Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 pm 
Alpine Pedestrian wrote:
There's a long list of trail closures effective 8/12/18 - Buck Creek, Chiwawa River, Phelps Creek, Leroy Basin, Carne Mtn, Little Giant, Rock Creek, Old Gib, Estes Butte, Basalt Peak,and Schafer Lake with a requirement to Exit Immediately. Here's the link to the notice: https://www.facebook.com/cougarcreekfire/posts/1885655285064469
Damn.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:39 pm 
Isn't there a way into buck creek pass from the Suiattle river?

none
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm 
I don't think you understand, Jordan. The "exit immediately" means the areas listed, regardless of how you enter.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:50 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
I don't think you understand, Jordan. The "exit immediately" means the areas listed, regardless of how you enter.
Actually, Alpine Rose, you dont quite understand how the trail systems work or where I am going. Doesnt say anything about suiattle river trail, buck creek PASS trail, miners ridge trail, PCT south of suiattle pass, flower dome trail, or liberty cap trail. So tell me again AR what dont I understand about it? Obviously you have not been to this area before. Wasnt planning on coming in the suiattle side then dropping way into the phelps creek or buck creek basins. You know there are other trails up there. Duh

none
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:58 am 
Another smoke reported last night in the Okanogan Highlands. We shall see if all the work pays off. That area has been logged and has had prescribed fire here and there so may not be as volatile as wilderness areas.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm 
Not a great day to be in the Enchantments

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 pm 
Here is a picture from yesterday at about 4700 feet on a ridge above the Mountain Loop Highway. This was taken looking west. The haze was so thick looking east into the Monte Cristo Range and north towards the Glacier Peak Wilderness that I didn’t even bother taking a photo. We could barely see the outline of the closest peak to us. We are postponing a planned backpacking trip until we can actually see where we are going.
8/13/18
8/13/18

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 pm 
Hurricane Ridge? eek.gif shakehead.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:00 pm 
I took a media tour of the Maple Fire yesterday. Fire is 35% contained and is moving slowly. It is burning in the underbrush. Fire will be contained to North, South and West. Fire will be allowed to burn to the east until it goes out. Lena Lake trail, Hamma Hamma Cabin and all the campgrounds should be safe. Even Jefferson Ridge does not look too bad at the moment.. just a few patches of torched trees. They have done some backburning and were able to save most of the trees and burn just the underbrush in the back burn area. A sprinkler line has been set up above and to the South of Elk Lakes. http://mosswalks.blogspot.com/2018/08/maple-fire-media-tour.html More pictures on my blog.
All rights reserved.  Media outlets may purchase these.
All rights reserved. Media outlets may purchase these.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm 

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:07 am 
Dry tstorms passed through the Wenatchee area this a.m. not enough to wake me up but it woke up my wife and got the dogs fired up. On radar heading NNE through Chelan - Pateros.

Living in the Anthropocene
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 am 
As of Friday 8:20 a.m. the NIFC server does not have new perimeter data for any of the fires below. Perhaps there was not an infrared overflight last night (Thursday night). The maps show the latest satellite hotspot data but the perimeters are from an infrared flight on Wednesday night. Crescent Mountain fire, aka Gilbert fire. Jumped the back burn that was done at War Creek. Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.404812,-120.490837&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,Gilbert Cougar Creek fire. Expanding to the west. Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.803245,-120.443802&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,cougar_creek McLeod fire. Big expansion into Lost River drainage and elsewhere. Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.685527,-120.363464&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,McLeod

gb

gb
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Dry tstorms passed through the Wenatchee area this a.m. not enough to wake me up but it woke up my wife and got the dogs fired up. On radar heading NNE through Chelan - Pateros.
Modeling and NWS thought that such activity would be just in NE Oregon and perhaps in the Blue Mountains. I could see this essentially a train of showers and thunderstorms moving up along the Sierra Crest yesterday morning and then into Eastern Oregon late in the day. God, I hope it didn't hit the Cascades. Up to 48 hour view of recent lightning It seems certain there would be a multitude of new starts in Eastern Northeastern Oregon and likely the Blues. Nevada also got lit up yesterday. There is another risk Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday as another more or less dry trough is likely to develop just SW of Astoria. It could rain at the end of the period but by then it would be too late to stop any fires that might develop.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 am 
Joey wrote:
Cougar Creek fire. Expanding to the west. Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.803245,-120.443802&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,cougar_creek
this sucks. We were planning on spending Labor day up on the Entiat/Chumstick ridge area

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am 
I'm not sure that's correct. I have been following the briefings on the Cougar Creek fire on facebook (they're super informative on how they fight this!) and they have been very confident on their fire lines there. They have been widening the line by starting fire on the inside of the line. It might be that you're simply seeing that. https://www.facebook.com/pg/cougarcreekfire/posts/ They posted some nice photos also https://www.facebook.com/pg/cougarcreekfire/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1887503814879616