Hesman
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 pm 
You should have got his/her name and reported it. I would still report it and give the time so they can figure out for themselves who was the overzealous volunteer. I have used my America the Beautiful Pass there several times without any issue. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm 
Are you sure he was official and not just trying to hustle some money from you?

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 pm 
Sounds like you had an encounter with an ignoramus

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 pm 
I don't know the details on the "America the Beautiful" pass. My "Golden Access Passport" allows me free entry into all USFS, BLM, NPS, USFWS, Bureau of Reclamation, Army Corps of Engineers, and Tennessee Valley Authority administered sites. I have yet to have anybody question it when I've presented it at an entrance gate. IF anyone was to give me any hassle about it, they would in short order be called in by their immediate supervisor or somebody up the chain of command. Sounds to me like you found yourself a real knucklehead who doesn't quite understand the rules. I would suggest making a phone call in the morning. Just my two cents.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm 
Dungeness spit is an odd place the entrance is through a county park that has already built a reputation as being very officious about alcohol number of cars parked and trails. The ATB Pass should clearly allow you to access the spit but officials do not always follow the law at least you did not get shot or busted.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:01 pm 
Your pass gets you into any place with the word "national" in its name. That volunteer was either 1. a nitwit or 2. impersonating an official volunteer by wearing that vest.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:04 pm 
We have had issues with Mt. Hood National Forest concessionaires not accepting the Federal passes. It seems that the FS is at fault for not specifying the passes in their concession contracts. I had some spirited correspondence with the MHNF supervisor's office several years ago. I don't know if it got resolved, but the words "You could be subject to legal action for not accepting this pass" seem to work for me. I might note that for those of us with the Golden Age/Senior Pass is that proof of age is required when you present the pass, at least at National Parks. I just dig out my drivers license along with the pass at every entrance station. It's wonderful for traveling with family--having the pass lets four of us in free! I've had no problem at Nisqually NWR (or whatever it's called now); the instructions at the pay station just say to carry the pass with you. I've never been asked for it. I have found Nisqually a wonderful place to take a break on the way home from Seattle, to recover from PTSD after Seattle andTacoma traffic (it's also a convenient restroom stop). A half-hour stroll accompanied by bird song is so healing!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm 
earlier this year, I was hassled (I felt hassled because he was telling how long it will take me to get to the lighthouse and back, and maybe I might not make it back on time) by a volunteer about getting back to the entrance in time. he said that if I didn't return when the refuge closes, I would be arrested for trespassing. wonder if it's the same volunteer. the volunteer hassling you to pay should be on some list that shows who's is manning the entrance and lighthouse. his name should be known to some volunteer supervisor. there is a photo of all the valid passes under the pavilion at the entrance station. next time, take the volunteer and show it to him/her. I usually just walk up to the kiosk, fill the little blue envelope, put it in the 'box', and off I go. I avoid talking to the volunteers. I just walk away when they try to give me a spiel or whatever. ha

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm 
Mr. Hesman: If you are unable to get any satisfaction by calling locally, Dungeness Spit is located in the 6th Congressional District. Hon. Congressman Derek Kilmer's office can be reached by calling 202 224 3121 While that may sound a bit over the top, bear in mind dialing that number got me my goddam two dollars back from the US Postal Service. Never believe them when they tell you that you can't fight City Hall.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 pm 
Says right on their own website that the pass is accepted https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Dungeness/visit/permits.html

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 am 
Maybe someone’s found an alternative to breaking into TH cars. Cash, no sliced tires. 💵

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 am 
RumiDude wrote:
You should have got his/her name and reported it. I would still report it and give the time so they can figure out for themselves who was the overzealous volunteer.
Absolutely report the incident! Date, and time of day should suffice. I'd even contact a senator/representative's office as well, there is no excuse for such behavior.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am 
I've always found the Penninsula, at least the northern part, to be full of the least friendly and accommodating people in the state. Shelton area? Lovely folks. Sequim to Forks inclusive of National Park staff? Laaaaame. I have had so many rude and unwelcoming interactions that they have had what I assume is the desired effect. I never go there unless I can't avoid it. Once had a ranger up on high divide tell me I should "stay in Seattle, you've got plenty of trails over there." Okay jerk, done. When I want a long drive to beautiful places Grant, Okanagan, and Chelan counties can have my money.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 am 
cambajamba wrote:
Once had a ranger up on high divide
I've hiked the High Divide many times and have never even once had anything but pleasant interactions with the rangers. Even when it took me a few minutes to locate my permit which was supposed to be attached to my pack but was still attached to my tent inside my pack. I look to them as helping to keep the scammers and campspot poachers from ruining my trip. I like to converse with them. Ask questions about bears and what not. I practice low impact camping, carry out more than I came with and always know where I'm going up there. I really like the level of control placed on that area, my first trip was just after the quota got instituted and the place was thrashed, now it is green again. Even on the maddeninly crowded WIC the rangers were always friendly and helpful. I'm good with them overstating the need to be good citizens in the backcountry. It is obviously necessary.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

reststep