Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rainy Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon May 20, 2019 5:06 pm 
Thank you!. This is great information. I started looking at that hike about two weeks ago. Day 1, My plan is to head up to Rainy, paddle across and hike up the talus to Preacher. Then descend to Horse shoe lk. Day 2, Drop down to and paddle up Derrick lake and then the length of Snow lake. Leave a car at Alpental and make it out to Snow lake and out. Nine lakes in two days.

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon May 20, 2019 10:08 pm 
Dadfly - Sounds like a fun trip! Area around Horseshoe and Derrick is “interesting”....

When I grow up I wanna play.
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue May 21, 2019 7:26 am 
Indeed. It looks very interesting from the photos I have found in trip reports on this site. A few narrow gulleys and raft trips will hopefully help connect the dots.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue May 21, 2019 9:02 am 
@DadFly The talus climb only ascends about 1/3 of the way to the ridge to summit Preacher, at least from my quick observation. I'm not a mountaineer so I could be overestimating the difficulty but after reviewing a handful of GPS tracks I found online I averaged them out to this route which appears to be the best most direct. After covering about half of it last Sunday I can confirm that that half, at least, seems to be relatively easy until you hit the snowfield. https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/route/96965199-165d-4d2b-8e6f-75ff6a57126d/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 21, 2019 9:13 am 
DadFly wrote:
Thank you!. This is great information. I started looking at that hike about two weeks ago. Day 1, My plan is to head up to Rainy, paddle across and hike up the talus to Preacher. Then descend to Horse shoe lk. Day 2, Drop down to and paddle up Derrick lake and then the length of Snow lake. Leave a car at Alpental and make it out to Snow lake and out. Nine lakes in two days.
Ive done the Derrick to Hatchet to Caroline to Upper Wildcat to lower to Gem to Snow a few times. Its a great trip. I would hike up Cripple Creek to Derrick instead, but thats just me. A side trip up to Horseshoe Samrock elbow is easy from Derrick.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue May 21, 2019 8:19 pm 
How is the Middle Fork road to the Rainy Lake trailhead these days. My wife drives a prius so if it is the usual pitted condition I will have to find other transportation.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue May 21, 2019 9:08 pm 
Middle fork road is paved (To taylor river, so no potholes.

When I grow up I wanna play.