Forum Index > Trail Talk > 'We can't bring everyone home'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am 
From the article: "Not finding someone can be as bad as recovering a body for first responders, Newman emphasized. "We've had a number of those fairly big, weeklong searches for people that we've not been able to locate the subject and that too has significant impact on individuals … 'mission failure,' as they think of it," he said. "Really, they are doing their job and unfortunately we can't bring everybody home."" This was posted on FB by a friend involved in SAR. It is short but thought provoking. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 pm 
I was surprised that "the majority of calls end well". I was always under the impression that recovery was more common than rescue. I guess if you count all the false alarms etc. Seems irresponsible to commit suicide in the wilderness given the impact on SAR. (Among other reasons.) When they're out looking for you they can't look for someone else who might still have time remaining. I can only hope that some of those who go out with that intent become overwhelmed with the beauty of nature and life, and change their minds.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 pm 
neek wrote:
Seems irresponsible to commit suicide in the wilderness given the impact on SAR. (Among other reasons.)
Someone who is in enough despair that they want to end their life is not going to think rationally.

neek

neek
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm 
Note - my response may be disturbing to some; please skip if you're concerned.
fourteen410 wrote:
Someone who is in enough despair that they want to end their life is not going to think rationally.
This is often true, but not always. Search for "rational suicide" if you dare. You are making the assumption that it is always better to be alive than not alive. That's natural; a primal urge to keep on living in the face of suffering has evolutionary advantages. But terminal illness, extreme chronic pain, untreatable severe mental disorders...these can all lead a rational person to conclude that it'd be best for themselves and for humanity to step aside and make room for others. Typically it's the impact on loved ones that holds them back. But back to the point in the article about the increase in wilderness suicides. I've always thought that would be a good way to go, should I ever choose to end things. (Haven't ever seriously considered it fwiw.) But now I'm reconsidering. (It's important to have contingency plans in place.) Shooting yourself in the head is quick, painless, and cheap, but unpleasant to clean up after. Helium is starting to sound like a decent option. Personally - I think calling a suicidal person "crazy" or "irrational" is extremely disrespectful and likely to backfire, even though it may be true.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm 
neek wrote:
This is often true, but not always. Search for "rational suicide" if you dare. You are making the assumption that it is always better to be alive than not alive.
Right, but hopefully someone ending their life using a cool head and not from mental illness will take steps to avoid causing unnecessary trouble for others. A friend of mine did this after their fourth recurrance of ovarian cancer. This was prior to WA's death with dignity act. She ended her life by doing a complete fast (no water, no food) took over three weeks, so everyone had a chance to say goodbye. She was a tough woman who always lived on her own terms and she died on her own terms as well. Her husband took it really hard as he wanted her to keep fighting.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm 
^ sometimes it doesn't feel like it's worth fighting anymore, Randy. not giving a damn whether you live or die is a weird place to find your head in.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."