Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite old growth valley in the Olympics?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am 
I'm taking my Mom out to the Peninsula this weekend and am looking for the best short (~4-5 mi RT) flatish old growth walk/hike. I've done East Fk Quinault and the Main Fork of the Hoh, but am considering South Fk Hoh or North Fk Quinault and have not been to either. Do people have a "favorite" section of old growth/river near the start of these trails and a recommendation? I'm leaning South Fk Hoh as it's pretty flat and not very busy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 pm 
South fork Hoh starts out in DNR Reprod. By the time you get into old growth, the trail gets hard to find and peters out. That said if you hike the big flat along the river bars and elk trails the old growth and valley are spectacular.

tinman

tinman
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 pm 
Not sure when Gregory was last there but the South Fork trail starts out in 50-60 year old trees for the first quarter mile then enters the Park old growth for the next 3 1/2 miles before it peter's out. I was just there 2 wks ago and the trail is cleared of blowdown but the ferns are pretty thick. Trail had a major brushing about 2 years ago. The only people I saw were 3 Hoh tribal biologists doing salmon spawning counts.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 pm 
beardo_mcgrath wrote:
(~4-5 mi RT) flatish old growth walk/hike
There are some short loop trails down along the South Shore Quinault Road on USFS lands. I've only walked one of them - quite a while back - it was only a mile or so in length and I don't recall any real monster trees. There are some fabulous specimens of old Douglas Fir on the North Shore Road at July Creek Campground (which is only a few miles off 101.) The road is a pretty much one lane - gravel - dusty. The lower end of the Queets River Road ends at Matheny Creek 7.0 miles from Hwy 101. There are some pretty impressive specimens of Sitka Spruce and Big Leaf maple right along the road BUT none of it is really "old growth" - it's actually pretty much ALL second-growth forest, but most people wouldn't know that without being told - the area was homesteaded beginning in 1890 and most of the land was cleared for agriculture. The UPPER end of the Queets River Road (from the junction at the end of the "back door" road and the Queets River Road) is only about 3.5 miles and there are some impressive specimens of Sitka Spruce, Western Hemlock, and Big-Leaf Maple along the road. (driving directions HERE.) The Sams River Loop Trail is only about 2.5 miles in length and is relatively flat. It should be fabulous this time of year when the maple is in full leaf and the grass in Cowan Field is all lush and green. There's not really a lot of big wood along the trail, though, although there is a record Sitka Spruce about 20 feet south of the road just opposite the second road going into the campground. The river will be too high to cross right now so you would not be able to go up the Queets Trail, where there are much larger specimens. Sams River Loop Trail report March 12 2014 Sams River Loop Trail report August 02 2006 Between the Queets and the Hoh is the Duncan Memorial Cedar - the world's tallest Western Red Cedar at 178 feet high. It's a 4.1 mile drive off of Hwy 101. Along the road is a small grove of ancient Western Red Cedar where there's a tiny little piece of trail. Last time I was up there I missed it - I may not have been paying close enough attention as it was pouring down rain - and there may or may not still be a sign there. I have never been up the South Fork Hoh, so I cannot speak to that one. I'm not sure if the big cedar at Kalaloch is still standing. You'd have to ask them at the Kalaloch Ranger Station about that one. Birdie would know: 360 962 2283 (tell her I said hello.) If this is a day trip deal within the next two weeks, you can buzz up there from Seattle or Tacoma, drive all the way up to the Queets Ranger Station and walk around the Sams Loop Trail, come back out and go down to the beach for a bit, buzz up to the Duncan Memorial Cedar and walk that little loop trail I mentioned above, and still have time to go back down and watch the sunset at Kalaloch. It will be a long day and you won't get back home until about one or two in the morning, but it can be done. Casa Mia in Aberdeen stays open pretty late so you can stop and eat dinner there on the way home. I don't mention the Bogachiel because: (1) I'm not sure what the situation is with Undi Road and (2) there's no real "old growth" until you get in a few miles.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 11:06 am 
I've hiked out the NF Q trail a handful of times, and I remember some fantastic old growth just a mile or two up from the trailhead.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 1:14 pm 
I've only been up the NF Quinalt once, and it was a very long time ago. What sticks in my memory was how beautiful it was. I remember thinking at the time it was even better than the Hoh.

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 pm 
Thanks for the tips everyone. We ended up hiking couple miles up the S Fk Hoh, some pretty big Sitka Spruce along the trail, and we were the only ones there on a Sunday. Sounds like the N Fk Quinault is worth a visit, maybe next time...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm 
Only walked up the North Fork Quinault trail about 50 yards while doing a road inventory for the Park years ago. The North Shore Quinault Road is paved for the first mile or so, then turns into a long, winding loose gravel road the rest of the way. Not sure if the South Shore Road is any better. As I mentioned above, there are some enormous Douglas Firs right along the road on the North Shore Road.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
silence

silence
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm 
Good choice
beardo_mcgrath wrote:
We ended up hiking couple miles up the S Fk Hoh, some pretty big Sitka Spruce along the trail, and we were the only ones there on a Sunday.
Shot Dec 23, 2011
Reaching
Reaching

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan