Forum Index > Trail Talk > Section hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Misfits

Misfits
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 pm 
Hello all, For my vacation in mid August I am contemplating either a PCT section in mid to Northern Washington, or the Wonderland Trail. I really like the idea of a section hike but as I am rolling solo I don't see how it can happen logistically. My question is, has anyone or does anyone know if there are any options for getting a ride to either a trailhead or my truck after, say around a 100 mile section hike in Washington? I know Snoqualmie to Stevens is a popular section, maybe there is a possibility there? Any info would be greatly appreciated, although I imagine the Wonderland Trail would obviously be a more realistic plan for a solo dude. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 pm 
There is Greyhound bus service to Steven's Pass. Sadly no bus service from Snoqualmie, but you could hike down the Iron Horse trail from Snoqualmie to North Bend and Metro bus service. Another option is a loop starting/ending at Snoqualmie and using the old Cascade Crest trail and the PCT to loop over Dutch Miller Gap, that's only about 50 miles, but there are a number of side trips, like Spade Lake, that are worthwhile. The Wonderland trail requires a lot more bureaucracy and permits for designated campsites-- I think you are likely already SOL in terms of getting those permits for this year, unless you score a cancellation. Also note that the Wonderland involves a lot more elevation gain and loss. The PCT is engineered to minimize ups and downs, where as the Wonderland climbs up and over high ridges and drops down to cross rivers rather than contouring at a constant elevation forming an octopus shape.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm 
A Glacier Peak circumnavigation will deliver a divine, 100+ mile Wonderland Trail-like experience, but without any red tape. A good long stretch of the PCT is part of it and there are several routing options. And it can be done car-to-car, or with a relatively short road walk/hitchhike.