Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 3:28 pm 
A physician who I work with left on July 3rd for a day-hike but has not returned home to her family. She did not let anyone know where she was going but through some feature in the car it is known the car went 81 miles from her Seattle home on south Lake Washington. That is all. No GPS. She left her cell-phone at home. She was driving a Red Toyota RAV with the license plate of AOM1096. If you see the car at a trailhead or roadside please alert the police. Thank you for looking out. She was the type of hiker who would likely stay on trails. She did enjoy hiking in the Mount Rainier area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 3:39 pm 
81 miles would put her near Cle Elum. Almost exactly on Suncadia resort... If thats the way she went... Where does she usually like to hike?

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 3:41 pm 
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 4:10 pm 
Depending on where in Seattle the missing hiker lives, 81miles would also be feasible distances to the Longmire or Sunrise areas, the Monte Cristo area, or almost exactly to Stevens Pass. Bellingham and Darrington areas also.

monorail

monorail
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm 
It's about 81 miles from Seattle to the White River ranger station. The facebook post says she stopped a few times, and that the last travel segment was 38.5 miles--- exactly the distance from Enumclaw to the White River ranger station. I would look there, or call the ranger. (Probably this has already been done, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway). The same distances apply to the Crystal Mt resort-- 81 miles from Seattle, 38.5 from Enumclaw-- but I don't know if she would go there. Could she have rented lodging there?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 4:32 pm 
Snoquera Falls trailhead is near Crystal, isn't it?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm 
Also 38.6 miles from Startup to Stevens Pass. 81.6 miles from Seattle to Crystal Mt. The mileage makes the White River MRNP entrance area on 410 a good candidate. Yeah, a credit card gas purchase would narrow down the search area.

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 5:28 pm 
The tracker in her car uses cell phone signals, so presumably any travel occurring out of service won't be picked up until you're back in service. They pretty explicitly say that the car was turned off at 7:20pm, which implies that it was in range of a cell phone tower when it was last turned off. That would limit the spots it could be considerably. I think I90 is mostly within cell coverage (depends on carrier, obviously), but outside of Steven's Pass HWY2 is pretty dead from my experience. It's been a while since I've driven to Rainier, but I think that's pretty similarly out of range?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 5:38 pm 
Thanks to those who are exploring the distances involved. Her home is on south Lake Washington.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 6:10 pm 
Enumclaw Safeway with gas station to Corral Pass (Noble Knob Trailhead) is 37 miles. To Norse Peak Trailhead is 36.7 miles To Crystal Mountain Lot B is 38.5 miles. Crystal Mt. must have cell service.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 6:20 pm 
She was suffering from depression, didn't tell anyone where she was going, and left her cell phone behind. I truly hope I'm wrong in what I'm thinking. I hope she is found safe.

huron

huron
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 6:22 pm 
Leave at 2:20p, drive about 43 miles which would take till about 3-3:30p Stopped car at 7:20p after driving about 38 miles so drive would have started 6:10-6:40p That schedule sounds like a trip out I-90 followed by a 2.5 hour hike and a ride ALMOST back home.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 8:06 pm 
Yes, Crystal Mt. has cell service. The reason many skiers have the CM ski patrol number on speed dial. On the +90 miles of the Wonderland Trail, Summerland was the only place I had cell service, and the signal was full strength.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:07 pm 
Thank you all for your help with this occurrence that has ended tragically. The Facebook link above will be the conduit for any further information.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:19 pm 
Very sad. I hope she passed peacefully.