Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolves near winthrop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hbb

hbb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am 
Good, hopefully this will discourage folks from going out and I can have a bit more solitude out there this weekend.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:20 pm 
Just remembered finding the tracks of a wolf in fresh snow up Smith Creek out of Packwood and reports of one being seen around there in 2008. For you doubters, cuz it isn't in the data, there was about a foot of new snow, the crew plus me were following a cat which was plowing the road in--there were no vehicle tracks or other people tracks. The Cat stopped and we all got out to look at the tracks which were too big to be coyote. But it wasn't "reported" or in a data base so I guess it didn't happen. The Slightly Used Dog and I went for a walk this morning in the woods on the south summit. We saw no humans, no wolves, but the flies were becoming annoying when I got back to the truck, which was intact.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
After reading the 3 newspaper accounts of "what happened", it's not entirely clear to me what did happen. It IS clear how many people have "filled in" the space between the dots of information. Ditto Schroder's comment on the other thread. . . "I don't see anywhere in those articles that the wolves "chased" the researcher up a tree or were aggressive."
Oh... you noticed that too? lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 pm 
Plus I now see that I am stupid for having a fear for my dog getting chewed up. Is it stupid to be afraid of heights? Is it stupid to have a fear of water? See where I'm going? If anything you experts disagree with is stupid, we have a problem. And I don't watch Fox News, in fact I don't have a TV. I won't go into the politics that are hinted at by some of the more intelligent on here. I simply do not want to share the area with either wolves or grizzlies. Period. Did anybody ever consider reading the book by an actual wolf trapper who worked in Alaska trapping wolves for a few decades? I have recommended it but guess most won't read anything that might not jive with their beliefs. It's called having to think and maybe consider another view of a subject. Try it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:39 pm 
Maybe a more detailed account will be written by a local reporter in the Okanogan Chronicle. It'll be out next Wednesday as it is a weekly newspaper.

gb

gb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 1:41 pm 
Schroder wrote:
gb wrote:
I can understand why none of you like facts. WDFW real data on wolf packs in Washington - how about St. Helens?
There's at least one west side pack not on that map and seen by many, including myself.
Personally I've seen two wolves in Western Washington including one in 1991. As far as I know that wolf didn't kill any livestock........the other was eating a roadkill elk. A pack anyway is likely just a few animals. I'll still be able to sleep and I won't be packing when hiking. Too much weight just slows me down.

hbb

hbb
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm 
Some media outlets are reporting on a US Fish and Wildlife press release. I can't find the release, but apparently it states that this incident took place within a kilometer of a known Loup Loup pack den, and at least one collared wolf was reportedly in the vicinity of the treed researcher. More here: https://www.ncwlife.com/wolves-involved-in-student-rescue-are-members-of-loup-loup-pack/

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 pm 
Quote:
Plus I now see that I am stupid for having a fear for my dog getting chewed up.
No one said you were stupid. That's a rational fear. A rational response would be to keep your dog on a leash. (btw, no one can make you feel stupid without your permission.)
Quote:
I simply do not want to share the area with either wolves or grizzlies.
So move someplace where you know they don't live. They were here first. Before we slaughtered most of them. They deserve areas where they can live out their lives. But, hey, at least you're being honest.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Is it stupid to be afraid of heights? Is it stupid to have a fear of water? See where I'm going? If anything you experts disagree with is stupid, we have a problem. And I don't watch Fox News, in fact I don't have a TV. I won't go into the politics that are hinted at by some of the more intelligent on here. I simply do not want to share the area with either wolves or grizzlies. Period.
It's stupid to not want to share the area with heights or water if that "area" is the wilderness. So no, it's not stupid to be afraid of those things. If you are afraid of those things, stay out of the wilderness. Cuz along with wolves and bears, there are heights and water

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:24 pm 
Bevery Garland scream
Bevery Garland scream
WDFW press release of 07/13/18 posted here

