Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pear Butte/Bismarck Peak/Rattlesnake Peaks North June 21-22, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 pm 
I celebrated the start of summer with a hike in the William O Douglas Wilderness Area to Bismarck Peak (spelled Bismark on WTA). Looking at Peakbagger I could see a couple of other summits in the area so I added them as bonus peaks. Starting on the Pear Butte trail I walked about 5 miles to where I thought the junction with the Bismarck Peak Trail was. This trail may or may not appear on your map, but it's really there. It starts several hundred yards south of where Green Trails shows a short spur with dotted lines. At any rate, I dropped my pack and made the quick hike over to Pear Butte. I left the trail at the 5800' saddle on the north side of the peak where it begins to drop and ascended the somewhat brushy slope easily to the summit.
Crowd pleaser shot of Rainier.
Crowd pleaser shot of Rainier.
Nelson Ridge from Pear Butte Trail.
Nelson Ridge from Pear Butte Trail.
Bismarck Peak in the distance.
Bismarck Peak in the distance.
Pear Butte ahead.
Pear Butte ahead.
Approaching Pear Butte summit.
Approaching Pear Butte summit.
Bismarck and Rattlesnake Peaks.
Bismarck and Rattlesnake Peaks.
Pear Butte summit.
Pear Butte summit.
Pear Lake.
Pear Lake.
View southeast.
View southeast.
I returned and found the trail junction about 200 yards beyond where I had left my pack. I had walked right past it and didn't see it since the signs were covered by limbs and there was some blowdown obscuring the start of the trail. I spent a while and spiffed up the area so that it's now easily visible.
The Bismarck Peak Trail branches off of the Pear Butte Trail. I spent some time sprucing up this intersection since I walked right past it without seeing it.
The Bismarck Peak Trail branches off of the Pear Butte Trail. I spent some time sprucing up this intersection since I walked right past it without seeing it.
On the Bismarck Peak Trail. Snow still covers the trail where it crosses to the north side of the ridge.
On the Bismarck Peak Trail. Snow still covers the trail where it crosses to the north side of the ridge.
The Bismarck Peak Trail is in surprisingly good shape and easy to follow. There is a short section on the north side of Point 6816 that has slid out and the slope is quite steep below. It may be because I was alone but this section made me nervous. Once on the other side I wasn't looking forward to returning this way.
Still in good shape and easy to follow.
Still in good shape and easy to follow.
View south.
View south.
I entered the 6300' basin below Bismarck and looked for a place to camp. Much of the terrain is sloping but I located a suitable spot under a large hemlock with a green lantern hanging on it.
In the basin below the southwest side of Bismarck Peak.
In the basin below the southwest side of Bismarck Peak.
The summit route starts at the forested saddle between Bismarck and Point 6818.
The summit route starts at the forested saddle between Bismarck and Point 6818.
A green lantern at camp.
A green lantern at camp.
Basin and Point 6816 at the end of the longest day of the year.
Basin and Point 6816 at the end of the longest day of the year.
The morning was foggy so I waited for some clearing before beginning the day. By 7:30 it was looking pretty good and off I went to the 6550' forested saddle between Bismarck and Point 6816. Again, there is a trail that goes up here.
The green lantern camp in the morning.
The green lantern camp in the morning.
Elk grazing below.
Elk grazing below.
Goats on the route up.
Goats on the route up.
Upward.
Upward.
Steep and loose.
Steep and loose.
Wet and full with no pencil.
Wet and full with no pencil.
Nelson Ridge north.
Nelson Ridge north.
The steep part before the summit for those contemplating the Aix to Bismarck traverse.
The steep part before the summit for those contemplating the Aix to Bismarck traverse.
After spending a while on Bismarck, I started the descent to the 6200' saddle with Rattlesnake Peaks. My Wa Gazetteer shows a trail heading down that way but I saw no sign of one. I walked the ridge straight down and it worked well. This is the route described in the Beckey Guide as "an easy ridge walk" for Bismarck.
Bivy site on the summit and Rattlesnake Peaks below.
Bivy site on the summit and Rattlesnake Peaks below.
Heading down to Rattlesnake Peaks.
Heading down to Rattlesnake Peaks.
A 570' foot climb to the top.
A 570' foot climb to the top.
Bismarck while ascending Rattlesnake Peaks.
Bismarck while ascending Rattlesnake Peaks.
South Peak below.
South Peak below.
Mt Aix.
Mt Aix.
There are several of these curious holes on the summit.
There are several of these curious holes on the summit.
From the summit of Rattlesnake Peaks I could see a faint trail heading westward from the 6200' saddle toward Bismarck. Once back at the saddle I walked this trail for 1/2 mile or so before eventually losing it. It seemed too regular to be a game trail. Beckey makes reference to The Rattlesnake Peaks Trail 1100 that climbs up from the 3600' level of Rattlesnake Creek and traverses Bismarck Pk at the 6400' level. It is still on maps but only shows up to the 5800' level. I'll bet it's still hikeable and there are some beautiful meadows with a creek flowing on the northeast and another on the east side of Rattlesnake Peaks to camp. I could see deep gullies and steep snow ahead so I reluctantly went back up to the ridge and over the summit of Bismarck again.
I followed what looked like a trail from the 6200' saddle between Bismarck and Rattlesnake Peaks. I had to climb back up to the ridge to Bismarck when I lost it.
I followed what looked like a trail from the 6200' saddle between Bismarck and Rattlesnake Peaks. I had to climb back up to the ridge to Bismarck when I lost it.
Looking down the route on Bismarck from near the summit. Point 6816 below.
Looking down the route on Bismarck from near the summit. Point 6816 below.
After packing up, I hiked back up to the forested saddle above the basin and crossed over Point 6816 to regain the trail at the western saddle. This completely bypasses the slide area and is a scenic walk though adds a few hundred feet of extra climbing. This ridge splits at one point so care must be taken not to descend the branch that drops to Rattlesnake Creek. Once again I came upon an old trail with blazes and all on the western saddle of Point 6816. It seemed to go in the direction of Rattlesnake Creek but I did not investigate. It could be the trail depicted on some maps that goes around the south side of 6816 as well.
Bismarck from Point 6816 on the way out.
Bismarck from Point 6816 on the way out.
22 miles and 9000' of gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 11:53 pm 
rocker.gif Sweet ass trip man! Love that area, did Bismarck a few years back. That basin below Bismarck is so cool! I also saw the biggest lion tracks I've ever seen up there too, rather fresh ones! martial.gif Thanks for the memories.

