Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments & Leavenworth Economy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 5:33 pm 
"Enchantments" meaning Colchuck, Eight Mile, Stuart etc... and obviously, including the core zone. Colchuck this year, appears to be getting more attention ( socially ) than I've seen in the past. I'm just curious if business owners in Leavenworth embrace it, or, if they have mixed emotions about the area being loved to death. Also curious about the impact the Enchantments has on the economy in Leavenworth. Significant? or not so much?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 5:43 pm 
I always buy a burger there after my Enchantment trips, so it's good for at least $12 extra every couple of years

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:24 pm 
The hordes of hikers heading over there can't hurt the local economy, I would think business owners embrace it. It doesn't seem like there is an off season in L-worth anymore. Whether it's hiking/climbing/rafting/kayaking/x-country skiing etc. etc there's always something outdoor related happening. Plus non outdoorsy tourists by the busload (sometimes literally). Oktoberfest, Christmas Tree Lighting, westsiders looking to escape the doom and gloom of late winter/early spring, there's always people in the downtown area in the shops and restaurants. I suppose there is a love/hate relationship w/ tourists pretty much everywhere that depends on tourism $$$. Like their money, don't like the congestion and crowds.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:26 pm 
Sort of tangentially related, the 59er Diner by the Lake Wenatchee turnoff has been operating out of a food truck for a while now but recently broke ground on a new building, hopefully they'll be able to move in and have a full service restaurant again soon. I've hit that place many times post hike.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 pm 
Well the real estate agents have done well. We went over in the late spring for the first time in ~20 years and were sobered by the development up the canyon (particularly) and from Hwy 97 to Lvnwth. We mentioned it to the waitress where we stopped to eat at the end of the day, she grimaced and shrugged. That meal was at Gustav's for old time's sake. There's a lot more options now. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 pm 
I always check in at Icicle Creek Brewing after the Enchantments and often stay in a hotel overnight to mellow out.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 7:06 pm 
'Chants hikers are but a small sliver of 11worth retail commerce. The big spenders are car tourists from Puget Sound, VanBC, Portland, etc. and South King County drunks at Oktoberfest wink.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 pm 
The Leavenworth businesses are significantly dependent upon the tourism dollars left by visitors. I would agree with Steve's assessment above: the hikers' portion of the take is small potatoes - most of the money over there comes from out-of-area tourists.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 am 
I have heard it called, "Little Seattle", along with Wenatchee. The housing market is good if you are a seller, due to fleeing Seattleites and second homers. It used to be said, if you want to see the real Leavenworth, walk down the alley. I do not know if that still is true. It should be called, Dur Alley.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 am 
I have a small cabin that I built up on Mountain Home for 25 years, and have watched Leavenworth change over the years. Way back in the 90s, my wife and I explored options for opening a wine tasting room, which would have been the first! The permitting process was daunting even back then. Nowadays, it is hard to overestimate the influence of mountain biking on Leavenworth. It used to be a winter/summer place, and got really quiet in the shoulder seasons. Now, there is no break at all because the riders are there primarily in the shoulder seasons. Every year I stumble upon a new or newly converted mountain biking trail. Leavenworth is on the short list internationally for mountain biking, with rich tourists doing the Moab-to-Winthrop tour via Leavenworth and Bend, OR.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Nowadays, it is hard to overestimate the influence of mountain biking on Leavenworth.
Wenatchee too! A month ago I did a shuttle run with a friend from #2 Canyon to Horse Lake, and we ran into a bunch of Evergreen guys spiffing up the #2 parking area etc. I've met the guy who built Stairway to Heaven which we climbed up on... a LOVELY person who does brilliant work, and yes even on a weekday there were people on foot on it besides just us riding. The grade, views, drainage, etc. are fantastic for however you wanna enjoy it. Beyond tourism: trail projects close to town make a HUGE quality of life impact on locals. I'm especially encouraged by how many kids I'm seeing out doing random kid stuff in the woods outside Ros/Cle Elum during the week. Given that parents have to work so hard to keep up with the price of housing et al, I'm quite thankful for outdoor rec that is cheap and easily accessible. I don't care if the chillins are riding, walking, or just messing around with mud and sticks and pine cones all afternoon... it's all good. up.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
ScottP

ScottP
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 am 
It is likely that you will soon be able to take a mountain coaster ride, ride a zipline and climb on a via ferrata in the adventure park that is planned for the Osprey Rafting Company site. http://cityofleavenworth.com/city-government/development-services-department/leavenworth-adventure-park-conditional-park-application/

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 am 
I always eat and drink big in 'Worth! One time we went to three restaurants in a row!!!

RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am 
I would think the food and beverage industry benefits hugely. Who doesn't think about a beer and burger for about the last 1/2 of that hike?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Nowadays, it is hard to overestimate the influence of mountain biking on Leavenworth.
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Wenatchee too! A month ago I did a shuttle run with a friend from #2 Canyon to Horse Lake, and we ran into a bunch of Evergreen guys spiffing up the #2 parking area etc. I've met the guy who built Stairway to Heaven which we climbed up on... a LOVELY person who does brilliant work, and yes even on a weekday there were people on foot on it besides just us riding. The grade, views, drainage, etc. are fantastic for however you wanna enjoy it.
Don't suppose either of you could recommend some trails to try out in the area? I have a road background.