Forum Index > Trail Talk > Current Wildfire status
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 5:13 am 
I don't know but we got 73 drops of rain up the Beckler. Plenty of smoke and plenty of tent campers along the road

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 8:18 am 
Even though the instruments at the weather site do not agree, the air is clearer here than it has been since the beginning of the smoke. I can see the hills to the east easily. They are still smoky but can be seen. It looks like it may have rained more last night. Hope we get more.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 9:00 am 
Remond is 102 Sammamish and Issaquah are 9 Seems like the cooler air is settling around the lake and the higher areas are clearer.

"May you live in interesting times"
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 am 
NWS claims 60% chance of rain today and tonight. I'm hoping! Wanna wash that smoke right outta my air! Here in the Portland area, air quality is Good (19) right now, and I'm breathing deeply!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 am 
Ski wrote:
In another thread here ("Enchantments"), two users have cancelled scheduled trips because of smoke conditions. One has to wonder what kind of economic impact this is having on the tourism industry here in Washington State. The parking lot at the Kalaloch store was full yesterday, and there were at least half a dozen people waiting in line to buy over-priced wine, chips, firewood, and lattes. The campground was full, all the cabins were rented out, and people were asking where they can camp at the ranger station. I wonder, though, if that's the case all over, or if other areas are seeing declines in tourism dollars because of the smoke. Just curious.
I was thinking I'd buy a house in Twisp to retire to. The smoke has changed my mind about that. Beth suggested that I could put it on AirBnB over the summer and go to Alaska or something. But who would want to rent a house where the AQI is 300, and there might be an evacuation? I love the Methow and spend a lot of time there, I asked people last year and they said the smoke was dampening all the local businesses. This summer I haven't been back because of the smoke. frown.gif

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 am 
We've gotten light rain the last few days in the San Juans- more like a heavy dew, not much different than humidity. On a positive note, I spoke with the Darrington rangers several days ago and the small fires on the Downry and Sulphur Creeks are low-intensity ground fires, "creeping" through and clearing the understory. Those are Good fires.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am 
It has been sprinkling off and on this morning. We got enough so my dog buried her bone and wanted back inside. It was enough to wet the dog. Hope we get more rain.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 1:43 pm 
Ski wrote:
One has to wonder what kind of economic impact this is having on the tourism industry here in Washington State.
I've heard that at least some of the local tourism industry folks have started to think about future summers, and how to mix in "indoor options" as backups for folks. Seems they expect people to start planning trips elsewhere based on what we've been experiencing. I imagine the impact has already been real, but may be worse in the future, at least for folks coming from outside of our region. And while I doubt the local population is going to shrink (some may move out but more will move in to replace them due to the jobs that brought people here in the first place), I would not be surprised if places that depend on small purchases from day trippers are experiencing a measurable decline in business this August and that this will remain the case in the future if this is the new normal.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 2:15 pm 
Starting to run out of places to burn over here in the Methow Valley... So should be less smoke in the years to come... bawl.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 3:05 pm 
pasayten wrote:
Starting to run out of places to burn over here in the Methow Valley
I've been wondering. Maybe we're getting past a wave of the worst for awhile. We can hope... Does anyone know what type of lands are burning in B.C.? All types or is it more the monoculture forestry sites? Has anyone looked into this?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 3:11 pm 
DadFly wrote:
Sammamish and Issaquah are 9
Note the Issq-Samm sensor measures only O3 not smoke particles. (As does the Mt. Rainier one) These can stay green even when the entire state is red or purple. Sometimes in the late afternoon on a sunny day, these sensors show higher O3 as ozone builds up. Not all the Dept. of Ecology air sensors measure the same pollutants. Check or uncheck the various categories on the top bar to view the different combinations at different locations. Or drill down to an individual sensor site and click "View site information". For example, the Issq-Samm sensor measures only O3, the Bellevue sensor only PM2.5 particles, and North Bend both O3 and PM2.5.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 3:21 pm 
FiresideChats wrote:
Does anyone know what type of lands are burning in B.C.?
I can't answer that question specifically, but I do know it's not just monoculture. A lot of it is in unmanaged forest and the provincial parks. When I went to Bowron Lakes in 2004, I was horrified to see how sick the trees looked during many miles of driving to the park and in the park. Most trees were brown or browning due to some infestation (mountain pine beetle?). Now large tracts of those infested forests are burning. One of the largest wildfires is due west of Bowron Lakes, where I'd have seen those sick trees. Considering how big BC is and how much forest it has, much of which is sick, it's scary to think how we will be blanketed in its wildfire smoke for many summers to come. BC Wildfires. Beautiful British Columbia.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 pm 
^ same situation in Colorado - just different tree species and different types of bugs. the Gifford Pinchot will be in the same condition within a couple decades if they don't get in and start mowing down some trees on some of those units which were cut and replanted in the 60s 70s and 80s. on the bright side: in 5 or 6 weeks the monsoon will arrive, the smoke will clear, and all this hand-wringing will stop and all will be forgotten until next year when the cycle will start all over again. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 4:07 pm 
Ski wrote:
all will be forgotten
Not by me. I never got rid of my cough from last year.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Aug 26, 2018 5:03 pm 
It won't be forgotten by me, either; I've been wheezing since last summer's smoke! At least we are getting some rain here, east of Portland.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey