Forum Index > Gear Talk > Let’s talk Gloves
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 4:03 pm 
Been using these for the last few years. They are just $15ish gloves from Home Depot cloth back/leather palm that weigh in at 3oz and are reasonably vented. These are primarily used for sun protection and during scrambling as they don’t provide much warmth. The plan is to do the Colorado Trail this summer fires permitting, so my very pale skinned self is going to be baking in the sun. So any better suggestions?
Gloves
Gloves

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:01 pm 
I am currently carrying a pair of these Atlas 370 nitrile gloves. Super lightweight. Great for pushing brush aside. Not worth a damn for Himalaya Blackberry or Devils Club, otherwise they do what I want them to do. Cheap. Nothing fancy. Ace Hardware.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 pm 
If sun protection is all you need, and not brush bashing or scrambling, a super lightweight pair of paddling gloves would work. Or fingerless sun gloves. Or bicycle gloves. Of course, you could buy a whole box of those Atlas nitrile gloves for the price of a new pair of one of the above.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 pm 
^ yep. I think I paid about $5 bucks for one pair up at Ace. cheap cheap. all I wanted was something to protect my hands through brush - I'm not doing Class 4 scrambles with them.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm 
If you are working with saws (like the wickedly sharp Corona models), you probably want a glove that protects your whole hand from unintended sawing and slashing. I think that a full leather glove with no cloth parts is probably best. There may be some high-tech Kevlar reinforced gloves out there that might work, too.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
If sun protection is all you need, and not brush bashing or scrambling, a super lightweight pair of paddling gloves would work. Or fingerless sun gloves. Or bicycle gloves. Of course, you could buy a whole box of those Atlas nitrile gloves for the price of a new pair of one of the above.
I started using OR sun gloves I like them a lot the skin on my hands has lost it’s subcutaneous fat and elasticity and I need to preserve and protect them. Aging... shakehead.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm 
Hit Rei yesterday and had fun trying out some of your suggestions. What I found out was that both padding and bike gloves look to be viable options, but I’am going to have to be very specific on which ones I get as they need to play well with trekking poles. Unfortunately I found close, but no winners yet. As for sun gloves Rei carries OP and they come fingered/half fingered and leather/cloth palmed. Seems to be the lightest option other than Altek $5 gloves. Liking the sun gloves, but combined with my Tilly hat and umbrella if I see my reflection I might have a hand time not screaming out Dork.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 pm 
Think how dorky you'd look with more mottling and liver spots from sun damage. Skin cancer is really dorky as well.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:25 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Think how dorky you'd look more mottling and liver spots from sun damage. Skin cancer is really dorky as well.
^^^This. I wear sun gloves, long sleeve sun shirts, and Tilly hat on shady and sunny days. I once had a coworker giving me crap for covering up when he would see me come back from lunch time walks. He bragged about all his years of water skiiing without covering up or even wearing sun screen. While I was working at that company, he was diagnosed with skin cancer, and even though he was otherwise very healthy, he was dead within a year. Is that dorky? Big fallacy is that cloudy days do not require sun protection. Apparently many people feel only hot days require sunscreen. Just a heads up..... clouds block 0% of cancer producing sun rays. I now live in the High Desert. You can tell at a glance who the locals are. People seem proud of their weathered faces and hands and perpetual red skin. Women in their 30's looking like they are 50 years old is apparently "cool". I will stay with "dorky". Especially after having a 1 inch square chopped out of my forehead, due to my days of my youth which happened before sunscreen or covering up existed. The dangerous results can show up decades later, which is why some people complain they just started using sunscreen or covering and are having problems anyway.

friluftsliv
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 6:15 pm 
boot up wrote:
even though he was otherwise very healthy, he was dead within a year. Is that dorky?
Dead dorky.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm 
Talking to the choir Boot up and Alpine rose. I’am under no illusion that in full getup that I remotely fall into the cool kids camp. biggrin.gif. I had some illusions up until I added the hiking umbrella to the tilly and gloves, that was just a step to far. Now when I’am also wearing my hiking skirt, excuse me kilt........

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm 
embrace being unique! Being a clone is boring. hockeygrin.gif

friluftsliv