Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments - Little Annapurna 6/28/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 9:57 pm 
Quick conditions update: Colchuck Lake and Aasgard Pass are totally melted out. The lakes basin still has a decent amount of snow, but much of it is melting out. Most of the lakes are in the process of thawing, some more than others but most are less than half way melted. I didn't commit to hiking until about 9 pm Wednesday night. The only area with a decent forecast was the Stuart Range. I still had McClellan and Little Annapurna to climb in The Enchantments so that's where I was gonna go. Only, it's a 4+ hour drive each way from my house. And it's a long hike. And I had to work Friday. In order to pull this off I was going to have to execute the no sleep plan. I was hoping to make the drive out, hike up in the dark, photograph golden hour in the enchantments basin, and then bag McClellan and Little Annapurna and head back in time for some decent sleep before work on Friday. I was already behind schedule and I still had to pack and get food for the trip. A stop at Safeway and I was on my way. Turns out, I get pretty tired when it's past my bedtime. Must be getting old. I had to stop at a campground along 97 for a 10-15 power nap. I arrived at the trailhead around 2:30. I closed my eyes for a second. I opened them and it was 4:00. Must have dozed off. Golden hour in the enchantments basin was out, but I could still reach Colchuck Lake in time.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Colchuck Lake at sunrise
Colchuck Lake at sunrise
Colchuck Peak reflection
Colchuck Peak reflection
Golden hour light
Golden hour light
A couple nonchalant goats
A couple nonchalant goats
Colchuck Lake from Aasgard Pass
Colchuck Lake from Aasgard Pass
The sun rose a few minutes before I got to the lake, casting some nice colors on Mountaineer Ridge and later on Colchuck Peak. It was lovely. I stopped here to eat some food before heading for Aasgard Pass. The pass is melted out and easy to follow the multiple large cairns. I came across six goats on my way to the pass who were all apathetic about my presence and totally chill. I dragged a bit getting up to the pass, taking 20-30 minutes more than I would have liked. I don't remember what time I reached the pass, but I do remember realizing time was moving along and I was way behind schedule. I decided to bail on McClellan which would allow me time to get Little Annapurna and spend a good hour relaxing along the way and still get home in time for some decent sleep. My camera battery died at about this point and I didn't bring the right cord for my power bank. The rest are cell phone pictures. Little Annapurna was an easy and straight forward walk up. I spent only a few minutes on the summit as there was a party camped up there. I spent the rest of my leasire time in the upper basin with it's expansive shallow lakes which were really cool. The way out was like the way in, but backwards. This was only my third time in The Enchantments, and it was by far the most scenic. This really is one of the most beautiful places in the state. Here are the pics, which were unfortunately only cell phone pics. Ones marked PANO are worth a full screen view in the shadow box.
Colchuck Lake and Cashmere
Colchuck Lake and Cashmere
Dragontail catching some dramatic light
Dragontail catching some dramatic light
Dragontail PANO
Dragontail PANO
Isolation Lake and Witches Tower
Isolation Lake and Witches Tower
Melting tarn
Melting tarn
The Temple
The Temple
Little Annapurna summit PANO
Little Annapurna summit PANO
The Temple and Perfection and Crystal Lakes
The Temple and Perfection and Crystal Lakes
Enchantments Basin
Enchantments Basin
shallow and wide, and so fresh!
shallow and wide, and so fresh!
Dragontail and a tiny slab waterfall
Dragontail and a tiny slab waterfall
Enchantments basin PANO
Enchantments basin PANO

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 pm 
I've become all too familiar with the no sleep plan recently. I learned it from you wink.gif Beautiful shots! Your phone photos are better than my camera photos. McClellan is a great excuse go back, I thought it was a fun scramble.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 10:29 pm 
Nice man, i was up there baggin enchantment pk the day before you! Thats funny i was gonna hit Little A too but got a late start. It seems i sleep better in my car than in my bed lol. Nice tr and pics as always,cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
geyer

geyer
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 7:10 am 
Great photos! Those colors really pop

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 am 
Beautiful photos!

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm 
up.gif Nice we dayhiked Little A in November one year with no snow or people seen the entire trip I am waiting for those conditions again.

Living in the Anthropocene
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 pm 
Thanks fellas! Yeah, I'm definitely going back for McClellan. I think I'm going to win the lottery for golden week October '19 so I'll get it then, at least that's the plan. lol.gif
wildernessed wrote:
we dayhiked Little A in November one year with no snow or people seen the entire trip I am waiting for those conditions again.
That would be a little spooky, honestly. I was hiking with my family at a popular trail recently and as we were nearing the car and could see the parking lot it was eerily quiet and I joked, what if we get back and we are the only car in the parking lot?! Of course it was still littered with people. It's really hard to find solitude on these uber popular trails. I can't imagine a trip to the enchantments without seeing a single person! eek.gif Sounds awesome though! Maybe I'll have to go in November some time.