Forum Index > Partners > White Clouds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 am 
Next year I will be headed to the White Cloud Wilderness in Idaho. That is if there aren't any fires. We will be RIDING in on horses with our gear and hiking out ourselves. Reservations have already been made for 2 rooms in Challis and the horse packers are going to get back with me as soon as they get back from a 10 day trip. The dates we will be leaving are on Friday July 20 and returning on Sunday July 29th. Only 4 people can go as any more requires a second Wrangler and adds to the cost. I will let everyone know the total cost when I hear back from the Outfitters. Also I have reserved a nice cabin for on our way home to relax in before our 10 hour drive home. I will be 60 next year, and want to make this a trip to remember!!!! FOLLOW UP: The Outfitter is in the middle of dealing with people wanting to see the Eclipse as well as drop camps. They are being very helpful and will get back to me in about a week. Motel rooms for July 20 have already been made.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostFri Sep 08, 2017 1:09 pm 
WOW With all the fires burning everywhere, next year might be a bust. It's a no big deal and nothing to compare to what people are going thru right now. I hope that we get some rain and the poor people can get relief!

General ****

General ****
PostSun Oct 15, 2017 9:50 am 
I'm in, going to the White Clouds in 2018

The General primarily backpacks solo.
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am 
That's great!! dance.gif Waterman is also a go. So we be 3 so far. Only 1 more spot is available. Any more than 4 riders pushes the cost up a lot because we have to add another riding horse + another pack horse and maybe another Wrangler. Other people are welcome to go, but they will have to hike the 7.5 Miles to Walker lake. It is high season for them in Idaho, so they are very busy. They will get back to me after all their hunts are over with the cost. As soon as I find out, I will post the amount I will need from each for the deposit.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 2:13 pm 
Got prices for the White Cloud trip from the outfitter. 4 riders require 2 Wranglers, And unless we keep our pack weight to 35 Lbs. each, we will need 3 pack horses. And as you know My pack weight hasn't been that light in years. lol.gif ESP. if I am not carrying it in! So that is 4 riding Horses. 3 Pack Horses and 2 Wranglers. Total cost with tax for the one way drop off will be about $1.178.00. Or about $300.00 per person. They require 1/2 down to Reserve the date so about $150.00 Ea. If less go, say only 2 riders then it will less than half of the totals given due to less tax charged. Let me know ASAP if this sounds good to you. They are all ready booking July trips. I am going. Even if it just me. 60 years old only comes once!!

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm 
I'm in. Have July 11-31 off. Maybe a few more days at either end depending on summer work schedule. May squeeze in a trip in the sawtooths before we meet up. Or trip closer to home depending on local conditions. With a horse to carry the load I'm going to be heavy with a case of beer and fresh fruit. Since it's a milestone birthday I'll bring you a single malt if you drink. PM your address to send check.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
General ****

General ****
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 4:44 pm 
Waterman...... glad to hear you're going. I'm in, and looking forward to this year's trip to the white clouds. It will be nice hooking back up with you guys in 2018. Bill give me a call when you get a chance, I will mail you a check whenever you want it.

The General primarily backpacks solo.
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:07 am 
Welcome aboard!! 1 spot left if you want to ride in in comport!! Instead of hiking in 8 miles. smile.gif

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:04 am 
Also. Question. Will we all be going home the same way together? General is riding with me. Gnomee was maybe going to drive his restored Montero and Waterman was coming in alone. I need to figure out Lodging for us if we all are or aren't. I will be headed back going North thru Salmon on Hwy. 93 to Missoula. Then I-90 all the rest of the way. The same way I am coming in.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 7:49 pm 
a ways off but we'll figure out the road trip home reservations ...waterman is sending deposit today....

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:57 am 
Booked a room in Salmon for on the way back on the 28th. Don't like to wait. Check in, clean up. Then it's off to Savage Bar & Grill for a 1 Pound Burger!!!! Going to go in Via 410 to Yakima and then thru Boise and come back on I-90. Make the trip a loop.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm 
We were in the White Clouds this summer (as well as several other ranges around Ketchum/Stanley) for our 60th birthdays as well! A magnificent place to celebrate! Looking forward to your report and pics!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 1:32 pm 
looks like 4 of us are going for the trrriiippppp....

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm 
Out of state fishing licenses are either $98.00 a year or $15.00 for the first day and $7.00 a day after that. So figure how many days you want to fish and do the Math.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 2:08 pm 
Decided with the General that I want to get to Challis a day earlier so we will be at the Pioneer Motel for Friday and Saturday nights. We still are going in on Sunday. If you guys want to do the same, call and reserve your room for Friday also. Otherwise we will see you on Saturday. up.gif