PostThu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm 
Sleeping in?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 5:11 pm 
timberghost wrote:
Sleeping in?
No chance of that. Some people on this forum think I get up too early on backpacking trips to have pre-dawn coffee. When I am at home I get up at 3:30 am each morning to feed my wife's friggn' cat. So I end up having coffee at about the same time as when I am out on a trip with the infamous Wildernessed.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 6:40 pm 
So Wenatchee has blue sky? I may have to go there tomorrow. We are still socked in with smoke and it got worse throughout the day. Whaaaaaaah. bawl.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Frango

Frango
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 7:27 am 
timberghost wrote:
I was talking to a family friend in his 80's. He told me on the real dry years they used to shut the woods down all together. Any one have any knowledge of this?
I知 from BC. In the 70s and early 80s that definitely was a thing. I can remember seeing the signs posted on the riding/hiking trails as a kid - they were afraid of sparks from the horseshoes. Logging would get closed first along with motorized recreation, and finally the bush would be closed to all.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 pm 
Wildfires in Germany are setting off old ww2 explosives At least we don't have THAT to contend with!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 12:36 pm 
As Sportin' Life said "T'aint necessarily so." Recall the IED found on Orcas. Think there was just the one?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 pm 
Oh ya good point.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 pm 
Just spent 11 days hiking the high sierra out of Bishop no smoke. Now in Mammoth no smoke. Some North keep happy GW is just a myth.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 5:29 am 
Friday night (8/24) there was an infrared overflight for each fire you see below. Using that data, fire staff determined the latest perimeter and acres burned. Cougar Creek fire 41,309 acres Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.816861,-120.550919&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,cougar_creek Crescent Mountain fire, aka Gilbert fire 42,763 acres. Burned over Buttermilk Butte Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.327265,-120.425606&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,Gilbert McLeod fire. 20,001 acres Open online map: https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.695045,-120.344925&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&fire=WA,McLeod

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 am 
This is not current at all. But it's shocking. Here's an image from August of last year.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm 
I wonder what the picture would look like in 1910? Or the Tillamook Burn? Or during any of the past big conflagrations?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 1:07 pm 
Joey wrote:
fire staff determined the latest perimeter and acres burned
In round numbers, 100,000 acres burned.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 6:50 pm 
For those who were hoping that band of weather that swept down from the northwest, skirted past Vancouver Island, and flew through here earlier today might provide some relief from the smoke: I got about 37 raindrops on my truck earlier today driving over to TJ's and the fish store and back, and a tiny sprinkling this morning that was just enough to dampen my sleeping bag and tent that I'd unpacked last night and hung on a line in back, but per my brief phone conversation with Intern Morgan at Kalaloch, they got zero precipitation out there on the coast, and the only wet pavement I saw earlier on any of the DOT webcams was way up near Neah Bay. huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 7:25 pm 
I think we got 36 raindrops here in the Smoky Okanogan. It did bring in some wind, but I see no difference in the smoke. Maybe there is more to come...moisture, I mean.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Aug 25, 2018 11:28 pm 
In another thread here ("Enchantments"), two users have cancelled scheduled trips because of smoke conditions. One has to wonder what kind of economic impact this is having on the tourism industry here in Washington State. The parking lot at the Kalaloch store was full yesterday, and there were at least half a dozen people waiting in line to buy over-priced wine, chips, firewood, and lattes. The campground was full, all the cabins were rented out, and people were asking where they can camp at the ranger station. I wonder, though, if that's the case all over, or if other areas are seeing declines in tourism dollars because of the smoke. Just curious.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."