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Mikey

Mikey
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 pm 
AlpineRose: As I am sure you know, the wolf population was greatly reduced in Wash State because of wolf predation on livestock. If wolves did not kill cattle, sheep, etc, the Washingtonians would not have killed off most (but not all) Washington wolves. Wolves do not deserve to live out their lives in populated areas unless the wolves avoid problems such as killing livestock. I have had easy opportunity to shoot Washington State 3 wolves (1 in the Teanaway before the Teanaway wolf pack was officially identified and 2 in SW Washington) as they were very close but I had no reason for doing so (I was alone in these encounters). Years ago my Dad, Sister, neighbor, and I saw 2 wolves in Elk Meadows west of Hanaford Lake (NW of Mt St Helens) and my Dad had a camera but did not take a photo, probably because to the locals, sighting wolves was not a rare occurrence. We were hiking to fish Hanaford Lake (about 7 mile hike, 3,400 elevation gain from Spirit Lake Highway).

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:41 pm 
Mikey wrote:
Wolves do not deserve to live out their lives in populated areas unless the wolves avoid problems such as killing livestock.
Are you f'ing kidding? Wolves deserve to exist in their natural habitat. And they deserve to "wolf" in that habitat. Humans can protect their livestock.

gray matter

gray matter
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 5:53 pm 
Mikey wrote:
Possibly the wolves in Washington State have adapted to having little fear of humans because these wolves have never been shot at. Wolves appear to feed on smaller easier to get prey (sheep, calves, deer, etc) but will attack and kill larger animals such as elk, cattle, and even horses. Wolves Kill Prized Quarter Horse in Darby, Montana May 30 2011 It has been stated that gray wolves will attack and kill large prey, such as elk, moose, mountain lions and bears, yet wolf protectors deny that wolves could bring down a grizzly, take on a wild cat and the like. Yet, it is happening on a daily basis now. It was predicted, wolves would resort to livestock killing, first taking on the easiest of kills – sheep, and family pets. That has happened. The same predictions said as the wild canines got hungrier from the destruction of their own food source, would move into residential areas looking for food. That too has happened and is becoming more frequent. It has been argued whether or not wolves would attack and take down a horse. Wolf protectionists have denied such an event has ever happened and would never happen. Robert Fanning, founder of Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd, reminded us all yesterday that in Will Graves’ book, “Wolves in Russia: Anxiety Through the Ages“, the author pointed out that wolf attacks on horses were a common thing in Russia and other Asian and European countries. And now, we have a confirmed attack and kill by wolves on a family’s prized quarter horse in Darby, Montana. Treeswarper: I have carried extra weight for many years but very rarely have need to use the weight. Came very close to considering it when 2 wolf looking canines (WDFW official position that there were no wolves in SW Wash. but now I know that the official position is based on "official sitings" only) stalked me to a distance of about 12 ft when I was fishing (wearing hip boots in river with water up to above my knees). After yelling loudly at the 2 wolves, they slowly turned around (startled look on their face), walked out of the river water, and trotted into the woods. The stalking wolves which crept toward me were crouched on the ground (unfortunately I did not have my camera). Come to think of it, I have never seen a video of such as wolf stalk, possibly because wolves run down their prey whereas I was standing in one place casting into the river (steelhead fishing). Looking on the internet, there are videos of a wolf stalking prey.
Mikey, Would you please care to elaborate on that link that you provided in this message? What is the intent of linking this particular video? If you're trolling, quality work. If not, you've got me thoroughly confused. Hint to others who didn't bother clicking the link: it's a parody video.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Wolves do not deserve to live out their lives in populated areas unless the wolves avoid problems such as killing livestock.
Are you f'ing kidding? Wolves deserve to exist in their natural habitat. And they deserve to "wolf" in that habitat. Humans can protect their livestock.
Folks raising livestock, providing those nicely wrapped packages of meat available at your local grocery store, do not need to suffer extra financial losses from manually reintroduced predators. It's impossible to protect livestock as you are suggesting.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:53 pm 
Kat wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Folks raising livestock, providing those nicely wrapped packages of meat available at your local grocery store, do not need to suffer extra financial losses from manually reintroduced predators. It's impossible to protect livestock as you are suggesting.
No, it isn't. Wolves were here first. They are an important part of the eco system. Look at what they did for Yellowstone. Livestock can be protected as much as possible and losses worked into the cost to do business. Wolves were here first.