Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire in Two Little Lakes Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 am 
My daughter who is working for the Entiat Ranger District was just informed of a fire in the Two Little Lakes Area but I don’t have any trail closure information or specifics.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 am 
There has been some recent scattered thunderstorms and the east side is already very dry.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:21 am 
https://www.facebook.com/OkaWenNF/photos/a.784724688311718.1073741835.784196435031210/1659415030842675/?type=3
Quote:
FIRE UPDATE Friday, June 22, 2018 – 9:10 a.m. Forest Service firefighters are responding to three small lightning-caused wildfires burning in the Okanogan-Wenatchee NF and also assisting WA State Department of Natural Resources fire crews on fires burning on state managed lands in north central Washington. The largest of the fires in the national forest is the 10-acre Tommy Creek fire burning approximately 30 miles NW of Entiat, WA. Today, around 30-35 firefighters, with helicopter support, will be working on this fire. The fire is burning in timber, down logs, and brush. The other two fires are about a quarter acre each in size--the Paris Creek fire is burning 16 miles NW of Cle Elum, just north of Salmon la Sac Campground, and crews are mopping up the Wildcat fire located 23 miles SW of Naches, about one mile above Rimrock Lake. None of these fires are threatening any structures. Today, personnel on air reconnaissance flights will be looking for additional fires.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 am 
And so it begins...

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:57 am 
Just put it out ASAP!!!! WAY too early to be throwing in the towel in non-smoky hikes!!! High places aren't even melted out!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 11:29 am 
awilsondc wrote:
And so it begins...
It's actually already begun, just not on a large scale here in Washington State. Huge fires have been burning in Colorado and elsewhere. Given the lack of proper forest management during the last few decades, combined with the effects of the "total suppression" policy that was in effect for almost a century and the effects of a warming climate, we can look forward to more frequent fires, more destructive fires, and more fires in places we would not ordinarily expect them to occur for at least another three or four decades (if not longer) until there is a point of equilibrium reached.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 pm 
I'm pro-total suppression!!! Aleast anywhere that's in MY WAY!!! let em rage elsewhere but where i'm goin PUT IT OUT

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 2:27 pm 
A rumbling session of The sky, not the belly has been taking place since about one this afternoon. The DNR has a fire going east of Conconully. The area to havethe North and east of here got hit hard last night. I am starting to smell rain approaching. That's a good thing for fires but is bad for the cherries.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:19 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
I'm pro-total suppression!
Well.... the Forest Service and other lands management agencies have realized that the "total suppression" policy was an error in judgment and are using different tactics in the present day. If they had adequate funding appropriations, they'd be able to do the management operations to thin over-crowded stands, perform controlled burning operations to incinerate some of the fuel load that's accumulated on the ground, and deal with other issues that might help mitigate the destructiveness that's been seen in recent wildfire events. They don't have the money, so those things are not done, so the forests will burn. Your tax dollars at work. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 11:43 pm 
Ski wrote:
"...more frequent fires, more destructive fires, and more fires in places we would not ordinarily expect them to occur..."
The season's definitely here! I'm going to post this one here because it's the most recent "fire" thread. If somebody thinks it's a better idea to start up a new thread dedicated to this event (or all fires) go for it. Thousands evacuate in Lake County as fire burns over 7,000 acres (* Clear Lake Oaks is about 60 miles northwest of Sacramento )

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 4:52 am 
Red Flag warning today low humidity and 40 mph winds in the Wenatchee area.

Living in the Anthropocene
gb

gb
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:05 am 
And here we go NWS 6/25 AM:
Quote:
.SHORT TERM... Thunderstorms moved across the CWA last night, adding spice to what would have been a more typical showery western WA night. KUIL`s sounding yesterday afternoon indicated a conditionally unstable profile ahead of the cold front. However, there was relatively strong upward forcing with the cold front, perhaps stronger than what the models advertised. This caused the air mass to lift across much of the CWA, resulting in saturation of the air parcels. Voila! Destabilization of the air mass. Consequently, we had a nice (but short-lived) light and boom show last night. The front is presently east of the Cascades, where the thunderstorms are now occurring. Look for the upper level trough just offshore to move over the region today for cool and unsettled conditions. The best chance of showers will be over the coast, mountains, and within the Puget Sound Convergence Zone (PSCZ). The PSCZ is expected to develop in its typical location near the Snohomish/King County line. There will probably be some small hail with the heavier showers, and an isolated lightning strike can`t be completely ruled out. Overall, it looks like the thunderstorm threat will be over British Columbia.
Western Washington should be OK (it rained heavily in the Eastern Olympics a couple of days ago) but east of the crest it is quite dry. This cold front producing thunderstorms particularly in late spring is something uncommon but not out of the ordinary. The bigger threat is when a cut-off low remains stationary over Eastern Oregon/Washington to Idaho like about a week ago. That pattern is one we didn't used to see as often.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:05 am 
Around 3AM this morning, a big storm went through Okanogan County. The wind was pretty strong and I guess some trees went down around the county and a few fires were started. There was a pretty good lightning show and luckily, heavy rain with it. Probably lots of sleep deprived ( I are one) folks this morning as it was a noisy time. It was fun to watch though...for a while and wild. The fires did not get big. The rain helped firefighters.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 am 
You can see where the lightning strikes were on this map: https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/america/index.php?lang=en Comparing that to NWS precipitation observations there were suspect strikes particularly in the southern part of the Sawtooths and Chelan with a couple near Twisp and Winthrop. But many strikes were from Othello north, much of that area showing no to little rain until you get up in the Republic Okanogan area. I would think there will be a number of grassland/scrub fires in particular. And then in SW BC in the Kamloops/Blue River/Jasper/Banff/Colville area there is also the probability of many fire starts depending on wetness. This is from Environment Canada but only shows strikes in the last hour. Right now the Rockies are erupting. But you can see how the thunderstorms tracked by comparing to the above link.

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:26 am 
At least it looks to remain cool with some moisture the next week.