Forum Index > Trail Talk > Why do folks cut switchbacks?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 5:09 pm 
Why do people drive too fast for conditions? Why do people drive too fast on residential streets? Why do people text and drive? Why do people hunt out of season? Why do people illegally hunt from their vehicle? Why do people build fires where it's illegal? Why do people throw garbage/trash into backcountry pit toilets? The reason for all of these is that people make exceptions for themselves. People rationalize ignoring of rules, standards, and even laws because, well it's them and not someone else. It really is as simple as that. That's why people cut switchbacks. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 8:39 pm 
Because they don't really care how crappy it looks to have eroded extra trails, nor what that extra sediment does to streams below. Or they don't understand that these are the inevitable consequences.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am 
I notice that animals like to do this too. Lately I've been hiking in areas with lots of elk and they don't seem to like those long switchbacks either.

christensent

christensent
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:38 am 
In addition to making exceptions for oneself, there's also the question of motivation. I think that just comes down to the desire for a human brain to beat the system, to do better than others, to feel like you win. By cutting a switchback you get a little release of joy in feeling like you're smarter than the trail, you beat the trail, you're better than the trail, etc. This motivation is probably going to be subconscious but I think that's basically why people do things like this.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:42 pm 
RichP wrote:
I notice that animals like to do this too. Lately I've been hiking in areas with lots of elk and they don't seem to like those long switchbacks either.
I have noticed that bears rarely cut switchbacks. Last year I watched a female cougar and her three kittens travel all the way up a slope (about 300 elevation), never getting off the trail or cutting a switchback. It was a curious sight. I am not saying all animals are like that, and the cougar w/kittens may have been a unique situation. But I have watched several bears travel switchbacks. I was with a group a few years back and some of the group started cutting the switchbacks. I asked them not to do it. Their reply was that it was too long to follow the trail like that so they cut the switchbacks. I then suggested they get completely off the trail and bushwhack down the slope instead of cutting the switchbacks. They declined my suggestion and stopped cutting the switchbacks. I will also mention that almost all people that cut switchbacks do so going down the slope rather than when going up. I have seen a few do so going up but rarely. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 pm 
you know.... there's a way to prevent that sort of thing.... when you're clearing the brush out along the trail, if you pile it up deep enough between the switchbacks, and there's lots of stickerbushes mixed into it, people are more inclined to stay on the trail. wink.gif worked like a charm at Ruby Beach and Beach #3, anyway... lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
huron

huron
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 pm 
Then next spring when the ugly debris falls onto the trail below, the cut is the only path. The trail is cleared by throwing the debris off to the low side. More brush is harvested, or in the case of WTA, healthy living trees. Repeat season after season.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 pm 
errr... no... it remained where it was placed, believe it or not.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."