Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > total knee replacement surgery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:04 pm 
I'm scheduled for total knee arthoplasty (TKA) surgery next Tuesday, July 10. My surgeon assures me I'll be skiing next season. I'd appreciate hearing from TKA surgery survivors re recovery, recovery timing and post-surgery hiking. Pep talks welcome too smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 7:31 pm 
Have known people with knee and hip replacements who said it was a life-changing procedure with little complication. Not sure how long they last now but it used to be something like 10-15 years so the folks I knew who got them were told to go absolutely as long as possible grinding the original down. Get's taken out anyway. One on this forum might respond.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 pm 
The consensus now is 20+ years due to improved plastic material technology.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 pm 
Good luck and heal quickly!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 pm 
Thanks!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 pm 
hope it all goes well and recovery is quick, Steve. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 2:27 am 
Steve, I was a young candidate for bilateral hip replacements(50 yrs. old) and 11 years later no regrets at all. There are no restrictions but some activities like kicking a soccer ball and ass-to-grass deep squats did not come back 100%. There was a 3 week recovery with 1/2 day work allowed the last week if I remember right. The worst part of surgery was Foley catheter and anaesthetic induced constipation. A traveling, in home nurse removed the suture staples. My surgeon prescribed one/1 Oxycontin pre-surgery and Vicadin after which I barely used due to predisposition/fear of habit forming or worse. (There had been past issues with this kind of thing.) No PT was scheduled for hip replacements but I have heard it is critical for knees. The big, full scale X-ray of the prosthetic anchored into my femur and pelvis is pretty daunting when viewed on screen from an overhead projector! The surgeon's charting narrative is not fun to read and I only did it once but have both here at home since we have changed health care providers several times. Your clinic will give you little cards explaining to TSA and other metal detector operators why you lit up their machines like a Christmas tree. No one cares/believes the little cards and mine are lost. When you go to the dentist for teeth cleaning, you will probably have to pre-med with Amoxycilin to keep your own oral bacteria from landing on your new knees and causing infection. These pre-meds are very hard to remember and sometimes I lie about taking them. For my 1st hip the discharge nurse was the beautiful Ukrainian Olga and she was very gentle with the big suture bandage on my butt cheek. Under the effects of anaesthesia for the 2nd hip, I complained about the absence of Olga and those discharge nurses were not so gentle with the big bandage. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Good luck and if your knee were like my hips the decision is clear and easy. Tom

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 6:30 am 
Best of luck, Steve. My neighbor has both a knee and hip replacement. While he no longer hikes other than some mushrooming in the fall, I often see him bouncing around like a spry young lad working in his large garden. Are you having the procedure done on this side of the crest?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 9:24 am 
Thanks, ski and Rich Tom, thanks for the info. I'm not worried about getting hooked in opoids. I hate the side effects, have always had no problem getting off them ASAP. I hope I don't need them after the first couple days. Yeah, the doc said I'll be taking a mini-course of antibiotics before each future visit to the dentist.
RichP wrote:
Are you having the procedure done on this side of the crest?
Yes, Dr. Richard Roux in YakiVegas. He was highly recommended by all HC providers with whom I communicated. I've communicated with 10+ of his patients, all of whom praised him and were doing well with their TKAs.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 9:33 am 
Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. As you probably know knee replacement (and recovery) is more complex than hip replacement but I'm sure you'll have the mental / physical determination to make it a success.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 am 
Thx Tom

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 10:01 am 
My FIL had a knee replaced nearly 10 years ago in his 70s. In addition to the PT he drug out an exercise bike and started with rocking his leg back & forth for a minute or so as far as his range of motion would allow, then wandered back to the TV. He kept at it multiple times a day until he was able to get a full turn then just kept going. When he told the PT people about it... They kicked him out, lol. He trucked on with life from there. smile.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
he drug out an exercise bike and started with rocking his leg back & forth for a minute or so as far as his range of motion would allow
My PT recommends that, although for more than a minute a pop smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 pm 
You have obviously worn out your body Steve...remember the old saying, "Don't have too much fun"? You are finished and should give it up and begin your new hobby of couch potato and very frequent internet poster...O' and awesome advice giver.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jul 07, 2018 6:13 pm 
Best 'o luck Steve. I know you'll come through this and be back out skiing and hiking again in no time.