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
JimK

JimK
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 am 
Very similar to the overnight trip I did in 2008 except we turned around after Bismarck. I don't think many folks get back there. A fun trip with a lot of solitude.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 7:12 am 
JimK wrote:
Very similar to the overnight trip I did in 2008 except we turned around after Bismarck. I don't think many folks get back there. A fun trip with a lot of solitude.
Thanks Jim. Your trip report was very helpful when planning this hike. up.gif It is a lonesome area but a pretty good trail makes it accessible. Coincidentally, a Mountaineers group was up there a day before me. I read their report and they had to hunker down in a thunderstorm near the summit. https://www.mountaineers.org/activities/trip-reports/alpine-scramble-bismarck-peak

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 am 
Nice adding the rattlesnake peaks to the trip. I wish I had done that when I was in the area a few years ago.

Eric Eames
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 10:43 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
Nice adding the rattlesnake peaks to the trip. I wish I had done that when I was in the area a few years ago.
It's definitely one of the more isolated peaks in that area. Since I'll probably never get that close to it again I'm glad I made the side trip.

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:43 am 
Rich, how deep was the summit snow ridge on Rattlesnake? That area looks pretty melted out for this time of year.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:48 am 
gb wrote:
Rich, how deep was the summit snow ridge on Rattlesnake? That area looks pretty melted out for this time of year.
There is not much left. The patch seen on the north in the photo might be a few feet deep at most.

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 pm 
RichP wrote:
gb wrote:
There is not much left. The patch seen on the north in the photo might be a few feet deep at most.
I was there July 4th, 2016. At that time the snowbank was around 6' deep, maybe deeper. The more images I see of east side, and low elevation sites, especially south, the snowpack looks rather pathetic.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 am 
RichP wrote:
I thought this little NW ridge was a fine scramble that complements the great ridge walk from Aix Trail. I recommend it! How is the road 18 to 395 to Pear Butte TH (Road#s are from 1990 GT 271 Map)? Passenger car if driven carefully? Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 am 
All roads are in decent shape, John. Just the normal imbedded rock obstacle course but fine for any car with careful driving.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:27 am 
RichP wrote:
All roads are in decent shape, John. Just the normal imbedded rock obstacle course but fine for any car with careful driving.
Thank you Rich! You've become the ambassador to the Southern Cascade East side like wildernessed is the northern region! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am 
Just starting to scratch the surface of the area, but thanks! Packing up for another trip right now. biggrin.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:43 am 
RichP wrote:
Just starting to scratch the surface of the area, but thanks! Packing up for another trip right now. biggrin.gif
I love the area after the subalpine larches up north have lost their needles. About then the western larches of the Naches Ranger district are really taking off. Lesser travelled hikes on American Ridge. Thunder Creek to Buffalo Hump, Fifes Ridge, Round Mtn near White Pass area are all good ones for larches.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 am 
I rarely travel south but reports like this make me wanna go. Thanks Rich...