Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bucket list trip to New Zealand next year!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
doublemom

doublemom
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 6:34 pm 
I'm finally doing it... I just scored permits for 4 of the Great Walks in New Zealand and I'm going Feb/Mar 2019 : Milford Track, Heaphy Track, part of Abel Tasman, and Tongariro Northern Circuit. All will be solo except for Abel Tasman and I'll be staying in the huts. My DH will be flying in for part of the time and will do 3 days at Abel Tasman with me. The rest of the time we'll be visiting his aunts, uncles, cousins, and doing "touristy" stuff like the Waitomo Caves, ziplines, kayaking, etc. I'll be 51 when I go... I guess this could be called my midlife crisis?? hahaha! I've been wanting this for years, glad we're finally able to make it work out smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 pm 
You go girl! NZ is an amazing place with lots of great things to do and see. I hope you'll have a life experience and enjoy the heck out of it. Right on!!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
gray matter

gray matter
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 pm 
Have a great trip! My wife and I did the Milford Track on our honeymoon.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am 
Nice. 15 days on the ground wasn't enough when the sweetie and I were there Dec / Jan 2015/2016. We only did the north 3/4 of the south island. Abel Tasman is very nice (3 days / 2 nights), although it was strange to see people coming down the ramps of the water taxis and pulling roller bags up the beach. We were a bit late getting our camp spots arranged so it was a very short day 1 to Apple Tree Bay, a longer day 2 to the Tonga Quarry site and a super short stroll over to the pick up at Onetahuti beach on day 3. Super plush camp sites. A day hike up and back to the first hut on the Routeburn Track was well worth it. Pancake Rocks is worth it, especially if you stay at the quirky and cool Te Nikau Retreat at Punakaiki.

doublemom

doublemom
PostWed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 am 
Thanks for the ideas smile.gif I'll be there almost 6 weeks and I fell like I'll barely get to see everything that I want to do there. ... If I could only get a horse tranquilizer for the 13+ hour flight smile.gif I have a hard time getting to Europe and back, this flight is gonna kill me!