Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 am 
Ski wrote:
pfft! I was hoping to get out next week, but if there's a blanket of smoke over there that's a deal-killer.... did that last year and it was a major buzzkill. down.gif
Where is there NO smoke? Looks like the whole west coast has it except maybe around Neah Bay.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am 
My daughters crew are posting signs today at TH痴 up Grade Creek That trails where they enter the Sawtooth Wilderness are closed areas like Old Maid, Sunrise, Merchants Basin etc...

Living in the Anthropocene
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 am 
RichP

RichP
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 am 
I drove across most of the state yesterday and it is smoky everywhere. It was also never lower than 95 degrees anywhere and even hotter in some areas. Looking forward to the upcoming cool weather that should give us a break though it may be short-lived based on the forecast.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm 
Cougar Creek fire column from my driveway tonight.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 pm 
'Spose to get some wind tomorrow or tonight. Not fun

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 pm 
RichP wrote:
I drove across most of the state yesterday and it is smoky everywhere. It was also never lower than 95 degrees anywhere and even hotter in some areas. Looking forward to the upcoming cool weather that should give us a break though it may be short-lived based on the forecast.
I looked at a satellite image today early afternoon and it is unbelievable how much smoke there is throughout the West. Entire California inland valley, most of Oregon and Washington but especially eastern, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Northern Arizona, much of Colorado. https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/10/us/smoke-california-wildfire-reaches-nyc-wxc-trnd/index.html Take a look at the visible satellite image after mid-day.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 pm 
From the U.S. Forest Service - Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Facebook page:
Quote:
Mazama, Winthrop and Twisp Areas: Overnight, lightning storms ignited 17 small fires on the Methow Valley Ranger District in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. The majority of these new starts are north of Highway 20 and the closest staffed fire is approximately 3 miles NE of Mazama, WA. Multiple resources including smokejumpers, fire crews, and fire engines are currently responding to seven of these fires that range in size from two acres to less than 1/10 acre. This a rapidly developing situation with more new starts being identified and management strategies developed for each new fire.

gb

gb
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 1:12 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
From the U.S. Forest Service - Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Facebook page:
Quote:
Mazama, Winthrop and Twisp Areas: Overnight, lightning storms ignited 17 small fires on the Methow Valley Ranger District in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. The majority of these new starts are north of Highway 20 and the closest staffed fire is approximately 3 miles NE of Mazama, WA. Multiple resources including smokejumpers, fire crews, and fire engines are currently responding to seven of these fires that range in size from two acres to less than 1/10 acre. This a rapidly developing situation with more new starts being identified and management strategies developed for each new fire.
This looks really bad; there are a great number of strikes in Northern Washington east of the Cascade Crest and in SE BC, looking to be mostly along the Monashee range extending to the Rockies near Mt. Robson, and Northern Vancouver Island. BC is close to being as dry as we are. Smoke, smoke and more smoke and lost forests. https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/america/index.php?bo_page=map&bo_showmap=north_middle_america&bo_period=24&lang=en The origin of the lightning complex at least inland looks to have come from another f'ing thermal trough that is still parked between Golden and Canbrook. After mid-week this coming week we should get the smoke from the Twisp fire and new Washington and BC fires which will be a relief from the smoke from California fires. up.gif

gb

gb
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 1:34 pm 
Jasper hit 33.7C yesterday with the record for today being set at 33.7C way back in 2017. Banff yesterday hit 34.2C with it's all-time record from the mid-1930's being right at that level. But don't worry "experts" like Cliff Mass say that we are not really feeling the effects of GW yet. I am pissed off at the disingenuous blogger who yesterday published on the California fires distorting a fair bit of data - most notably his data stopped at 2010 whereas Calfire data shows that most of the worst years have been since 2010 or just slightly before. The blogger thinks he knows better than the Chief of Calfire regarding, you guessed it, California fires.

John_B

John_B
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 2:23 pm 
I stopped reading Cliff Mass's blog years ago and can't say I miss it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 2:40 pm 
Right now it is smoky and quite windy. We get ash now and then. The wind does not help things at all. There is the Snowy Mountain Fire to the north, which may cross the boundary eventually. Lines are being put in on the U.S. side in anticipation of that happening. Meanwhile, I feel bad about the crews on the Cougar fire who ended up spending a night in a safety zone because a lowboy trailer tipped on its side along with the dozer it was carrying and blocked the road. What a downer for those crews!

gb

gb
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 4:37 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Right now it is smoky and quite windy. We get ash now and then. The wind does not help things at all.
The strongest onshore winds develop Wednesday and Thursday. Until then the smoke should be better. But any fires that are not out by then will blow up in the winds which are followed by hot temperatures once again.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 4:40 pm 
Bootpathguy, Chelan has the worst air quality in the state right now. Last I checked it was in the hazardous category (WAQA Value: Hazardous384). Nice and clear here in the big city today (WAQA Value:Good 17). https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 11, 2018 7:58 pm 
The Okanogan Valley has been pretty bad today also. It's a bit less now, but I am coughing from it. The wind blew pretty good and now it is a bit cooler. 80 something is way better than 100 something. I'm trying to figure out somewhere to go where the air would be cleaner but think that is futile as fires are breaking out all over today. A house that burned on the fourth of July rekindled today!