Forum Index > Trail Talk > Barclay lk Break ins
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 5:35 pm 
Actual experience. A coworker of mine had a 38 and a concealed carry permit. Unfortunately for him it made him more of a dick on the roads and this lead to a road rage conflict and he ended up on the street confronting the other driver and pulled his weapon, pointed it at the other driver and told him to "back off" . When the police came, they cuffed him immediately and took him into custody. Many months and thousands in court costs and attorneys fees the charges were dropped, but he had to surrender his concealed carry permit. I'm not against personal firearm ownership, but I'm against stupid ownership. Vigilante murders of thieves is a far bigger crime than car prowling.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 pm 
Recently a teenager and his girlfriend were walking their dog at Beaver Lake Park near Issaquah. When they got back they saw some kids breaking into cars. He got a handgun and tried to stop them. His reward for his trouble was gettin killed when they ran him down. This thread like all such threads has jumped the shark and deteriorated into the personal attacks time to send it to the phantom zone.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 7:50 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Actual experience. A coworker of mine had a 38 and a concealed carry permit. Unfortunately for him it made him more of a dick on the roads and this lead to a road rage conflict and he ended up on the street confronting the other driver and pulled his weapon, pointed it at the other driver and told him to "back off" . When the police came, they cuffed him immediately and took him into custody. Many months and thousands in court costs and attorneys fees the charges were dropped, but he had to surrender his concealed carry permit. I'm not against personal firearm ownership, but I'm against stupid ownership. Vigilante murders of thieves is a far bigger crime than car prowling.
I think many gun owners who buy into the NRA wet dreams of vigilantism don't realize this isn't like the movies. Like you said, better have solid legal help and deep pockets.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 6:00 am 
The trailheads along the hi way 2 corridor have seen quite an increase in break-ins the past few years. I know of a few at Heybrook, and ALW trailheads this year. Reliable trail cams under $200 could be used but LEO are more than likely to not do anything about it. I know of an instance where someone was stealing wood, caught on cam and person videoed but when it was turned over to LEO nothing was pursued. I have a CWP and carry for other reasons but shooting a car prowler would not make my list. It would be nice if the LEO would make an effort to catch these scumbags but they seem to have other priorities.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am 
Quote:
Vigilante murders of thieves is a far bigger crime than car prowling.
This is exactly the attitude that allows crime to prosper. Don't punish criminals. Allow them to harm all of society instead and punish law abiding citizens for defending themselves. Great idea.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 am 
Now in a competent society people wouldn't feel so angry and so willing to shoot thieves if law enforcement actually did their jobs and politicians didn't coddle criminals.

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am 
boot up wrote:
thanks for reminding me of some things I really don't miss from the Seattle area, such as people like you
Happy to serve!

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:12 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Vigilante murders of thieves is a far bigger crime than car prowling
To those who seem to have missed it the first time, this is what I was talking about. it's not a problem if you want to protect your safety at home and please, do so however you feel is best, but to talk about running around literally murdering people you suspect of crimes is BS of the tallest order and embarrassing to have to watch. None of you tough guys is ever going to do anything like what you're talking about so you sound silly. If you did, you'd likely end up like the guy in RH's story here. I'm not saying let the criminals run rampant, I'm saying leave it to LAW ENFORCEMENT.

uww

uww
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
I'm not saying let the criminals run rampant, I'm saying leave it to LAW ENFORCEMENT.
What do recommend when law enforcement lets the criminals run rampant? Serious question- I've had my car prowled in Seattle more times than I thought possible. I honestly think someone checks the doors every single night.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 7:18 pm 
UWW wrote:
I honestly think someone checks the doors every single night.
Only check? A friend of mine lived a few blocks off Aurora in Shoreline during the '80s. They needed to leave their doors unlocked, windows rolled down and driver's door propped open (with duct tape over the dome light switch) to keep from getting the driver's window smashed on a regular basis.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 pm 
The Lead Dog wrote:
The only place I can remember that was safe (In those days) was the trailhead to William's Lake at the end of the Middle Fork Road!
You can't go that far anymore, but the Dingford trailhead is still safe. I know that there's only been one breakin there in the last 5 years that involved breaking a window. There's no way to know if other thefts occurred, but I haven't heard of them. Mailbox Peak parking is a different story. It's closer to town and very busy. There's probably one breakin a month there now.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 10:21 pm 
To the "its much worse now than ever before" crowd

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 pm 
^ That's for the City of Seattle, not King County. It should also be considered that not everyone files a report with the local constabulary when their vehicle is broken into. If it's common knowledge among the populace that property crimes are at the very bottom of the priority list with local law enforcement, why waste time and energy filing a report? Who wants to answer a bunch of questions from the cops when nothing is going to come of it? Most people just pay the deductible, file an insurance claim, get their car fixed, and move on. (Or just pay it out of pocket instead of filing a claim and having their premiums jacked up.) Those that don't carry that kind of insurance just gnash their teeth, eat it, and chalk it up to experience. The last time I checked (which was at least a couple years ago), USFS had ONE law enforcement officer working the territory between Greenwater and the Canadian border. (or "boarder", as fearless leader would write it.) No doubt KCSO has more important stuff to do (like chasing off-leash dogs on the 520 Bridge) than worrying about your piddly-ass little problem of having your car broken into.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 7:00 am 
From the Okanogan/Methow facebook page about break ins on the North Cascades highway: Regarding recent trailhead car breakins along the HWY 20 corridor... this was just posted on the Methow BB... "Just this afternoon three culprit were apprehended front of the Mazama store. They were driving around in a red Pontiac car. Congratulation to Chief Budrow from Twisp, Winthrop Marshals and Okanogan Co. Sherrif Department.."

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 am 
Ski wrote:
That's for the City of Seattle, not King County
And you believe that stats and the behavior of crime victims for the rest of King county are substatially different from Seattle (and the rest of the state) for what reason?