Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for a Ride to/from North Cascades from Seattle Airport in August (will pay generously)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am 
Hey, I want to give this a shot. I will be hiking the North Cascades between August 10th and August 24th. I need a ride to the park on the 10th and then from the park on the 24th. I'm looking to compensate for someone's time and energy to get me there and back for this trip. Please let me know if you are interested and we can talk further. This will be a huge help and relief. Thanks, Lauren

Lauren
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:26 am 
Good luck with your request, but you posted in the trip report section. moved to Trail Talk by moderator

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
canadug

canadug
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 1:38 pm 
Where in the North Cascades? It is a rather large area.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 pm 
I pondered your offer for a few moments and asked myself what I would charge if I took you up on it. I realized what I would ask for would probably be more than the cost of a rental car. So I'm very curious why you wouldn't just rent a car. If something else doesn't work out of course. Not necessarily at the airport, but at a local facility, which is much cheaper. As are weekly, as opposed to daily rates.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:13 pm 
You are giving the impression that you are solo. Your last comment on the other thread you said... "We haven't officially booked Seattle yet, but that was the initial itinerary" I'd recommend that you be honest about how many are in your party. Somebody shows up to pick you up and you are a party of 4, you're likely to piss somebody off. Jus say'n

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 9:50 am 
There could easily be a situation where someone on here is already driving to N Cascades from the Seattle area on the 10th (it is a Friday after all) for their own hiking purposes, and the added burden would be much less at that point than doing the entire drive only for $$. Likewise with the return trip. If I were already going that way and it was simply a matter of picking someone up and dropping them off, adding 30-45 min to my trip, I wouldn't charge more than a rental car. I assume that is what Lauren is hoping to find. Definitely worth a shot.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
I pondered your offer for a few moments and asked myself what I would charge if I took you up on it. I realized what I would ask for would probably be more than the cost of a rental car. So I'm very curious why you wouldn't just rent a car. If something else doesn't work out of course. Not necessarily at the airport, but at a local facility, which is much cheaper. As are weekly, as opposed to daily rates.
Also - I'm not trying to be facetious, but I'm honestly curious for my own future's sake. When I search for rental cars for 2 weeks, I get totals of around $1000 on the low end. Where are the deals you are talking about?

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 1:28 pm 
wanderwild wrote:
Also - I'm not trying to be facetious, but I'm honestly curious for my own future's sake. When I search for rental cars for 2 weeks, I get totals of around $1000 on the low end. Where are the deals you are talking about?
Yeah, I'm calling BS on the supposed "deals". Rental cars in this area are not cheap, especially in summer. Doesn't make sense to rent a car for two weeks if it's just going to sit around at a trailhead. Her request isn't unreasonable. Agree with Bootpathguy - you need to indicate how many people need a ride.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 1:41 pm 
^ Not to mention most major car rental agencies have policies prohibiting taking their vehicles off paved roads. We got hassled by Hertz at the airport in SLC when returning a Town Car that we'd taken on a little side trip from Bear Canyon down to Deer Park, and that was over 20 years ago. I'd guess they're even tighter about it now.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 3:57 pm 
How much are you willing to pay to borrow somebody's spare ( and dependable ) vehicle that is just sitting in the driveway? Assume you have to Uber to their place from the airport

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 pm 
Bootpath Guy/Man/Boy, There are two of us in the party. We are from the East Coast. A rental for two weeks is between 800-1000 on average. An Uber is around 250 each way from the Seattle Airport. I have done a lot of research on the subject matter. I have extended myself to this post because it doesn't seem economically feasible to save up for a rental when it will be used all of four hours (to get to the park and back). I am planning to do back country hiking, so the rental concept really isn't ideal. I hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Lauren
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:53 pm 
Backpacker Joe, Right, sorry, I am new to this forum. I didn't mean to cause a fuss. I am from the East Coast and I am just reaching out to all the resources I can find available. I apologize for posting in the wrong section.

Lauren
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:54 pm 
AlpineRose, If you are a Seattle or regional resident, who can give four hours of his/her day to help another hiker out on two days in August for less than 500.00 then I consider you reasonable. If you are saying that you'd charge someone more than 800.00 for 8 hours of your time than I don't know what kind of person you are, but there really was no constructive feedback to your response.

Lauren
LRN
EAST2WEST

LRN
EAST2WEST
PostTue Jun 26, 2018 4:57 pm 
Wanderwild, Thanks.

Lauren
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jun 27, 2018 12:23 am 
Where in the N Cascades? Stevens Pass? Much further north and it will be a fair bit more than 4 hours round trip for a driver unless they're already going to your trailhead(s). I took AlpineRose's post as an attempt to be helpful fwiw. Everyone has a right to decide how much they'd charge to spend a good part of a day doing something like this (just as you have a right to choose not to spend that much!). I don't think that's a matter of being reasonable or unreasonable fwiw...