Forum Index > Gear Talk > compass reversed polarity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 5:51 pm 
Has anyone had experience repairing a compass that has flipped polarity. Can you somehow use a magnet to make it revert back to normal? How reliable a fix is this? I was somewhat surprised to realize my compass had flipped polarity. Fortunately I was still able to use it to take a bearing for dead reckoning on a spot on a distant ridge, before dropping into a deeply forested valley. That's all I really ever use it for so it's still useful to me as is. Would be nice to fix it though...
compass-2
compass-2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 6:36 pm 
I had this happen to me in Switzerland, with one of those cheap zipper pull compasses. I assume it was caused by the electric train, which was working pretty hard climbing into the Alps. When I got off the train in Grindelwald, I found that the sun was setting in the east! I was able to adapt, but ditched the little compass before my flight back to the US. Were you near a big power source when this happened? I'd just replace the compass!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
huron

huron
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 7:01 pm 
False is true. Left is right. Order is chaos. What were you expecting?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 7:07 pm 
pcg wrote:
Can you somehow use a magnet to make it revert back to normal?
I recall from 7th grade science class that stroking with the correct end of a strong magnet might work.
pcg wrote:
How reliable a fix is this?
I would not trust it. How did this happen? Did you store it close to a speaker or other item with a strong magnet?

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 pm 
If conditions are bad enough you really need a compass you need one that’s reliable. Buy a new one. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
pcg

pcg
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
How did this happen?
I have no idea. I keep that compass in the waist belt pocket of my waist camera bag. All I can think of is I must have set my camera bag down next to something with a strong EM field, but can't think what. If I'm not wearing it it's on the floor in the back seat of my truck are on a counter top at home. I'll probably just throw it away.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 8:39 pm 
Step down transformer on counter?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 pm 
A wire with a large DC current flowing such as a welding machine or a car starter cable can generate a strong field. A MRI or NMR device of course can flip the field but you would only find them in a hospital or reasearch facility.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 am 
pcg wrote:
Can you somehow use a magnet to make it revert back to normal? How reliable a fix is this?
Chuck it out. For as cheap (pun intended) as these little compasses are, they're not worth messing with. After reversal, did it point with the same "vigor" as before (and not just wander around a bit then finally settle in), but just in the wrong direction? It would be interesting to know how (& where) the compass got it's magnetism reversed. It had to have been a strong DC field, a transformer would not have done this. A transformer would have just erased all residual magnetism, and it would have then just pointed in random directions. Interesting.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 9:10 am 
The "strong DC field" would certainly apply to a European electric train, which makes my guess as to what happened to my el cheapo compass correct. That doesn't seem to apply to the OP, though.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 am 
The world is now filled with what are called "dirty EMFs". Maybe one of them zapped your compass.

pcg

pcg
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm 
I'm still totally clueless as to how this happened. Frankly I don't use a compass very much, relying instead on my internal compass, altimeter, and map. When I do it's to dead reckon on a bearing where I can't see my objective and can otherwise become disoriented. It mainly sits in my camera bag unused and I haven't taken it out for several months. I take my camera bag everywhere, almost daily; consequently there has been lots of opportunity for it to be exposed to something I wasn't aware of. I'm not aware of any of the suggested events above happening. Thanks for the suggestions on what might have caused this. I'm definitely going to be more mindful of where I place a compass from now on. Oh, and I feel a lot better now knowing that the world around us is getting filled with "dirty EMFs". NOT redface.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 2:49 pm 
A long shot but..... Do you have an Osprey pack with a magnetic mouthpiece holder for the water bladder hose? When I first got one I noticed I was getting whacky readings on my compass anywhere in the vicinity. Stuffed in a pocket or hanging from the neck next up against that strong magnetic could hose a compass, so to speak. I wrote Osprey about that being an issue, and their response was to send a buckle without the magnet, but they continue to make what seems like a really poorly thought out design.

friluftsliv
huron

huron
PostSun Jul 15, 2018 8:45 pm 
From Silva support 'It is possible to 'reverse' the reversed polarity using a strong magnet. This can be achieved by quickly flicking the magnet outwards along the 'north' end of the needle. Repeat vice-versa. Always ensure you compare with a compass that is known to be correct. Note: If you are unsure how to cure your Silva compass then Silva will always take back and re-magnetise your compass, no matter how old is.'