Forum Index > Food & Grub > frying trout in the high country.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 11:23 am 
So all you fisher -persons out there.... Type of pan ya use? fried in garlic butter? foil in the fire? cook far away from camp? bury the guts or back into the lake? I think I heard tom say he used a light non-stick cake pan. eat the skin? the brains? Eyes? Curios Gnomes want to know... can ya put it on a stick in front of the fire, like a salmon? Sauce/ lemon?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 11:37 am 
I butterfly mine on a stick over a fire when I am somewhere where fires are allowed. A little butter and lemon pepper and you're good to go.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 12:05 pm 
I hear the foil wrap is the way to go. However, since fires haven't been allowed I've been using a 6 ounce 12" aluminum cake pan and butter. Works great except the fish tend to fall apart if you're not careful. Heads go off when I clean the fish. BTW, another question, what is the responsible thing to do with fish heads and guts? On one trip there was a sign a the trailhead telling people not to throw them in the lake but that's what I've generally seen fisherman do.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 12:33 pm 
hmmm, I'm not sure about lakes but I know that if you are near a fast flowing stream , you are supposed to discard the remains into the fastest part of a flowing stream.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 12:50 pm 

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 12:52 pm 
Guess I would throw them in the lake ....deep part ....better then burying them to attract the varments. Tom do ya use the cake pan for frying hash-browns or other stuff? can you get a crispy skin to munch on ? pack them out? why.. won't they feed other fish.The reason I brought this up is I only had 1/2 a days food left after 6 days in the necklace valley,and it would be great to add to the food supply.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 12:57 pm 
Too risky to pack out the slimy stuff. hockeygrin.gif I do throw the bones and frying pan remains in a ziploc bag and pack them out though. forestgnome, I don't use the cake pan for anything else. With adequate butter the pan doesn't get too crispy. I bring a small metal scrubber to clean it.

Odonata

Odonata
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 1:13 pm 
Well, hopefully I wont get attacked by other anglers. I usually throw the innards into 3-5 ft of water. Hopefully the bugs will get em. If its too deep, I'm not sure they will degrade. A good way to cook without a camp fire or cookpan is to use a stick and tinfoil over a cookstove. Did it last week and it worked great with two fish. It looked like a tin hot dog on a stick. You just have to keep it cooked evenly. Also used butter and spices. I personally dont eat the heads....

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 1:32 pm 
Throw the guts back in the lake out where they can't be seen. They return nutrients to the lake that would otherwise be removed. I use a light cake pan for cooking fish. I bring oil in a little squeeze bottle and some spices and foil for a lid.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 1:47 pm 

salish

salish
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 1:47 pm 
I agree with throwing the innards back out into the lake. I've used foil a lot to fry fish on a fire or stove (or poach/steam) but my favorite way to fry mountain trout is to go all out and bring cracker crumbs or cornmeal, lemon pepper, salt, and roll the fish in the meal and fry them in butter or bacon grease in a small frying pan. I'm using a WWII GI mess kit fry pan for trout right now, but I may try the cake pan method next year.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Duncan

Duncan
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 2:05 pm 
Returning the guts etc to the lake puts nutrients back into the eco-system, just as naturally dying fish and other inhabitants of the lake do. Biologists have found that by returning dead, spawned salmon carcass's from hatcheries back into our rivers re-introduces nutrients and food back into the food chain that had been missing. It stands to reason that the same will occur in lakes as well. Fish guts will not hurt our lakes and streams at all, they are valuable to the food chain for insects and organisms.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 2:20 pm 
In the Canada the Parks instructions and Rangers always say toss them in the lake, It can cause a major problem when people bury then especially near camps. Nothing attracts bears better than fish guts. It may be better to pack them out if you leave a mess in shallow water near camp but, I bet they would disappear pretty fast even there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
foggy

foggy
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 3:55 pm 
I use the pan that comes with my little cookset. I've never fried any fish in the backcountry, I poach them in orange juice and throw some seasonings on them. Way less messy. No I don't eat the eyeballs gross. I throw it back in the lake.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Sep 16, 2003 4:11 pm 
Thanks tom, and Salish that is the awnser that I was kinda looking for! cornmeal....lemon.... butter....MMMMMM goood! agree.gif agree.gif