Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sheriff at Mailbox TH
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:38 pm 
I drove by Sunday around 10:30am and saw a Deputy parked there and he was standing outside his vehicle. I guess they must have real problems with people parking in the bus lane or something? Hiking has changed so much in the last few years...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:40 pm 
Yep. Drastic increase in hiker population and continuing loss of trails and access will do that.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 02, 2018 2:57 pm 
Seems like a good way to discourage break ins.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 7:09 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Sounds good to me. A little original topic diversion here: the various ongoing discussion(s) of vehicle breakins at trailheads seem to favor the perpetrators as there just isn't enough LEO presence to keep after the little bastards. However, Game Wardens seem to have the resources to stake out locations of suspected illegal activity, so I would think that Sheriff depts should as well. It seems to me that all these access fees should cover this as well as (or maybe partially in lieu of) the amenities at trailheads. That's what I think.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
huron

huron
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 12:44 pm 
Moonspots you going to allocate some North Dakota resources for that?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 1:10 pm 
Huron wrote:
Moonspots you going to allocate some North Dakota resources for that?
lol.gif Probably not, we need to keep a good eye on all our ducks, geese and pheasants.

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 3:28 pm 
I don't know if any of you out here in NWH land recall that when the FS first promoted trail head fees. Part of the appeal was that there would be more TH security: Never happened. I'd hate to think that all this tweaker activity will keep us away from our fun. Sad. Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Exmoor

Exmoor
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm 
moonspots wrote:
However, Game Wardens seem to have the resources to stake out locations of suspected illegal activity, so I would think that Sheriff depts should as well.
What are you basing this opinion on? With all due respect to WDFW, they are spread very thin. I see enforcement at major choke points in season (pheasant release sites, boat launches), but that's about it.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 9:45 pm 
Exmoor wrote:
moonspots wrote:
However, Game Wardens seem to have the resources to stake out locations of suspected illegal activity, so I would think that Sheriff depts should as well.
What are you basing this opinion on? With all due respect to WDFW, they are spread very thin. I see enforcement at major choke points in season (pheasant release sites, boat launches), but that's about it.
Observation and conversations with other hunters/fishermen here in ND and a book I've started reading written by a (retired) Game Warden in Minnesota. I can't say this is the same as in WA, but I was assuming it would be the same/similar. Apparently not?

huron

huron
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 pm 
Yeah, my at the time 6 year old son asked me where gold came from. I took he and his friend to the sporting goods store, bought them both a ten inch black plastic plate and let them rinse some sand under the Fall City bridge. A game officer popped out from behind the reeds weapon in hand and threatened to take us all away and fine me $2,500 for illegal mining. Wonder how long he was back there in the reeds. lol.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 pm 
Huron wrote:
A game officer popped out from behind the reeds weapon in hand and threatened to take us all away and fine me $2,500 for illegal mining. Wonder how long he was back there in the reeds. lol.gif
Was his name "Deputy Fife"? 😆

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:43 pm 
moonspots wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Sounds good to me. A little original topic diversion here: the various ongoing discussion(s) of vehicle breakins at trailheads seem to favor the perpetrators as there just isn't enough LEO presence to keep after the little bastards. However, Game Wardens seem to have the resources to stake out locations of suspected illegal activity, so I would think that Sheriff depts should as well. It seems to me that all these access fees should cover this as well as (or maybe partially in lieu of) the amenities at trailheads. That's what I think.
As much as I wish this was possible due to many factors, being undermanned, budget, and area of responsibility to name a few do you honestly believe that a sheriff's department can have it's deputies just sit at trailheads all day? Some counties probably run only a few deputies at a time for the whole county.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.