chopping Block ledge & south ridge
Chopping Block ledge & south ridge
The summit had wide spaces & wide views.
Chopping Block summit group
Chopping Block summit group
Southern Pickets above Crescent Creek Cirque (also camp marked)
Southern Pickets above Crescent Creek Cirque (also camp marked)
View down the approach route, with Roost, Davis & Ross above
View down the approach route, with Roost, Davis & Ross above
The return trip provided opportunities to admire the alpine flowers, rocks, & wildlife.
Flowers on the green ledge (at least eight kinds)
Flowers on the green ledge (at least eight kinds)
More flowers
More flowers
Spotty Rocks
Spotty Rocks
Ptarmigan in front of the Barrier (now the white underbody & gray upper body make sense)
Ptarmigan in front of the Barrier (now the white underbody & gray upper body make sense)
Move to Crescent Creek Camp (1:00pm – 2:30pm) We moved our camp to a small site in Crescent Creek basin below Terror.
Route to camp (traversing just above green patches)
Route to camp (traversing just above green patches)
View back at route from Chopping Block Camp to Crescent Creek Basin Camp, viewed from Terror
View back at route from Chopping Block Camp to Crescent Creek Basin Camp, viewed from Terror
Terror Attempt (2:45pm – 9:30pm) With the move done quickly, we thought perhaps we could fit in Terror today. Mike had done Terror previously, so he stayed behind and set up camp. The gully west of Terror still had continuous snow, but it was steep, sometimes narrow, and hard enough to require crampons. The notch atop the gully was also still snow-filled, and had dramatic views toward Picket Pass.
Looking up the West Terror Gully
Looking up the West Terror Gully
Ascending the West Terror Gully
Ascending the West Terror Gully
Pickets Pass & Furies from West Terror Notch
Pickets Pass & Furies from West Terror Notch
McMillan Creek & Luna from West Terror Notch
McMillan Creek & Luna from West Terror Notch
We went around the corner on snow, then climbed up onto the crest. We were actually too far around the corner, and this path required several pitches and some 5th class moves, which consumed too much time.
Snow at West Terror Notch
Snow at West Terror Notch
Rocks we went up
Rocks we went up
With time running out, we hurried directly up the crest as far as we could, which put us at the false summit, where we had to turn back. Late light cut across the western wing of the southern Pickets.
Shadows from False Summit onto Terror Summit (there’s a deep gap hiding in between)
Shadows from False Summit onto Terror Summit (there’s a deep gap hiding in between)
Matt near false summit
Matt near false summit
Degenhardt & McMillan Glaciers
Degenhardt & McMillan Glaciers
McMillan Spires & Elephant Butte
McMillan Spires & Elephant Butte
We went back down the ridge to a rappel anchor right above the notch. Rosy light lit only the tips of the peaks now.
Hiking back down toward the notch (Twin Needles & Frenzelspitz in background)
Hiking back down toward the notch (Twin Needles & Frenzelspitz in background)
Last light on Chopping Block & Triumph
Last light on Chopping Block & Triumph
Layers of passes stretching west (Goodell-McMillan & Pickell are the first two)
Layers of passes stretching west (Goodell-McMillan & Pickell are the first two)
As we prepared to rappel, the sun threw out a last splendor of burning light as it crashed into the horizon. By the time we descended the gully, it was very dark. No fun cramponing down the colder harder snow with only a few feet at a time visible in our headlamps.
Ready to rappel into the notch
Ready to rappel into the notch
At the notch, not smiling so much now
At the notch, not smiling so much now
Descending the gully by headlamp
Descending the gully by headlamp
Day 3: Terror 8151, West Peak, Otto-Himmel-Horn Col Terror (Matt, Dicey, ErinB) (10am – 6:15pm) The night was very windy, so we stayed abed till the winds died down, then tried Terror again. Overnight the gully snow had deteriorated. About 1/3 up, a break had opened but was crossable on rock. About 2/3 up, the snow was narrowing over a steeper deeper section.
Windy morning in camp (note distortion of the tents)
Windy morning in camp (note distortion of the tents)
West Terror gully
West Terror gully
Overnight break in the snow
Overnight break in the snow
Another view of Picket Pass & Fury
Another view of Picket Pass & Fury
We chose a better route from the notch to the ridge crest, going up a protruding outcrop near the corner, then angling back right and ending up at the rappel anchor, which stayed within steep class 4+ range. Circa 7800, we got off the righthand side of the crest into the gully that separates the true and false summits, where a wide ledge led up to the notch separating them.
