Forum Index > Trail Talk > Three "hikers" die in fall at Shannon Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 6:08 pm 
Shannon Falls is the large waterfall south of Squamish Chief; there are several rockclimbing routes adjacent to the falls. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bodies-of-3-hikers-recovered-from-b-c-s-shannon-falls-1.4733163

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 am 
Egads....RIP

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm 
So this was one of the guys who got caught going off the boardwalks in Yellowstone to film his social media content a while back. Something tells me he didn't quite learn from that experience what he maybe should have.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 3:01 pm 
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 9:48 am 
For those interested in the Yellowstone context: https://goo.gl/Pyksnc

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:03 am 
cambajamba wrote:
For those interested in the Yellowstone context: https://goo.gl/Pyksnc
But it was one heck of a selfie.....if the phone had survived.

friluftsliv
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 am 
Schenk wrote:
Egads....RIP
+1 Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 am 
Those unaware of the issue with their national park tour in 2016 should really look into it. They did not simply use a drone somewhere they shouldn't have, they walked all over Grand Prismatic like it was a city park, stepping up to the edge and causing damage that will take decades to repair itself. They undertook similarly misguided actions at a NP down south too and were caught and prosecuted due to their actions. We actually kicked their behinds out of the country for repeatedly, joyously, and publicly disrespecting our federally protected lands and resources. They traded in the currency of leveraging privilege into popularity and monetary gain (they sold merch) all the while exploiting natural spaces to the detriment of others. There are those on this forum who feel the worthless arsonists that burned down the Gorge last year should be given a light sentence because kids will be kids. The Sundayz Fundayz group were adults, knew what they were doing, and felt entitled to do so without reflection on how their actions would impact others. They were unremorseful and deflected responsibility by trying to victim blame the actual hot spring. "It was so beautiful, we simply had to" is a defense I bet A LOT of judges have heard over the years, just typically not about inanimate landscape features. These were not enlightened vloggers spreading the good word of living life to the fullest. They were con artists, users, and abusers who were proud of their body of work. We gave them a slap on the wrist - nature gave them what they deserved.

neek

neek
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:22 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
We gave them a slap on the wrist - nature gave them what they deserved.
I hereby give you permission to dance on my grave after I'm dead, if it really gives you that much pleasure to celebrate the death and suffering of others.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm 
Exit For what we owe to other days, Before we poisoned him with praise, May we who shrank to find him weak Remember that he cannot speak. For envy that we may recall, And for our faith before the fall, May we who are alive be slow To tell what we shall never know. For penance he would not confess, And for the fateful emptiness Of early triumph undermined, May we now venture to be kind. - Edwin Arlington Robinson ==
cambajamba wrote:
These were not enlightened vloggers spreading the good word of living life to the fullest. They were con artists, users, and abusers who were proud of their body of work. We gave them a slap on the wrist - nature gave them what they deserved.
Not so sure about the "deserved" part, but then I think of that line from "Unforgiven" where Clint Eastwood's character William Munny tells the kid "We all have it coming, kid" For reasons which probably don't need explanation on this forum, I question the value to society of the "vloggers" like this group and Logan Paul who have discovered they can monetize their "extreme" activities with advertising revenues from YouTube or by using their "vlogs" to peddle their merchandise to admiring fans, all at the expense of the environments in which they cavort and raise havoc, and other tourists whose experiences are compromised by their antics. Not all of this is done for monetary gain; most of this "look at me!" stuff on social media is solely for the purpose of self-promotion. (i.e., Casey L. Nocket) We are again bringing up the subject of "detrimental impacts of social media", for which nobody seems to have yet conjured up some "solution". If enough people die, and criminal penalties are severe enough, will this sort of thing stop? In spite of already having paid fines of $3,000.00, one guy decided that ONE trip over Niagara Falls wasn't enough. (Needless to say, he will not be making a third attempt.) huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm 
neek wrote:
give you permission to dance on my grave after I'm dead
If you're as much of a law breaking, selfish, and unrepentant person as these men were, I won't need your permission at all.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 pm 
Personally, I'll save my sympathy and empathy for those who deserve it - the rescuers.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
Those unaware of the issue with their national park tour in 2016
I think most are aware. Regardless, it's best to save our outrage for the truly monstrous actions by people in this world. Nothing these three did come even close to that category.
Ski wrote:
Not so sure about the "deserved" part, but then I think of that line from "Unforgiven" where Clint Eastwood's character William Munny tells the kid "We all have it coming, kid"
+1 Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Nothing these three did come even close to that category.
I feel like we should hold each other to a tighter code of ethics than "no worries till we get to truly monstrous." I don't feel like that bar is too high.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:32 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Nothing these three did come even close to that category.
I feel like we should hold each other to a tighter code of ethics than "no worries till we get to truly monstrous." I don't feel like that bar is too high.
This is what I wrote: "Regardless, it's best to save our outrage for the truly monstrous actions by people in this world. Nothing these three did come even close to that category." My statement did not imply that "no worries till we get to truly monstrous." What my statement means is that all this outrage with it's desire for death of these three is kinda over-the-top and misplaced. Save that sort of outrage for the truly monstrous acts like mass murder and such. That's why we have the Eighth Amendment to the US Constitution. To be sure I don't approve of what these people often did and encouraged others to do. I don't think they got what they deserved. I don't wish their other friends a similar fate. Rumi