Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bad "box' store experience
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 4:10 pm 
I went to L**** to look at carpet for my home and found some. Paid for the measuring of my home. Guy said they'd call in 2 days to set up appointment. Whole week went by...no call. Called the store and got transferred to a woman who took my number and said they'd return my call in 15 minutes. 4 hours later, no call. Called again to be met with automated message. Went to the store, explained and asked for a refund of my measurement fee. After bitching about the contractor they used, they grudgingly returned my $. 4 hours later I get a call from the contractor asking when I wanted my home measured. rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif Any of y'all have similar experiences? Who should I use to buy carpet and linoleum for my home? (North Seattle area) rant.gif rant.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 pm 
Abbey carpet & floor 425 259 6088 26o1 Colby Ave Everett They laid marmolium? In the kitchen. Looks great. Walked the talk.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostFri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 pm 
Bob, for every big-box home improvement store, there are a thousand people who can tell you horror stories all day long, and another thousand who can do the same tomorrow, and another thousand the day after that. Doesn't matter if it's Lowes or Home Depot or Menards - I've spent a LOT of time on another discussion forum site where the focus is home improvement and every one of those mass-merchandisers has the same set of problems. The laminate flooring here came from an independent retailer off 512 between Parkland and Puyallup - Gary Johnson Floor Covering. Probably too far away for you. Another contractor did the installation. My sister just ordered "marmoleum" for a remodel job she's doing on her house. I'm going to assume it must be great stuff because she is picky as hell and wants only stuff that's going to last forever. (I asked her is she really thought she was going to live another 40 years and she answered with an emphatic yes.) Best of luck in your search. Fixing house is never easy and entails a lot of headaches. This one has never been quite the same after they ripped it all apart a few years ago after some water damage. There's a reason I stick to yard work and landscaping - way less headache - not so much trauma drama.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 5:41 am 
Ski wrote:
There's a reason I stick to yard work and landscaping - way less headache - not so much trauma drama.
Dunno about that after having made many trips to the irrigation store getting an antiquated sprinkler system going. Lucky for me, the business people were very helpful and I have a friend who came over and helped. It wasn't a bad experience with a business, just a headache running back and forth for parts. Oh, but it was a local store that's been in the area quite a long time, not THE box store. I still drag out the hose and sprinkler to keep the trees happy.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 am 
^ I do NOT work on underground sprinkler systems. You couldn't pay me enough.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 pm 
funny coincidence. I am going through L***** hell right now. Compounded by now living in a fairly isolated area, where all the skilled workers are slapping up ridiculous numbers of new construction developments and nobody wants to work on one-offs for individuals. Waiting for shower door assembly that was supposed to arrive a week ago, now having to cancel on an installation person that we were lucky to line up. I used to do this kind of stuff myself, but the glass is too heavy and requires some precision metal cutting that I am not tooled up for. The L store can't even tell me when they might arrive. Especially sad that this all started with a small hidden leak from bad installation of the original cheap shower doors in our new house. Finding mushrooms growing in a bathroom is never a good sign. I would have dealt with the tiny repair but my wife freaked and called in the Big Guns. That is when it all went south. A water damage company that was recommended by our insurance agent, after she informed us insurance doesn't cover bad construction. The demo went much deeper than it should have and left things unrepairable without further tear down. Then we discovered further problems with the original installation that would never have met code anywhere but out here in the sticks of Oregon. We booted out the water repair company and are trying another recommended repair guy, who is now ripping out and replacing the entire tiled shower stall to avoid long term issues. (which I can see will be a problem after the botched demo). But its not just the big box store. Tile didn't come in as scheduled from the specialty store. And I have marginal faith in the hired guy being able to install the shower door system. And by the way, you will never get any construction workers to work past noon on Friday. Still NO idea when we will actually get product from L. When I went in to order it in person I could not get helped AT ALL. It took 45 minutes to get help with a large crew wandering around in the store and several pages for help. I finally started messing with their computers and finally someone came over and put the order in, which took several attempts. All the construction guys i talked to recommended going to L instead of the local "specialty stores". That is not a good sign.

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 7:13 am 
Boot Up, that's cuz you are living in an area where people moved to because of the recreation. Work is secondary. Good luck.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Boot Up, that's cuz you are living in an area where people moved to because of the recreation. Work is secondary. Good luck.
Friday afternoon is very busy at any place that is used for recreation. We call things like that "the Bend Tax". Also packages and mail take at least a couple extra days to get here. Amazon Prime means delivered in a week or two.

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 am 
I am well versed in living in remotish areas. I would never think of Bend as remote. Go live on the lower Kamath Or CA Salmon River areas and Bend will seem like a major city. Overnight does not exist in many places. Having lived in the third world of CA mentioned above, even Randle seemed quite civilized. Omak/Okanogan are great so far. My small gripe is that there is no ski shop here in the valley anymore. Oh, and the recycling is not at par with East Lewis County, but the distance from I-5 might be part of the reason for that. There is no Lowe's here. There is the other large store which let fire refugees actually stay there during the bad fires of a couple years ago. The library lacks the enthusiasm and noise of the small Randle one but one can never find utopia-- well maybe if one has a lot of money they can. Meanwhile I am impressed with the helpfulness of the irrigation supply people. I was expecting something different. I also purchased appliances from a small business because of their service. They have local repair people. The box stores send people from Spokane here. That can take a while.