Routes we climbed (yesterday was rocks on left today was up large rock in center, then angling right)
2 labels
Routes we climbed (yesterday was rocks on left today was up large rock in center, then angling right)
Ledge in gap between false & true Terror
Ledge in gap between false & true Terror
From the false/true summit notch, it was class 3+ (a bit of class 4) slabby scrambling to the top.
Sharp side of Terror False Summit
Sharp side of Terror False Summit
Not sure I can explain this move
Not sure I can explain this move
Scrambling to true summit
Scrambling to true summit
The summit itself was a small pointy very exposed pinnacle. We hung out for lunch in a more reassuring pile of rocks slightly lower.
Matt on Terror summit
Matt on Terror summit
Carla on Terror summit
Carla on Terror summit
Erin on Terror summit
Erin on Terror summit
Break spot, viewed from summit
Break spot, viewed from summit
The wings of the southern Picket chain stretched out on both sides of us.
East wing of the Southern Pickets (McMillan Creek, Elephant Butte, McMillans, Inspiration, Pyramid, Degenhardt)
East wing of the Southern Pickets (McMillan Creek, Elephant Butte, McMillans, Inspiration, Pyramid, Degenhardt)
View south into Crescent Creek Basin
View south into Crescent Creek Basin
West wing of the Southern Pickets (Rake, Twin Needles, Himmel & Ottohorn hidden, Frenzelspitz, West Peak)
West wing of the Southern Pickets (Rake, Twin Needles, Himmel & Ottohorn hidden, Frenzelspitz, West Peak)
We also looked onward to Picket Pass, we scoped out possible camps on the Frenzelspitz ridge or atop Point 6900 above the pass.
Picket Pass
Picket Pass
For descending, we did one rappel at the top of the summit slabs (optional) and one rappel into the west gully notch (vertical). We also did a several rappels in the west gully, because the snow was becoming very thin. At the constriction, I was torn between wanting to kick the narrow snow harder to make sure I didn’t slip, and being afraid it would collapse completely if I kicked it too hard.
Helmet Hair
Helmet Hair
Rapelling to the west gully notch
Rapelling to the west gully notch
Descending the gully in daylight
Descending the gully in daylight
Hiking back to camp
Hiking back to camp
Mossy flowers amid slabs near camp
Mossy flowers amid slabs near camp
Next day view of our tracks in the gully
Next day view of our tracks in the gully
West Peak, Otto-Himmel-Horn Col (mtnmike) Mike explored westward. He climbed West Peak, which he reported had some challenging 4th class sections. Then he explored the Ottohorn-Himmelhorn col. The snow was completely gone below the giant chockstone at the top, requiring steep 4th class climbing on the side. Mike found it too sketchy to reach the col without a rope. Changing Our Plans Based on Mike’s reconnaissance, we decided not to try our planned traverse through the Otto-Himmel-Horn col and beyond, where several other sections would also be problematic due to lack of snow. That left us remaining in the Crescent Creek basin with food for six more days. Where else to go while we were here? Mike had already climbed most of the peaks, but was willing to wait in camp. We decided to do Degenhardt & Pyramid tomorrow, and maybe West Twin Needle the next day. Evening in Camp
Evening in camp
Evening in camp
Bright clouds over The Chopping Block
Bright clouds over The Chopping Block
Sunset glow over Despair/Hagan/Blum/Baker
Sunset glow over Despair/Hagan/Blum/Baker
That completes 3 of the 5 days. I'm posting this much now so the Terror description can be available for a trip coming up soon.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 am 
Matt, I always love reading your Picket Range trip reports... Thanks for the detailed write-up and beautiful pictures... Looking forward to the rest when you get back from this year's installment! smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
iron

iron
PostSun Jan 19, 2014 11:58 am 
ahem......

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Jan 19, 2014 12:30 pm 
Darn, I thought I had finished this one. I remember working on the last couple days of it. Hmm, the files show 700 words of text already written with 35 photos embedded. Maybe I can finish it sometime soon.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
cartman

cartman
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm 
Patiently waiting (mummified, but patient...)

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 pm 
lol.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/