Forum Index > Trip Reports > Baker Scott Paul-Squak-Easton-Railroad Grade Loop 6/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm 
Got a few hours of sleep then left the car at 12:30am. Still couldn't drive to the trailhead, parked maybe a tenth to quarter mile away where blocked by snow. It rained hard at times throughout the evening before leaving so was very glad on the itinerary! Started up the Scott Paul trail, somehow despite GPS navigation and crossing and intercepting the trail many times, we never actually found the trail and bush whacked all the way to tree line. I mean seriously what is with that trail, I did at least three perpendicular crossings with the trail on my map where there was no snow on the ground and didn't see even the slightest sign of a trail. Occasional boot tracks in the snow. Anyways, got up to tree line and then climbed up and over Crag View. Turns out it'd be much easier to go around this rock but didn't know the route to do so. Followed a boot track on the Squak Glacier to 8000ft where a part had turned around, probably due to the exhaustion of post holing. I then put in a very exhausting boot track up to 8600ft traversing about half a mile over to the Easton route because I knew I wouldn't have the physical strength to put in the whole Squak Glacier. Breakable ice crust with 6-12" boot penetration. Honestly one of the most exhausting half miles I've ever put in I think. Hooked onto the Easton which had heavy traffic and then went up to the summit in the luxury of a boot track. It was incredibly hot low, I was in a t-shirt in the middle of the night below tree line. Then it immediately got cold and windy right about at the glacier. So cold and windy on the summit I didn't even bother take a picture. Coming down the roman wall at 10:30 or so it was already turning to slop, all the skiers on the mountain were late and just heading up at that point. Walked down the sloppy mess of a glacier that feels like it goes on forever on the Easton. Took the railroad grade out to make a nice loop, plus no way are we bush whacking down the Scott Paul "trail". Now early afternoon and we're both long out of water. Got a little snow melted in bottles. Oops don't climb Baker on 2L of water each. Felt like absolute garbage back at the car and drank a few liters of practically boiling hot water that we left behind to quench the thirst.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message