Triton
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 pm 
previous thread on this incident posted earlier today. also posted in the "wolf" thread in the stewardship forum.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 8:50 pm 
Ruh roh. Was thinking about heading that way with faithful slightly used dog. No fun now. Maybe time to pack some extra weight.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostThu Jul 12, 2018 10:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Ruh roh. Was thinking about heading that way with faithful slightly used dog. No fun now. Maybe time to pack some extra weight.
Eating too much can lead to a heart attack or diabetes.

Mikey

Mikey
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 4:25 am 
Possibly the wolves in Washington State have adapted to having little fear of humans because these wolves have never been shot at. Wolves appear to feed on smaller easier to get prey (sheep, calves, deer, etc) but will attack and kill larger animals such as elk, cattle, and even horses. Wolves Kill Prized Quarter Horse in Darby, Montana May 30 2011 It has been stated that gray wolves will attack and kill large prey, such as elk, moose, mountain lions and bears, yet wolf protectors deny that wolves could bring down a grizzly, take on a wild cat and the like. Yet, it is happening on a daily basis now. It was predicted, wolves would resort to livestock killing, first taking on the easiest of kills – sheep, and family pets. That has happened. The same predictions said as the wild canines got hungrier from the destruction of their own food source, would move into residential areas looking for food. That too has happened and is becoming more frequent. It has been argued whether or not wolves would attack and take down a horse. Wolf protectionists have denied such an event has ever happened and would never happen. Robert Fanning, founder of Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd, reminded us all yesterday that in Will Graves’ book, “Wolves in Russia: Anxiety Through the Ages“, the author pointed out that wolf attacks on horses were a common thing in Russia and other Asian and European countries. And now, we have a confirmed attack and kill by wolves on a family’s prized quarter horse in Darby, Montana. Treeswarper: I have carried extra weight for many years but very rarely have need to use the weight. Came very close to considering it when 2 wolf looking canines (WDFW official position that there were no wolves in SW Wash. but now I know that the official position is based on "official sitings" only) stalked me to a distance of about 12 ft when I was fishing (wearing hip boots in river with water up to above my knees). After yelling loudly at the 2 wolves, they slowly turned around (startled look on their face), walked out of the river water, and trotted into the woods. The stalking wolves which crept toward me were crouched on the ground (unfortunately I did not have my camera). Come to think of it, I have never seen a video of such as wolf stalk, possibly because wolves run down their prey whereas I was standing in one place casting into the river (steelhead fishing). Looking on the internet, there are videos of a wolf stalking prey.

Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 am 
1821 Hudson’s Bay Company establishes fur trading posts in the Northwest. 1843 Bounties are placed on wolves in the Oregon Territory. 1850 to 1900 Wolves become scarce across most of Washington and Oregon. Populations of elk and many other carnivores and game animals decline similarly across the region. 1909 U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt creates Olympic National Monument to protect remaining Roosevelt elk; wolves are already scarce in the Olympic Peninsula. 1910 Oregon issues a moratorium on elk hunting; wolves are close to extinct in the state. 1920 Last confirmed wolf specimen is collected in Washington State from the western side of the Olympic Mountains, though reliable sightings in the Olympics are reported in the 1920s, 1930s, and even as late as the early 1950s.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:22 am 
They might not have been here in the numbers like now but they have been here. Agree packing will be a way here out

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 am 
And I did not like living in Up Nort Wisconsin because I'd hear on the radio reports of "active wolf packs" in the backcountry areas with recommendations of not taking dogs along on hikes in those areas. Mikey, you probably heard the rumors of wolves being in SW Warshington. The locals around Randle said there was a pack introduced secretly about ten or more years ago in the Mt St Helens area. Was wondering about how a slingshot would work? We were bike riding up near Lone Frank Pass and my friend had bear spray and an air horn along.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 6:45 am 
This whole thread is a whole bunch of BS. I have heard....somebody said....locals say...now there is a "secretly placed pack near Mt. St. Helens" huh.gif . sounds like Trump. I can understand why none of you like facts. WDFW real data on wolf packs in Washington - how about St. Helens?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 7:10 am 
What part of secret do you not understand? Nor local gossip, which oddly enough often turns out to be true? Did you read Mikey's post about a sighting? Most folks I know in the Randle area would not report a sighting to any agency. They would not be taken seriously, and if they were, it would have to be confirmed. Are you familiar with the terrain and the brush in that part of the country?

gb

gb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 7:23 am 
treeswarper wrote:
What part of secret do you not understand? Nor local gossip, which oddly enough often turns out to be true? Did you read Mikey's post about a sighting?
Was this sighting of the extraterrestrial?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 8:16 am 
mikey wrote:
(WDFW official position that there were no wolves in SW Wash. but now I know that the official position is based on "official sitings" only.)
Because, as we all know, only the "experts" can be trusted to tell us what they want us to know. Believing the little charts and graphs is the definition of "leap of faith" for those who have watched a state wildlife agency mismanage the resource they've been charged with "managing" due to incompetence, ineptitude, and indifference for decades. Will WDFW's "official" position on this incident be that these weren't really wolves at all because they weren't seen by a WDFW employee?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:14 am 
gb wrote:
I can understand why none of you like facts. WDFW real data on wolf packs in Washington - how about St. Helens?
There's at least one west side pack not on that map and seen by many, including myself.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:21 am 
More than one I believe

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am 
I've never heard of Robert Fanning, but before I got to the Will Graves' attribution, I knew I was reading bull hockey. "Yet, it is happening on a daily basis now". Yes please, super size that large order of fearmongering. After reading the 3 newspaper accounts of "what happened", it's not entirely clear to me what did happen. It IS clear how many people have "filled in" the space between the dots of information. Ditto Schroder's comment on the other thread. . . "I don't see anywhere in those articles that the wolves "chased" the researcher up a tree or were aggressive."

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler