Forum Index > Gear Talk > Iphone 5c not showing map "Satellite" in deep woods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:42 pm 
I am thinking the phone is too old to have enough power to show the satellite view in maps, but it only shows a "dot" of location and the grid. Does anyone use a new Iphone in the woods for tracking? I use Strava also and it shows only a blue dot and my track, but I can never see terrain or satellite....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:59 pm 
The solution to this problem is to use software that supports offline map data. Then, you can even operate in airplane mode for longer battery life and still have your map. I use DeLorme (reluctantly after hated Garmin bought them). You can also do it with Google by pre-selecting your destination and viewing maps while you have data. Data cache sizes can be increased. Careful there though because Google will delete your maps after some amount of time and you can't depend on them being there forever.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 3:07 pm 
Huron wrote:
The solution to this problem is to use software that supports offline map data. Then, you can even operate in airplane mode for longer battery life and still have your map. I use DeLorme (reluctantly after hated Garmin bought them). You can also do it with Google by pre-selecting your destination and viewing maps while you have data. Data cache sizes can be increased. Careful there though because Google will delete your maps after some amount of time and you can't depend on them being there forever.
Great! Thanks for the info!

OwenT

OwenT
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 4:31 pm 
Yep I have the iphone SE and the gps dot shows where you are reliably and if I view the maps up close before going out of service I can use them but otherwise you're out of luck. There is an offline feature on maps to download the map of a certain area you select to have available but I've tried it and couldn't figure it out. Not sure why it didn't work.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 9:03 am 
Long time iPhone user (from 3GS to 8). I have used both the Topo Maps and Gaia apps. Gaia is the most popular, but has an annual cost. It is very full featured, often more than needed. Topo Maps is a one time cost with unlimited map downloads and is fine for basic location and distance to go needs. For older iPhones with more limited memory it might be the better bet. You can pick high or low res individual maps to download, and easily manage (delete) maps no longer being currently used. PeakFinder is a really cool non-map app for the PNW. I also use a Star/Plant map app as well. A tide chart app comes in handy as well depending on where you visit.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 1:28 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Long time iPhone user (from 3GS to 8). I have used both the Topo Maps and Gaia apps. Gaia is the most popular, but has an annual cost. It is very full featured, often more than needed. Topo Maps is a one time cost with unlimited map downloads and is fine for basic location and distance to go needs. For older iPhones with more limited memory it might be the better bet. You can pick high or low res individual maps to download, and easily manage (delete) maps no longer being currently used. PeakFinder is a really cool non-map app for the PNW. I also use a Star/Plant map app as well. A tide chart app comes in handy as well depending on where you visit.
Thanks for the info. I have now upgraded to Iphone 6 and it is worse than the iphone 5c! At least with the 5c, it would track with no cell signal using STRAVA. Now this iphone 6 does nothing most of the time while using STRAVA. I also tried ALLTRAILS new app and today it showed "are you going to start moving?" After about 1 hour of hiking. DUH! I will try those other apps. thanks!

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Jul 28, 2018 7:38 pm 
I've not tried terrain view for Strava, but for street view this works. Start Strava, go to record but don't "start" yet. Then make sure the map displays the area of interest. You might have to do this at home. Works great for walking around foreign cities anyway.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Jul 29, 2018 3:58 pm 
I don't know anything about iPhones, but have you made sure the GPS is enabled? It's possible to turn off in Android.

~Mom jeans on wheels