Forum Index > Trail Talk > Current Wildfire status
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am 
For comparison....I just check air quality. As of 1100 today... The “aqi ” in Seattle is 40 It is 279 in Twisp....top of the very “unhealthy” range. Omak slightly better, 230. About the same in Winthrop. 187 in Spokane. Up Twisp River, near the Crescent Fire it is 830.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 am 
I am sure that fire crews up the Twisp River are dealing with horking up the black stuff. Nowhere near that here--just rawish throats.
Usually there is a view of the hills in the background.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm 
re: Jake Robinson's post on previous page with link to KOMO news article: https://komonews.com/news/local/wildfire-smoke-returns-again-to-western-washington-as-bc-fires-rage is there a link to that map shown in the article? this is not looking good. was hoping to take off this week and am now wondering if it's not such a good idea - looks from that map like the west slope of the Olympics has got more haze and smoke than we do here in the South Sound. huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tinman

tinman
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:06 pm 
Ski, we have a little haze here in Forks right now, just enough for it to be noticeable. 81° at my house. Not sure about down by the Queets but the DOT webcam doesn't look like it's really hazy there either.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:55 pm 
tinman wrote:
"...the DOT webcam..."
That one's less than a mile from the coast, pointed toward the south, and unfortunately doesn't offer a picture of what's happening 20 miles inland. Right now all those on 101 are looking a bit sketchy to me - brightly lit with white skies - and the one up at Hecklesville Shed looks as hazy as it is here now. Oddly the one at Rock Candy Mountain (on Hwy 8) is showing blue sky in the background - go figure. Looking across Commencement Bay I can see Browns Point, but not Redondo. The south end of Vashon Island is pretty fuzzy. I am rapidly losing my motivation to start stuffing gear into my pack. rant.gif That map in that KOMO article has got to have a URL somewhere.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tinman

tinman
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm 
Update, I took a drive up the Upper Hoh Road, can't see Mt. Olympus at all so It is pretty smoky up high. ? 10 miles or less? visibility.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
gb

gb
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:10 pm 
Visibility east of Rainier began at perhaps ten miles this morning but by 2:30 pm it was on the order of 2-3 miles. Rainier is nowhere to be found.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 pm 
* only because there are so many of you who won't click on the "stewardship" forum: Secretary Zinke Says Climate Change Is Not Responsible for California Wildfires, Blames Environmentalists (* just thought you might enjoy a good laugh this evening while you're enjoying the aroma of California and BC going up in flames. *)

gb

gb
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 pm 
Ski wrote:
* only because there are so many of you who won't click on the "stewardship" forum: Secretary Zinke Says Climate Change Is Not Responsible for California Wildfires, Blames Environmentalists (* just thought you might enjoy a good laugh this evening while you're enjoying the aroma of California and BC going up in flames. *)
Pretty stupid, I'll go with Climatologists and Fire experts. Zinne couldn't forecast his way out of a paperbag. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/07/30/how-climate-change-is-making-disasters-like-the-carr-fire-more-likely/?utm_term=.f557df94f91e

gb

gb
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm 
Anyway, as to trip planning, I just looked out ten days and it does not look good. Wednesday PM goes onshore but there is quite a bit of smoke in the Georgia Strait and even out offshore so it may take awhile. But there is little time. Thursday may well be quite good although still pretty warm in the mountains. Friday starts out good but if winds go northerly we'll see Prince George smoke again at some point. Then, to me, the winds stay northerly for several days and we get the Prince George Smoke. There is also a huge fire in the Stikine but I don't know if that smoke can reach us. Also, any low level offshore winds, which could happen, and we get the Twisp and Cougar smoke. As it stands now a week from Wednesday the winds could be favorable for clearing smoke once again. But southerly winds also show up about a week out, too. The whole ball of wax is pretty complex and the weather models may shift enough to throw things into disarray. I wouldn't bet past Thursday and early Friday getting better and later Friday to Sunday or Monday worsening.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:18 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Reposting Merlin's info from another thread: The Chiwawa River Road is now closed due to the Cougar Creek Fire.
Forest service website says Chiwawa river road is still open. Take a look and see

none
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 pm 
Interesting. I saw Merlin's post at the same time I saw a social media post from a ranger who said he was in charge of shutting down the Chiwawa River Road, so I took it as truth. I'll delete my post in case it's bad info. Thanks for catching this.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:37 pm 
There's a long list of trail closures effective 8/12/18 - Buck Creek, Chiwawa River, Phelps Creek, Leroy Basin, Carne Mtn, Little Giant, Rock Creek, Old Gib, Estes Butte, Basalt Peak,and Schafer Lake with a requirement to Exit Immediately. Here's the link to the notice: https://www.facebook.com/cougarcreekfire/posts/1885655285064469

iron

iron
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 pm 
Jordan wrote:
Forest service website says Chiwawa river road is still open. Take a look and see
the day i trust the FS website to be up to date is the day i believe a politician.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 pm 
Ski wrote:
We just need to outlaw rivers, then we won't have this problem. Maybe ban trees, too, still undecided on that one.