Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments & Leavenworth Economy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Forks not so much, nothing there really jumps out at me.
I usually try and find time to grab a bite at the Hungry Bear. More for nostalgia and support than fine dinning. But a stack of their pancakes lasts me the weekend.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 am 
Today there is an op ed piece in the Wenatchee World about how Leavenworth may be getting to big and losing its charm.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:26 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
losing its charm
It's been charmless for at least five or six years at this point, and I don't even mind crowds.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:42 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Today there is an op ed piece in the Wenatchee World about how Leavenworth may be getting to big and losing its charm.
Losing it's charm? To who? It's transitioning The wussification of Leavenworth http://paleomg.com/the-magical-mountains-of-leavenworth-wa/

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:58 pm 
I guess Dur Junkyard must be gone? I'll have to venture to dur Bavarian willage and see how long until I start screaming and go mad. Seriously, I believe the article was written by a group called Friends (of course!) of Leavenworth and they don't want three new developments built. One is a kind of zip line amusement park where they fear the screaming hordes of barbarians might be heard outside the park. They also fear more traffic. I wonder if they fear......gluten.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 5:13 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
To who?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 7:17 pm 
I wonder how they managed to get shots of empty streets?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I wonder if they fear......gluten.
Coming soon, gluten free wiener schnitzel! I find the complaint that the tourist trap has gotten too touristy to be most entertaining.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 19, 2018 10:45 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
To who?
Sumbuddy get'n cabin feefur Playing Grahmor Puhlease? Boy, I shure hope that nee heels up kwick

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 am 
Starts at about 36 minutes in. https://www.ncwlife.com/wake-up-wenatchee-valley-july-23-2018/

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 11:15 am 
11worth has been a tourist trap for as long as I can remember. Sane climbers just buzzed through back in the day 100 hikes books called it ersatz Bavarian. It was a place to take relatives ho had never been to Europe and couldn稚 tell the difference. I start going nutz if I even have to buy gas there, no place to park either.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 12:10 pm 
treeswarper - Interesting video you've cited with the discussion about Leavenworth. Carnival rides! More condos! More high-end 200-unit apartment buildings with inadequate parking! All they need now are pony rides! (To be fair, The City of Leavenworth has found the application to be incomplete for the proposed "Adventure Park" at the intersection of Hwy 2 and Icicle Road.) It would appear that beautiful downtown Leavenworth is experiencing some growing pains. The primary reason I stopped going down to the Pike Place Market and shopping along the Alaskan Way waterfront (when I lived at Alki) was because of the parking situation - it just made the experience no fun. It may well turn out that Leavenworth could very well start losing some of its appeal if they cannot figure out a way to mitigate the parking situation by curtailing growth.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 23, 2018 2:44 pm 
Such tribulations are part of the curse of living in a touristy area. I've lived in a couple. In summer, on the Oregon Coast, I'd plan my shopping so all left turns were done at intersections with traffic lights and left turn lanes. In Wisconsin, one stayed home during the Apple Festival as there were no traffic lights to help make turns. That's why you begin to like winter where tourism is seasonal, but sounds like Leavenworth has it year round. We complained at Randle when the volcano traffic was heavy. Sometimes traffic was backed up to the Cowlitz River bridge on a busy weekend or holiday. Then we also have the Packwood Flea Market highway 12 parking lot. It's all from being successful.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 3:22 pm 
A broad report on Overtourism was recently put out by the Friends of Leavenworth, the group cited in Ski's link and treeswarper's video link. You can view it here: Overtourism Some interesting statistics on the sheer numbers of tourists vs. residents. eek.gif I've lived here for 24 years and watched the growth/changes, but that is not unique to Leavenworth. The town has provided employment to my wife and now 3 grown kids in retail, restaurants, catering and outdoor guide services over the years, so I can't reasonably complain about tourism in general. While I teach in Cashmere, I annually work at Oktoberfest and AleFest to gain some dedicated funds for my ski addiction. dizzy.gif And yes, there has been huge growth in the "beverage" sector. The highly successful flagship, Icicle Brewery just broke ground on a new brewery on Chumstick. Rhein Haus, has opened a Leavenworth location. (We just went there - beautlful building with good selection of beer and schnitzel.) The Loft, Stein, Blewett Brewery, and Bushel and Bee Taproom are just a few of the newer businesses as well as wine tasting rooms that seem to open like balsam root. After 9/11, when airlines saw a downturn, Leavenworth saw an increase. Even in bad economic times, Leavenworth becomes the cheaper alternative to a more exotic vacation destination. Traffic is bad in Seattle, Bend, Lincoln City, Wenatchee, and here as well on festival and holiday weekends. I appreciate that Friends of Leavenworth is shining light on development and traffic issues. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Sep 03, 2018 4:25 pm 
^ Excellent find. Thank you.
Friends of Leavenworth wrote:
Leavenworth Tourism has reached a point where both residents and tourists are rapidly becoming dissatisfied with the experience.
And that is the point at which (a) the destination becomes not as desirable to prospective customers and (b) provides the impetus for an exodus by local residents. From that document, it sounds like the city government of Leavenworth is a bit out of touch with the local residents, which seems a little bizarre considering how small the population is. On the bright side, Leavenworth's over-saturation creates an opportunity for less crowded communities to increase their market share of the tourism dollars by creating and developing more appealing alternatives.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."