Forum Index > Trail Talk > Friend suggested Yogis PCT book for section hike, needed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 4:31 pm 
Backpacking with a friend and his gf a week ago, suggested I pick up a issue of Yogis handbook for 2019 PCT section hike thru Washington, do I need it to get up to speed? Never hiked in the state, would be bagging another state out west. Another good source instead? Mostly wanting to get info for mailing stuff, usual things not familiar with in new country. Duane

So many stoves, so little time.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 5:17 pm 
It's a good source of information, in my opinion. It is not necessary, but pretty dang helpful. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
neek

neek
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 6:41 pm 
I picked up both books in 2008 but never used them because the kid happened. If you're just doing WA, you'll only use 17% of the Trail Tips book. If you're new to through hiking, the Planning Guide has some good advice. It all seems pretty obvious to me now but didn't 10 years ago. Halfmile's PCT maps are free and probably all I would take along if I were to do WA. But I live here.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 am 
Part of not spending a lot of unnecessary money in towns is knowing what’s there. Yogi does a really good job of detailing all the services, and giving you an idea what they cost. Probably will pay for itself, and you won’t have to do the research. Just a heads up at Snoqualmie do not send your resupply to the Chevron station. It’s an old broken walk in freezer in back that anyone in the store has access to. One of my packages 2016 was stolden, and saw lots of packages that had been ripped open to see what was inside. Pay the $10 and have it sent to Summit Inn.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 5:24 am 
Thank you for the info, my friend is doing most of the research, but I think he would like me to be onboard too. Headed out for Mammoth Lakes here in Kalifornia for six nights with Repo. Snow over one pass I see. Duane

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 am 
neek wrote:
Halfmile's PCT maps are free and probably all I would take along if I were to do WA. But I live here.
I agree with only really needing Halfmile's free (and accurate) maps together with his app.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm 
Had a tough 5 night trip in the Ansel Adams here in Kalifornia, reversing a route I did maybe 10 years ago. Don't think I can nor want to go out for a month after the trip. Wore out every day, losing the trail a few times the third day in areas past fires had burned over, faint trail ending at their edge, the pup and I weaving thru White thorn. Most days were 8 to 10 miles long, the second day scrambling down from a pass, crossing a creek a few times, falling in the water, cliffy descent, no trail. Thank you again for the info. Duane

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 pm 
Uh I have been there 3 times in the last 5 years dozens of times before that no real problems. Are you gaslighting us by any chance🙄

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 pm 
Not a troll, would be less so than you if you read my remarks correctly, nothing controversial. I know a few here should remember me from Backpacker. Never bped in the NW except in MT. I was doing a loop few use. Silver Lake TH, 1000 Island Lake, Catherine Lake, Hemlock Crossing, Naked Lady Meadow, Cargyle Meadow, past the turnoff to Fern Lake, Agnew Meadow, out by the Clark Lakes. Don't seem to be able to post a few pics, I only came here asking for info, not to post a trip report from Kalifornia. Duane